Sign in to follow this  
goughy

Smart home stuff??

Anyone know much about it.  We have to get some electrical work done and the Mrs was a bit intrigued with the idea of getting some smart lights going, then maybe look at some other stuff. Looking at either smart bulbs or switches, but I'm kinda thinking switches.  Would be looking for tech that works with Google, as I know they're thinking of getting me a Google home next b'day.  Anyone got any suggestions at what's with a look at?  ATM I'd have one double switch for the lounge lights, a triple for the kitchen /dining/benchtops and then a two way for the hall.  Dimmable, for at least the lounge, would be cool.

Edited by goughy

Swings and roundabouts...

Switches
Cheaper per unit and can control multiple lights of one switch. However they can't create "scenes" or change the colours of your bulbs and they require specific lighting so might not work but depends on the work you're having done.

Bulbs
More expensive per unit and for the initial hardware usually but you can control individual bulbs which can also change colour and they work in any light fitting.

In terms of compatibility it's a bit of a mess at the moment so it's a case of choosing what you want and then browsing the interwebs to find a compatible model.

Hope that helps!

Monkie

You are right when you say it's a mess!  Feels bloody painful to research!

Wow. You have opened my eyes to a whole new world of cool tech.

"Standard" light globes that dim, change colours, play music, extend wifi. Fortunately I am 8,000 km from my nearest Bunnings so my bank account is safe for the moment.

• Like 1

Looks like we're gonna try out some Philips globes.  I thought they were all super expensive, like $90ea  but that's the colour changing ones.  My daughter wants to get herself a Google home mini (which made me happy as she's such an apple fan) and just bought herself a couple of lamps so we're getting her a couple of the hue white globes to try out.  Will see how it all goes.

Best impact is smart heating .... Wife cranks it up to "tropical" and I can moderate it from my iPhone in another country!

For £40.00, it has saved us thousands!

• Like 1

Yes, would like to go at the aircons at some time.