Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Kona spot. No need to qualify

For some people that's a drop in the ocean for the experience!  If it was for me I'd do that in a heartbeat, and anyone who wanted to complain to me would get a "suck it up buttercup" response while my chauffeur drove me away in my Bentley. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, goughy said:

For some people that's a drop in the ocean for the experience!  If it was for me I'd do that in a heartbeat, and anyone who wanted to complain to me would get a "suck it up buttercup" response while my chauffeur drove me away in my Bentley. 

Correct. A couple of my buddies in the USA offered to chip in & buy me a spot a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Correct. A couple of my buddies in the USA offered to chip in & buy me a spot a couple of years ago. 

You'd feel like a cheap whore if you took it - no such thing as a free lunch 👉👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AP said:

No I wouldn't. I just don't want to race Kona.

We raced Ironman Louisville the day before instead. It was a great race & lovely place to visit. Dropped past Colonial Sanders grave & paid our respects and thanked the man for the great chicken. Tuesday nights they have all you can eat KFC for $10. Good times.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AP said:

Just about anyone else would have jumped at it.  B@ had said many times that Kona holds no mystique for him, and this would prove it.  I'd have taken it, and wouldn't have batted an eye at it. It's not the Olympics, it's just a companies end of series race.  And it would have been my only chance to go!

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Just about anyone else would have jumped at it.  B@ had said many times that Kona holds no mystique for him, and this would prove it.  I'd have taken it, and wouldn't have batted an eye at it. It's not the Olympics, it's just a companies end of series race.  And it would have been my only chance to go!

Exactly it being a free race had nothing to do with it. I took up Ironmanfoz's offer to race in the USA.

• Like 1

Given bored@ has well and truely qualified to go to Kona under the legacy rule, 21 Ironmans I think. 

So if he wanted to do Kona that way he could. 

Despite what some people think.  There is more races and more to life than Kona. 

its not even a real world championships 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Given bored@ has well and truely qualified to go to Kona under the legacy rule, 21 Ironmans I think. 

So if he wanted to do Kona that way he could. 

Despite what some people think.  There is more races and more to life than Kona. 

its not even a real world championships 

I would have qualified at Arizona (I raced in the CEO category) but I was 300km away from roll downs the next day at Davis-Monthan airforce base watching A10-Warthogs do touch & go's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I would have qualified at Arizona (I raced in the CEO category) but I was 300km away from roll downs the next day at Davis-Monthan airforce base watching A10-Warthogs do touch & go's.

That sounds like something that you definitely wont regret not doing when you are on your death bed (probably after doing a VO2 session on Kickr (and not getting struck by lightning while riding in the rain)).

• Haha 1

I reckon I heard a pretty similar line to bored@works from fitness buddy many moons ago ...

Decided he probably shouldn't go on a date with Elle MacPherson because he wasn't a fan of pizza.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ruley said:

I reckon I heard a pretty similar line to bored@works from fitness buddy many moons ago ...

Decided he probably shouldn't go on a date with Elle MacPherson because he wasn't a fan of pizza.

The CEO challenge is the easiest way to get a spot $10k entry fee & your chances of getting a spot are increased significantly.  

Watching my Dads reaction as we walked around the museum & boneyard tour, means more to me than racing Kona 

34ACEBFE-9683-4FD5-B71D-67B6288432C8.jpeg

9C30EE53-434D-445F-A904-3B28DA06E04A.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruley said:

snorted my tea

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read the T&C on the CEO Spots. If you qualify for a CEO spot, you have to race Kona in the CEO class.  So that's another $12,500k USD.

So it will still cost $22,500k to go. Gee they are good at getting the $$ out of people.

I noticed one of the races only had 10 people in the category.

Two of my friends (husband & wife) race in the CEO challenge every time they race. Its an amazing experience but it's not worth the money. But for them they couldn't be stuffed lining up to register, checking in their bikes and collecting all their gear etc. So they are paying for someone else to do it.

*edited to change the kona spot to 12.5k

A little bit more reading & they have added a bonus spot to the

"PR Challenge Slot- One (1) additional IRONMAN World Championship slot will be awarded at each full-distance IRONMAN XC Series Event in 2018 to the athlete with the Most Improved Personal Record.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/ironman-xc/kona-70.3-wc-slots/ironman-world-championship-kona.aspx#ixzz5DlMySrkL"

If it's your first race, set a slow time & then race again to smash your PB & you have a spot for Kona.

& this gem:

*Note: IRONMAN reserves the right to modify the roll-down procedure for XC World Championship slots.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/ironman-xc/kona-70.3-wc-slots/ironman-world-championship-kona.aspx#ixzz5DlNdJoDE

Money talks!!!!!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

She's too old for him.

She's not too old for me!! 

"PR Challenge Slot- One (1) additional IRONMAN World Championship slot will be awarded at each full-distance IRONMAN XC Series Event in 2018 to the athlete with the Most Improved Personal Record.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/ironman-xc/kona-70.3-wc-slots/ironman-world-championship-kona.aspx#ixzz5DlMySrkL"

If it's your first race, set a slow time & then race again to smash your PB & you have a spot for Kona.

& this gem:

*Note: IRONMAN reserves the right to modify the roll-down procedure for XC World Championship slots.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/ironman-xc/kona-70.3-wc-slots/ironman-world-championship-kona.aspx#ixzz5DlNdJoDE

Money talks!!!!!

I saw myself tanking. 

Then training for one. 

Either way it's a crock 

& this gem:

Money talks!!!!!

This is so made for Greyman.  

Forster 2005. 

10 hours ago, Peter said:

This is so made for Greyman.  

Forster 2005. 

But that means he'd have to go faster than his 2005 time 😳

2 hours ago, The Customer said:

Wouldnt be hard ;) 

2 hours ago, The Customer said:

No he won't, to be nice the Ironman corp reset all PR from 2011 onwards. 

Its all about getting more money and has nothing to do with Kona. 

People like to bang on about Kona being the holy grail of the sport but it's just another race. It's like the Nike Air Jordan III I want to buy at $4500. No different to the $350 Jordans, same shoes, same comfort etc. It's just not everyone can get a pair.