Oompa Loompa

Technology - how good is it for sport

How good has technology been for sport. 

Just discovered how good apple watches are, then there is zwift, then yesterday I was looking at coach video's in slow mo taken on a phone re form. where the athlete can see what the coach previously couldn't explain.  then you have websites like DC rainmaker where you can read reviews to 10 decimal points, they are so detailed.

Really is the promised age. Gee's it good when I look back on old school stop watches and see where its gone.

• Like 1

If it gets people exercising and keeps them engaged then it’s a good thing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Breathe FB, and remember you don't need to respond

I know that you probably mean well. 

But why target him? 

More than one person here is a techno phobe of sorts. 

But yes, when I read the title I immediately thought that it was a troll thread started to stir up one person and one person only. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

What's 'technology'...???  :huh:

It's the difference between the steel bike you had prior to the purple Apollo before you upgraded with the cube. Then throw the trek into the mix and your almost not a technophobe. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

I know that you probably mean well. 

But why target him? 

More than one person here is a techno phobe of sorts. 

But yes, when I read the title I immediately thought that it was a troll thread started to stir up one person and one person only. 

Cheers 

Dont think I've done a  troll post on here ever, certainly have taken the piss though and called a spade a spade which can make people uncomfortable with alternate views. 

Genuine post on how good the world has got techno wise. Not even sure who FB is but guessing fitness buddy ??   Happy to read a link on whatever im allegedly channelling.

The worlds just got way cool, that I can paddle with dolphins, track where I paddled and have footage of the dolphins, combined with hitting daily exercise minimum targets and not even having to think about how much to do, its just done for you.  

Then I watched some coaching yesterday, with slow mo apple filming from a phone, just insane re correcting technique. 

• Like 2

And with all the technology the long standing British men’s marathon record was only broken yesterday.

3 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

And with all the technology the long standing British men’s marathon record was only broken yesterday.

think as a whole people are softer which results in less drive.  think herb elliot would have won the next six olympics or something with his 1960 time.

Id hate to think how good an elliot, clarke or thomas would have been with todays technology.

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

What's 'technology'...???  :huh:

That's putting a battery into something.... and suddenly your rear light starts working.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, willie said:

It's the difference between the steel bike you had prior to the purple Apollo before you upgraded with the cube. Then throw the trek into the mix and your almost not a technophobe. 

You know way too much about me...  😆.   You are also correct!

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

That's putting a battery into something.... and suddenly your rear light starts working.

Yeah ok, I guess it's good for something...  Although, I haven't trained in the dark for years!

11 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

More than one person here is a techno phobe of sorts...

I am not...   Well.. maybe..  :shy:.

51 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

..  Although, I haven't trained in the dark for years!

Wasn't there something to do with a cow?? :wink1:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, willie said:

My 1st bike I ever bought was a purple Apollo Vitesse (back in the 90s) - $389. Sensational bike for the price. Add a pair of white clip-on tri bars and I was the ducks guts.

Image result for apollo vitesse

Thanks for the memory.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2

Example of technology that has helped

lights: dynamo, battery, big battery rechargeable, USB rechargeable

26 minutes ago, AA7 said:

this has potential on the MTB for long stages, takes the question of did i just loose some air when riding tubeless on rocky ground.

maybe a bit fragile in that application with how it sits.

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

My 1st bike I ever bought was a purple Apollo Vitesse (back in the 90s) - $389. Sensational bike for the price. Add a pair of white clip-on tri bars and I was the ducks guts.

Thanks for the memory.

FM

Shifters on the down tube, leather toe straps, plastic spoke guard inside the cluster....

Is that 6 or 7 gears, Flannie?

16 hours ago, roxii said:

If it gets people exercising and keeps them engaged then it’s a good thing. 

Agree.

Though when people feel like they can't do a session or into the sport without it, it's not so good.

Remember running to an old girlfirend's place back in the early '90s. Arrived in shorts, sox, shoes and sweat.

Her flatmate was putting on compression knicks, running-specific shirt, brand-name cap, heartrate monitor, watch, ear phones and music, stretching for 30 minutes....all to run 5km around the local streets. Didn't ever race. Wasn't a regular runner.

Felt like saying "Dude, it's only running. Just get out the door."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flanman said:

Thanks for the memory.

