Peter

IM 70.3 Western Sydney (False Advertising??)

They are taking the piss a bit using the Opera House and Harbour Bridge in the photo for 70.3 Penrith aren't they?

false.jpg

• Haha 2

Sort of,,, this year I think you could stay in town then get race organised transport to the 'riff. 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Sort of,,, this year I think you could stay in town then get race organised transport to the 'riff. 

Really?  That is a great option.

That's legit.

This year they're taking the bike course up the Hawkesbury Heights hill to a turn around near Wentworth Falls lake. Perfectly good city views from there.

• Haha 1

Where you'll be racing

The course is nestled at the base of the Blue Mountains and will utilise the iconic Penrith Lakes, located at the International Regatta Centre, for the swim. The bike course includes breathtaking views of the Blue Mountains. The flat, scenic run course takes in Penrith’s Nepean River along the Great River Walk, before runners return to the iconic Sydney International Regatta Centre venue to celebrate down the finish chute.

We’ve also made it easier for you to stay and play in Sydney, following previous year's successful Sydney CBD Check In, you can check-in right in central Sydney on Friday. We have so many options to make your race journey the best yet! More Sydney travel options including Bike Transfers, Saturday Transition Tours, Athlete Transfers and Race Day Athlete Transfers.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/western-sydney.aspx#ixzz5DAhNHnEN

Just found this 

Bike Transfers and Racking is $30 (inc GST + 8% Active fee) each way.

Please ensure you follow the below steps to optimise the Bike Transfer and Racking service and to avoid delays.

1. Complete the CBD Check In process

• Friday 23 November 2018 11:00am-7:00pm

2. Apply Bike Post Seat Sticker (athlete race number) to your bike

3. Rack bike (with sticker attached) on the Bike Transfer Collection Point, located below

• Pre-Race - located close to CBD Sydney Location
  • Post-Race - located close to Transition Bike Exit, SIRC

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/western-sydney/travel/event-transport.aspx#ixzz5DAhyHCEE

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Sorta makes the shuttle option useless for visitors to Sydney.

From memory last year they had a separate shuttle for bikes in advance, so you could arrive at the venue and pick your bike up on site.

I didnt use it last year, but seem to remember something along those lines.

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

Where you'll be racing

The course is nestled at the base of the Blue Mountains and will utilise the iconic Penrith Lakes, located at the International Regatta Centre, for the swim. The bike course includes breathtaking views of the Blue Mountains. The flat, scenic run course takes in Penrith’s Nepean River along the Great River Walk, before runners return to the iconic Sydney International Regatta Centre venue to celebrate down the finish chute.

We’ve also made it easier for you to stay and play in Sydney, following previous year's successful Sydney CBD Check In, you can check-in right in central Sydney on Friday. We have so many options to make your race journey the best yet! More Sydney travel options including Bike Transfers, Saturday Transition Tours, Athlete Transfers and Race Day Athlete Transfers.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/western-sydney.aspx#ixzz5DAhNHnEN

You're obviously not up to speed on the course changes, Roxii.

Take a look at the run:

RW_S02_Kedumba_elevation_chart.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The new guy said:

image.png.f09df3fdf939664a3a06ea4babc61b55.png

'Race Ironman WA - the Best in the West'

FIFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Take a look at the run:

Thank fark Im retired  :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Take a look at the run:

Obvious typo. The elevation gains are in millimeters. Not meters. Ironman really can’t get their shit together can they  

Now I realise where the false advertising come from :P

6 hours ago, The new guy said:

image.png.88f73ea25624b9e38c6315dfe41e97a3.png

'Race Ironman WA - the Best in the West'

Rivers not deep enough to swim in! LOL 

There's localised versions of everything these days

Like Monopoly - Mt Druitt Edition

MtDruittMonopoly.JPG

• Sad 1

I log in after a while away from racing and the forum for some motivation and i see ridiculous and unfair stereotypes of western sydney. I can sledge with the best but these last two are completely offensive. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tossacoin said:

I log in after a while away from racing and the forum for some motivation and i see ridiculous and unfair stereotypes of western sydney. I can sledge with the best but these last two are completely offensive. 

Well said 

24 minutes ago, The new guy said:

We have reached a final decision in regards to the 'false advertising' question!!!

From Ironman twitter - 

IRONMAN 70.3 Western Sydney features views of the Opera house, stunning beaches, the Blue Mountains, and koalas!

https://twitter.com/IRONMANtri/status/991467439211892742

FFS Ironman.  What are you doing?

Well squints would be more like it from the vantage points PE mentioned. It's just a word :lol: ...

but once you set expectations and disappoint them... they need to fire their marketing guy this is basic stuff

Theres all sorts of comments from overseas competitors adding this to the bucket list!!

Imagine their surprise when they arrive at the rowing lake....

18 minutes ago, The new guy said:

Theres all sorts of comments from overseas competitors adding this to the bucket list!!

Imagine their surprise when they arrive at the rowing lake....

And the flies start attacking. 

how disappointed with the course would you be! 

ironman really isn't doing themselves any favours lately

I did it for the 1st time in 2017. Local drive for me - 50 kms. I didn’t mind it. It’s a race for me, not a holiday. I would do it again  

If you want a bike pb, this is the place. 

FM

Perhaps, new course. Swim by Opera House, ride M2/M7/Great Western Highway to Blue Mtns, run to 3 sisters

Has anyone checked the updated course maps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

I did it for the 1st time in 2017. Local drive for me - 50 kms. I didn’t mind it. It’s a race for me, not a holiday. I would do it again  

If you want a bike pb, this is the place. 

FM

Me too flan man, I did it last year for the first time, and I would do it again. I didn't really like tr seim, and the last 10k of the run was mind numbing, but it was a 'race' as you say, and a local one for me. 

But it is a far cry from how it is being advertised..

• Like 1

Could that be considered false and misleading advertising? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roxii said:

Could that be considered false and misleading advertising? 

yes... 

Was it Wotif or a mob like them that got fined for misleading conduct by advertising a hotel that was "in the heart of the city" in a mystery deal. After people had purchased the deal they found out it was in Parramatta...... :lol: 

I think I'm gonna give it another crack this year. Need to focus hard on the diet and reducing the booze. I've done this race 3 or 4 times, each time the run has killed me. Just the heat.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Suburban Kid said:

I think I'm gonna give it another crack this year. Need to focus hard on the diet and reducing the booze. I've done this race 3 or 4 times, each time the run has killed me. Just the heat.....

I'm going to get all AP here but it's a mental run.  Those long straights can suck the life out of you so fast.  Mindset is everything in maintaining pace there. 

• Like 1