Jump to content
iFoz

Kona Legacy Slot Experience, What's Yours?

Recommended Posts

Congrats from Foz to Foz............ am extremely stoked for you. Couldn't happen to a nicer and more passionate bloke.

When Dave T, Mr Flower and I did our Legacy race in 2012. You (iFoz) were there!!!! That was the real benefit. Nothing can top that!

PS: I am thinking about heading across in 2019 to volunteer. Stay tuned on that. Oh...do they have a race date?

My Tip. is..... don't underestimate the wind on the bike. The heat isn't really a problem...its the wind that kills you. Ride long and long and longer. Get strong!

My other tip is do what IronPo recommends - refer to other threads.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

congratulations.  Awesome. 

No advice. I only did it once in 2011 

speak to someone that has done it 59time. Maybe ask AP. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was to give advice Go and do the half just to experience the backend of the bike course. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps a Matt Koorey - Kona training trip is what you need.

Rather than doing a 70.3 recon mission, you would be better off going on one of Matt's trips. I reckon you would get 50 x more out of it. Matt's credentials and results speak volumes.

Think of it as an investment in the real deal October 2019 rather than just another 70.3 race.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

PS: I am thinking about heading across in 2019 to volunteer. Stay tuned on that. 

That’d be fantastic.

Thanks guys, my query was more about legacy slot specific social functions/ gatherings rather than the race itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats have a blast, I hope the experience is everything you have aimed for. 

Looks like u won’t be rolling over & going back to sleep when AP’s alarm goes off at 3am in the morning. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Perhaps a Matt Koorey - Kona training trip is what you need.

Rather than doing a 70.3 recon mission, you would be better off going on one of Matt's trips. I reckon you would get 50 x more out of it. Matt's credentials and results speak volumes.

Think of it as an investment in the real deal October 2019 rather than just another 70.3 race.

Yep 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Perhaps a Matt Koorey - Kona training trip is what you need.

Rather than doing a 70.3 recon mission, you would be better off going on one of Matt's trips. I reckon you would get 50 x more out of it. Matt's credentials and results speak volumes.

Think of it as an investment in the real deal October 2019 rather than just another 70.3 race.

He's coached by AP, he know everything about Ironman & Kona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foz,

 

i think on on the Thursday around 4/5pm you will have an invite on the lawn to a function for all legacy athletes.

Welchy and PNF are normally there as is Mike Reilly. Basically a few drinks and canapés. Nothing too special.

 

Also get onto slow twitch site. There is normally a slowtwitch party before the race one night.

other than that....keep your ear to the ground.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iFoz said:

All my christmasses came at once last Friday afternoon, with an email from Ironman guaranteeing my legacy slot in the 2019 race. I've now got 18 months to plan the race and holiday of my lifetime...

Yahooooo!  Go You!!! :clapping:

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

When Dave T, Mr Flower and I did our Legacy race in 2012. You (iFoz) were there!!!! That was the real benefit. Nothing can top that!

Agreed, it was Kona 2012 that got me sold on how fantastic the Legacy Slot program is... and now to see IFoz finally get there is the icing on the cake!

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

My Tip. is..... don't underestimate the wind on the bike.  The heat isn't really a problem...its the wind that kills you...

Yeah, but everyone knows that 2012 was the hottest and windiest race ever! :whistling:

That is until 2019 of course... :lol:

 

Nah seriously, that's fantastic news buddy, I'm really happy for you!

PS - Not 'on the slow road' anymore!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it bloody was hot and windy. 

Mark Allen was heard saying the following day.... gee they got it easy last year (2011).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've said you've got a spot for next year; have you still had to enter a race next year still?

I am very very stoked for you.  Considering how much Legacy athletes have done for wtc/whoever it is now, it is simply the best thing they have done in the last umpteen years for the sport - considering there is one single race that holds so much for so many.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, goughy said:

have you still had to enter a race next year still?

I’m not sure if it’s required, but no matter as I’ll be racing Port in 2019 anyway. My pattern is Taupo on even years and Port on odd years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done iFoz. From earlier comments it sounds like you've been there, so at least you'll know what to expect, but being there to actually race changes everything. You'll have an absolute blast. Well deserved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2018 at 1:17 PM, IronmanFoz said:

When Dave T, Mr Flower and I did our Legacy race in 2012. You (iFoz) were there!!!! That was the real benefit. Nothing can top that!

My favourite pic of the 2012 Tranny Kona crew and chief supporter. 😄

 

0AF22A58-F228-4062-924A-A384040AF659.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, iFoz said:

I’m not sure if it’s required, but no matter as I’ll be racing Port in 2019 anyway. My pattern is Taupo on even years and Port on odd years. 