FM

Fishers Ghost Cycles?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

OK for tubeless, but will add extra time if having to change a tube or singles due to having to take the valve core out.

Thats why I use solid tyres. Takes extra time if I flat on pneumatics.

Transitions can be a great place to be. It's technology based and a positive for the sport. Generally speaking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the beauty of tech too, is if youdont like it, you dont have to do it... its not like smoking where you breath stuff in, you can just say no.  win win for everyone

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goodcatch said:

Fishers Ghost Cycles?

No Kev, it was the Bike Barn at Parramatta. It went with my wetsuit I rented then bought at the Nepean Tri from Fred Falzon.

FM

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

How does knowing it mid ride change anything?

I’d use this on my Fattie. On the road I can’t see any point to it. Unless you’re doing research to see the changes in pressure over an event. Otherwise it really doesn’t matter (or maybe we just don’t know it matters yet, that’s a bit of marketing they forgot)

Yeah technology has really helped - I often ask how Mark Allen and Dave Scott managed to do what they did without power meters, HRMs, strava, kickr, compression gear, normatec boots and wind tunnel testing

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AP said:

Yeah technology has really helped - I often ask how Mark Allen and Dave Scott managed to do what they did without power meters, HRMs, strava, kickr, compression gear, normatec boots and wind tunnel testing

I thought the story of Phil Maffetone getting Mark Allen to train with a HRM was  part of the lore of why to use HRMS?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

I thought the story of Phil Maffetone getting Mark Allen to train with a HRM was  part of the lore of why to use HRMS?

Don’t bring facts into a comment with AP. You’ll be labeled a flea. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

How does knowing it mid ride change anything?

Well if you lose a couple of PSI during the ride you can pull the pin and say you had a technical issue and that's why you missed your slot......

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AP said:

Drugs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, AP said:

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Drugs?

Does drafting 180km behind a vehicle count as a technological advancement?

35 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Does drafting 180km behind a vehicle count as a technological advancement?

Is that what Mark & the other bloke did.

40 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Is that what Mark & the other bloke did.

Them and plenty others. 

Was very impressed with my first local mtb race.  You get a number to put on your bike with a chip in it, and each lap is electronically recorded, results are up on the web the next day.  Out tri club still uses a handheld timer with a paper printout.

Technology...hmmm.

I work in the IT world but have no interest in IT.

I refuse to buy lights etc that are USB, as they don't stand up against the good old battery.

I bought a new bike with Di2................am about to sell it.... Going back to the levers. So much more intuitive...

Reminds me: rode the roady (22 spd ultegra Di2) up to the next town this am (40km @ 33kph - with knapsack of stuff including a track pump)

but then road my HPV home (11 speed XTR DI2)

40km @ 38 kph on the already tired legs :)

Edited by trifun
can't spel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Technology...hmmm.

Me too. 

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Technology...hmmm.

I refuse to buy lights etc that are USB, as they don't stand up against the good old battery.

I bought a new bike with Di2................am about to sell it.... Going back to the levers. So much more intuitive...

Swap IT for Mobile = same

On 25/04/2018 at 9:06 AM, AP said:

That would be alzheimer's.

On 25/04/2018 at 9:06 AM, AP said:

Although a bit of the old wind tunnel testing went into this 1995 vintage bike of Mark's, 

14+marks+bike.jpg

and last time I talked with Dave (name drop :) ) he knew all his heart rate data (even if it was in the late'80's/ early '90's).

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Turts said:

Wasn't there something to do with a cow?? :wink1:

Yes, but we won't mention that little incident :shy:.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, Flanman said:

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Paul Every said:

Shifters on the down tube, leather toe straps, plastic spoke guard inside the cluster...

Haha...  I took a very similar Apollo to the first World Championships that I did in Madeira.  Before the race I took it to the team mechanic to get the pedals tightened as I didn't take a tool kit.  The mechanic said to leave it with him and he'd give it the once over.  He then said to bring my 'race bike' in and he'd check that one over as well...  He couldn't believe that the old Apollo 'was' my race bike!!! :sadwalk:

8 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Yes, but we won't mention that little incident :shy:.

One of the greatest threads in tranny history  :twisted:

• Thanks 1