Sign in to follow this  
iFoz

Kona Legacy Slot Experience, What's Yours?

Congrats from Foz to Foz............ am extremely stoked for you. Couldn't happen to a nicer and more passionate bloke.

When Dave T, Mr Flower and I did our Legacy race in 2012. You (iFoz) were there!!!! That was the real benefit. Nothing can top that!

PS: I am thinking about heading across in 2019 to volunteer. Stay tuned on that. Oh...do they have a race date?

My Tip. is..... don't underestimate the wind on the bike. The heat isn't really a problem...its the wind that kills you. Ride long and long and longer. Get strong!

My other tip is do what IronPo recommends - refer to other threads.

• Like 8

congratulations.  Awesome. 

No advice. I only did it once in 2011 

speak to someone that has done it 59time. Maybe ask AP. 

• Like 1

If I was to give advice Go and do the half just to experience the backend of the bike course. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

:clap::clap::clap: 

No advice but WOO-HOO and congratulations. 

• Like 2

Perhaps a Matt Koorey - Kona training trip is what you need.

Rather than doing a 70.3 recon mission, you would be better off going on one of Matt's trips. I reckon you would get 50 x more out of it. Matt's credentials and results speak volumes.

Think of it as an investment in the real deal October 2019 rather than just another 70.3 race.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

PS: I am thinking about heading across in 2019 to volunteer. Stay tuned on that. 

That’d be fantastic.

Thanks guys, my query was more about legacy slot specific social functions/ gatherings rather than the race itself. 

Congratulations iFoz that is awesome.  It sounds like there is a fair wait to get a spot now.  It is great that they let you know that your in for next year.

• Like 1

Congrats have a blast, I hope the experience is everything you have aimed for. 

Looks like u won’t be rolling over & going back to sleep when AP’s alarm goes off at 3am in the morning. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Congrats & enjoy. I got my crack at it in 2016. Would go again tomorrow if I got the chance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Rather than doing a 70.3 recon mission, you would be better off going on one of Matt's trips. I reckon you would get 50 x more out of it. Matt's credentials and results speak volumes.

Think of it as an investment in the real deal October 2019 rather than just another 70.3 race.

Yep 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

He's coached by AP, he know everything about Ironman & Kona.

Foz,

i think on on the Thursday around 4/5pm you will have an invite on the lawn to a function for all legacy athletes.

Welchy and PNF are normally there as is Mike Reilly. Basically a few drinks and canapés. Nothing too special.

Also get onto slow twitch site. There is normally a slowtwitch party before the race one night.

other than that....keep your ear to the ground.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iFoz said:

All my christmasses came at once last Friday afternoon, with an email from Ironman guaranteeing my legacy slot in the 2019 race. I've now got 18 months to plan the race and holiday of my lifetime...

Yahooooo!  Go You!!! :clapping:

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

When Dave T, Mr Flower and I did our Legacy race in 2012. You (iFoz) were there!!!! That was the real benefit. Nothing can top that!

Agreed, it was Kona 2012 that got me sold on how fantastic the Legacy Slot program is... and now to see IFoz finally get there is the icing on the cake!

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

My Tip. is..... don't underestimate the wind on the bike.  The heat isn't really a problem...its the wind that kills you...

Yeah, but everyone knows that 2012 was the hottest and windiest race ever! :whistling:

That is until 2019 of course... :lol:

Nah seriously, that's fantastic news buddy, I'm really happy for you!

PS - Not 'on the slow road' anymore!

• Haha 1

And it bloody was hot and windy. 

Mark Allen was heard saying the following day.... gee they got it easy last year (2011).

• Like 1

They've said you've got a spot for next year; have you still had to enter a race next year still?

I am very very stoked for you.  Considering how much Legacy athletes have done for wtc/whoever it is now, it is simply the best thing they have done in the last umpteen years for the sport - considering there is one single race that holds so much for so many.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goughy said:

have you still had to enter a race next year still?

I’m not sure if it’s required, but no matter as I’ll be racing Port in 2019 anyway. My pattern is Taupo on even years and Port on odd years. 

• Like 2

Well done iFoz. From earlier comments it sounds like you've been there, so at least you'll know what to expect, but being there to actually race changes everything. You'll have an absolute blast. Well deserved.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 1:17 PM, IronmanFoz said:

My favourite pic of the 2012 Tranny Kona crew and chief supporter. 😄

0AF22A58-F228-4062-924A-A384040AF659.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iFoz said:

I’m not sure if it’s required, but no matter as I’ll be racing Port in 2019 anyway. My pattern is Taupo on even years and Port on odd years. 

Awesome idea 

Congrats, iFoz.

The Legacy program is a great concept and you're just the type of the athlete it was designed for.

Enjoy.

• Like 2