Awesome idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2018 at 11:09 AM, iFoz said:

All my christmasses came at once last Friday afternoon, with an email from Ironman guaranteeing my legacy slot in the 2019 race. I've now got 18 months to plan the race and holiday of my lifetime.

Did you receive your confirmation email and register?

I have just registered and paid for my 2019 Legacy spot.

 🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️  🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️  🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️  🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️  🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️ 🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️  🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️ 🏊‍♂️🚲🏃‍♂️

☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to those who got their spots!

For the benefit of those soon to apply, I applied in the recent application (Nov 2018 to Jan 2019) and have been guaranteed a spot for 2021. While it seemed a bit far away, it probably worked out for the best for me as there are quite a few commitments for this year and next year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damm it I missed out again.

 

Chatter in the local bunch ride is the LBS manager received a free entry for this year. He has done 20 x IM & already used his legacy spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was originally advised that my years woudl be 2020 and then on Friday got the email and entered yesterday.   

Kona 2019, so it only tool 2 years of waiting on the list. 

Had originally only planned on doing Geelong 70.3 as the nominal race and then a bunch of mates decided to do Port Mac, so entered that just after xmas.  Lucky i did as I only started swimming and running (if you can call it that) again at xmas and now it's not far away.

Exciting times ahead.

Stephen

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

Did you receive your confirmation email and register?

I have just registered and paid for my 2019 Legacy spot.

Yep. Registered on Monday night. Now AUD$1742 poorer 😱 Given til Friday to pay before forfeiting the spot.

My club mate submitted his first legacy application in 2018 and was advised 2021 race also. I was lucky to only have a one year wait.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Blobby said:

I was originally advised that my years woudl be 2020 and then on Friday got the email and entered yesterday.   

Kona 2019, so it only tool 2 years of waiting on the list. 

Had originally only planned on doing Geelong 70.3 as the nominal race and then a bunch of mates decided to do Port Mac, so entered that just after xmas.  Lucky i did as I only started swimming and running (if you can call it that) again at xmas and now it's not far away.

Exciting times ahead.

Stephen

Great news mate. 

OMG Strava is going to go off over winter. 😁😁

Don't worry about running. It's overrated. 😆

3 peaks should set up your bike training, and then you just need to keep it up for the next 7 months. 

Excited for all you lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats.

a wonderful trip and a lifetime of memories await.

the legacy function is far better than described above.

dave and mark plus others.

having Julie Moss very interested in our story and spending time with us rather than the vip’s was rather special.

my stupid grin standing between mike and dave.

join in or watch the undie run.

march with the rest of the aussies in the parade.

happy if you want anything else, just PM me.

if I can suggest one thing outside of race day, swim out on the course the day after you get there. Tread water somewhere out past the coffee boat.....turn back and look at the scene in front of you from the King K on your left to the Royal Kona on your right. Take in the activity on Alii Drive. It doesn’t get much better in this game.

in terms of those on here, thanks again to cranky and no knees for being there with me while we looked back and took in that scene. A great day followed by another one come race day.

well done to the OP, enjoy every moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 9:19 PM, Leon said:

 

in terms of those on here, thanks again to cranky and no knees for being there with me while we looked back and took in that scene. A great day followed by another one come race day.

Gave me goosebumps reading this. Thanks to you too.  That certainly was a magical time in my life that will never be forgotten.

 

Enjoy the buzz!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, Blobby said:

I was originally advised that my years woudl be 2020 and then on Friday got the email and entered yesterday.   

Kona 2019, so it only tool 2 years of waiting on the list. 

Had originally only planned on doing Geelong 70.3 as the nominal race and then a bunch of mates decided to do Port Mac, so entered that just after xmas.  Lucky i did as I only started swimming and running (if you can call it that) again at xmas and now it's not far away.

Exciting times ahead.

Stephen

Did they give you the option to still take your 2020 spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 2:39 PM, Bored@work said:

Damm it I missed out again.

 

Chatter in the local bunch ride is the LBS manager received a free entry for this year. He has done 20 x IM & already used his legacy spot.

More info on this please. How?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Did they give you the option to still take your 2020 spot?

I was originally advised 2019. In 2018 in June I was offered a 2018 spot. I contacted IM and was able to decline the 2018 spot and keep the 2019 spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I was originally advised 2019. In 2018 in June I was offered a 2018 spot. I contacted IM and was able to decline the 2018 spot and keep the 2019 spot. 

That's really good of them. With work & the $$ to get to Kona some people may struggle with a short notice period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

That's really good of them. With work & the $$ to get to Kona some people may struggle with a short notice period. 

