Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
oldschool69#2

My new bike purchase

Recommended Posts

My whole life ive been blessed to have had bikes given to me up until recently when I bought my first tt second hand ... 

but on Friday I consider thisto be my greatest ever bike purchase although it doesn’t have the 3 speed shifter I couldn’t resist telling stories to my kids of how I learnt on such a wonderful bike and found my freedom...😂😂

 

1C2D562F-9084-49DD-A711-ABB2175034D8.jpeg

F5489DD4-9D85-4036-9BF2-9CC5840956C7.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a cult following for them these days.

 

And yeah, I learnt to ride on one as well. Bright metallic purple, with a purple banana seat. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the kids roll their eyes when you started reminiscing?? 

My first one had a smaller front wheel, folks probably bought it from Walton’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha yes of course they did😂

but they did say they are keen to clean it up and re spray it.

Am thinking of changing front wheel too.

the eldest thought we were going to pick up a motor bike for him 😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine had a pink and white cane basket on front with raffa  roses and pink and silver streamers.  I saved for a whole year and my dad finally caved and matched me dollar for dollar.  It cost $80.00 from notaros’s bike shop.  I was the bees knees.  Sigh, happy memories.  I can still remember the feeling of joy when I looked around and found my dad hadn’t been holding me steady when I ditched the training wheels 😎🎉.

Edited by Cat Lady
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it was $850 !

cheap ride for him around the Goldie when the take the licence of him😂

although last time I saw Ap running around at port he looked like he could do with one a bit earlier 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is it? 

Its not like any Raleigh Chopper I've seen, so I'm assuming something Aussie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure definitely not Malvin star 

ill have a good look over it and see if there is any markings on it 

think it’s just a poor mans version 

the bloke that had it had it in his shed up in the roof hanging there for 35 years or so he said 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Not sure definitely not Malvin star 

ill have a good look over it and see if there is any markings on it 

think it’s just a poor mans version 

the bloke that had it had it in his shed up in the roof hanging there for 35 years or so he said 

 

Very cool :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was a Speedwell Mustang with the 3 speed shifter on the top tube and twin headlights on the front rack, generator driven of course. The kid across the road had a Malvern Star Dragster with the little Sturmey Archer thumb shifter, we both had streamers in the ends of the bars. So cool, in 1969

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You ride like a girl, so I suppose it’s suitable :lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

This is it ! (mine was pink tho)

 

1e7345612db6cd05e5d3c86edc7113f6.jpg

I'm pretty certain that one is a Malvern Star. The guard looks right, and I think I can just make out a star on the head tube.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, roxii said:

You ride like a girl, so I suppose it’s suitable :lol: 

That will come back to haunt you if he passes you on that Swift of yours:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

That will come back to haunt you if he passes you on that Swift of yours:lol:

Didn’t even get to ride it further than round the block. Now that the hip is gone it’s being moved on and I’m resigned to endurance geometry. Oh the shame. :shy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, roxii said:

Didn’t even get to ride it further than round the block. Now that the hip is gone it’s being moved on and I’m resigned to endurance geometry. Oh the shame. :shy:

You're in good company, I've got two endurance bikes. I'm twice as crap as you. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pimped mine with some CADEN wheels to make me feel better :lol1:

21B4090C-E2EC-4643-88F8-2380BAE6DF06.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gone further to the dark side, ordered this today.  Was out with a fishing buddy who is a keen cyclist on ANZAC day chasing cod on fly.  Told him I was umming & ahhing about getting a proper MTB that fits me instead of riding my wife's.  He said Bob (age 65) in the cycling club was procrastinating similar about a flash new roadie, when someone pipped up "Bob, you're nearly dead, just buy the ****ing thing".

Sounded like fair logic me :D

 

NorcoFluid.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Gone further to the dark side, ordered this today.  Was out with a fishing buddy who is a keen cyclist on ANZAC day chasing cod on fly.  Told him I was umming & ahhing about getting a proper MTB that fits me instead of riding my wife's.  He said Bob (age 65) in the cycling club was procrastinating similar about a flash new roadie, when someone pipped up "Bob, you're nearly dead, just buy the ****ing thing".

Sounded like fair logic me :D

 

NorcoFluid.jpg

 

priceless, can you send that guy round to my place, I need some upgrades..... :)  :) :) 

 

BTW: My Malvern Star was metallic orange and had the top tube mounted three-speed shifter (and the sparkly banana seat with sissy bar (to which I add a parachute pack (ex-golfing umbrella skin) for emergency stops :) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2018 at 10:51 AM, roxii said:

Did the kids roll their eyes when you started reminiscing?? 

My first one had a smaller front wheel, folks probably bought it from Walton’s. 

 

On 22/04/2018 at 5:22 PM, FatPom said:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is it? 

Its not like any Raleigh Chopper I've seen, so I'm assuming something Aussie?

Yep not a Chopper, they had the smaller front wheel.

On 22/04/2018 at 7:01 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't think it's a Malvern Star (mine was) unless it's a girl's version. 

I never saw one as a kid 

On 22/04/2018 at 11:17 PM, IronmanFoz said:

I .think it could be a Dragster!

No that is almost a Malvern Star model name and it is not that. Here is a Dragstar...

1377219957_Copy%20(2)%20of%20P1020638.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Slowman said:

No that is almost a Malvern Star model name and it is not that. Here is a Dragstar...

1377219957_Copy%20(2)%20of%20P1020638.jp

I have never seen one with derailleurs. I thought they were all 3 speed in-hub gears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×