In my dealings with the Legacy team I have found them really helpful and flexible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 2:39 PM, Bored@work said:

Chatter in the local bunch ride is the LBS manager received a free entry for this year. He has done 20 x IM & already used his legacy spot.

 

13 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

More info on this please. How?

Because 25% of the field don't qualify.  They give out heaps.  If you really want a start, there are many ways about it without paying more than the entry fee.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 1:39 PM, Bored@work said:

Damm it I missed out again.

 

Chatter in the local bunch ride is the LBS manager received a free entry for this year. He has done 20 x IM & already used his legacy spot.

 

13 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

More info on this please. How?

 

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

 

Because 25% of the field don't qualify.  They give out heaps.  If you really want a start, there are many ways about it without paying more than the entry fee.

 

Probably from the rep of one of the sponsors. Gives them out as an incentive to keep selling their product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Probably from the rep of one of the sponsors. Gives them out as an incentive to keep selling their product.

That's one way. The best scam I've seen is the medical free entry.  Volunteer in Kona and next year do the race.

But yeah, having a mate work for WTC can get you a spot most years. I have a friend who works for Amazon in Australia (setting up the warehouse here) and he is doing Kona this year.  Rolls around in 11:30 usually at Busso. But work for Active, Hoka, Roka or Ventum and you'd have access to a spot. Donate enough to the Ironman Foundation and you'll go.  Enter the CEO division and you can qualify with a much slower time than your age group.  Each RD of Ironman usually gets a few slots to give out to "Friends". I had another mate that was trying to bring on a major sponsor for Cairns and he was guaranteed 2 Kona spots for each year they were the sponsor. So you can assume someone in Cairns that has something to do with the Airport or someone in Busso with sunsmart gets to go and take a mate each year.

I could go on ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Did they give you the option to still take your 2020 spot?

I emailed them straight away, and only got the response on Tuesday and yes they have allowed me to delay to the original 2020 timeslot.  In the meantime you had to have accepted the slot by last Friday, so given I was worried about missing out, just accepted it.  In essence it has been a long time getting to this point and there are no guarantees I will still be able to go around next year, so I'm going to stick with the entry and bring on 2019 Kona.  Given I'm terrible when it comes to heat, this will be a new challenge to get my head around and prepare the body as best coming off a Melb winter.

Stephen

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

 

 

Probably from the rep of one of the sponsors. Gives them out as an incentive to keep selling their product.

Makes a joke of it being called a World Championship race.

Imagine if Adidas got spots for the Olympics to give to their friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Question is how did Eddie the Eagle and Eric the Eel get in a few years back 

There was a loop hole. Thats been closed now.  Shame really. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

 

Imagine if Adidas got spots for the Olympics to give to their friends.

That's what the pharmacist is for.

And how did Qatar get the World Cup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peter said:

Because 25% of the field don't qualify.  They give out heaps.  If you really want a start, there are many ways about it without paying more than the entry fee.

That is crap - you may know a few people who have wangled a spot but seriously work out how many people 25% of the field is - If it's so easy to get in and you know all the right people why don't you go back and do it properly, you can't be happy with your first go - while you're their get a spot for your mate who's retired several times and doesn't want to go anyway - I'd love to race you both on the World Championship course - it'll be fun for all of us 🙄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AP said:

That is crap - you may know a few people who have wangled a spot but seriously work out how many people 25% of the field is - If it's so easy to get in and you know all the right people why don't you go back and do it properly, you can't be happy with your first go - while you're their get a spot for your mate who's retired several times and doesn't want to go anyway - I'd love to race you both on the World Championship course - it'll be fun for all of us 🙄 

Iol so funny. I could register for the legacy spot any time I want. I also could have got a spot via the CEO challenge. 

Do they still do Military spots? 

We could race each other but you would finish looking fresher so the result wouldn’t count any way.

i do ageee that Peter’s claim of 25% is crap. 

Not sure numbers but let’s say 3000 ppl race. That’s 750ppl.

legacy spots? 200ish?

CEO spots 100ish?

Famous ppl slots 100ish?

Sponsor spots 200ish ?

the numbers don’t seem to stack up.

Having said that Willie was confident he could of got a sponsors spot last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

i do ageee that Peter’s claim of 25% is crap. 

Not sure numbers but let’s say 3000 ppl race. That’s 750ppl.

legacy spots? 200ish?

CEO spots 100ish?

Famous ppl slots 100ish?

Sponsor spots 200ish ?

the numbers don’t seem to stack up.

Having said that Willie was confident he could of got a sponsors spot last year.

How many lottery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AP there is more to life than Kona. 

Kona defines your life not mine. 

Its just a triathlon in Hawaii. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...