Peter

Is Ironman Busso Doomed?

So yesterday there were 2 shark attacks close to Margaret river.  WSL have canceled the surfing for today even though the waves are awesome by reports from those on twitter.

Sharks in the area that can be driven away are okay with me, but they didnt even try this at busso this year.  They just pulled everyone out.

If you are bike runner, do busso is my tip.

If you want to do an actual Ironman, I'd be giving Busso the big miss.

Peter vs Zed round IV!

I wouldn't surf in Gracetown anymore, the place is spooky and there are tons of large sharks there. Plenty of guys get knocked off boards and it doesn't make the news, lots of lucky surfers....

But Busselton is sort of in a bay and the big sharks generally are swimming north/south or east/west to South Africa so tend to bypass Busselton. You still get sharks in Busso, but rarely is it large Great Whites. That said, sharks sightings on race day are going to get more and more frequent. There's more sharks and now they have helicopters and drones up in the sky looking for them...

I think what will happen is head of water safety (Surf life-saving) and RDs will adopt a more practical plan B as seen during the Rotto swim. It wasn't perfect and attracted a bit of criticism, but the swim wasn't cancelled and most competitors managed to finish.

I think the fact that the swim course has changed shows how important they recognise the issue is and how they understand how detrimental further swim cancellations will be to IMWA and the 70.3. 

There are lots of things that can be done:

- chase shark out to sea

- ascertain tyre and size of shark and make a call

- postpone swim until shark has fvcked off

- use tranquilliser darts

- bring the swim even closer to shore

- can the helicopter and drones, we know there are sharks, if you go looking for them, you will find them. 90% of people are willing to take the risk. None of the OWS have helicopters and we've had zero shark related swim cancellations.

- extend the current shark net and have swim within sharknet 

- shoot the fvcker

They panicked during IMWA 2017 and didn't know what to do. It seems their approach is black and white. Shark spotted = swim cancellation. They will be forced to change their approach, if they don't then yeah the race is doomed.

Edited by zed

1 minute ago, zed said:

Peter vs Zed round IV!

There are lots of things that can be done:

- chase shark out to sea

- ascertain tyre and size of shark and make a call

- postpone swim until shark has fvcked off

- use tranquilliser darts

- bring the swim even closer to shore

- can the helicopter and drones, we know there are sharks, if you go looking for them, you will find them. 90% of people are willing to take the risk. None of the OWS have helicopters and we've had zero shark related swim cancellations.

- extend the current shark net and have swim within sharknet 

- shoot the fvcker

But they dont seem to do anything

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

But they dont seem to do anything

May Busso 70.3 was the first swim cancellation and it was the last swimmers in the final wave so no biggie at pulling them all in. IMWA in December was a total f*ck up IMO, but they copped a lot of flak and there were a lot of unhappy people. I'd be pretty surprised if they did the same thing again. If they did it would be the death knell of that race. No reason why they can't do what the Rotto RD did. He showed some balls, 4m Great White swam under swimmers, like a few metres away and he made the call to continue the race, just pull out the swimmers in the vicinity. Whereas Busso was a small bronze whaler 200m away from swimmers.

They will never cancel the hardest race in the world. People want a challenge and will keep coming back to this race year after year. Now with a harder swim it's going to be an exciting race this year.

Watching Jason Shortis & Tim Berkel smash each other in 2010 was a great little Ironwar.

7 minutes ago, zed said:

He showed some balls, 4m Great White swam under swimmers, like a few metres away and he made the call to continue the race, just pull out the swimmers in the vicinity.

They didn't pull anybody out for at least 20 minutes, so likely the shark (which 1 person, who by the way had kept swimming and was not pulled out, said was a great white and there was no official determination of the type) had moved well past the area that saw swimmers pulled out and told to go home. Starting to get on the right track, but still not the correct decision.

Would you be happy doing Busso, and a person who said he saw a GW got to finish the race, and you were told to go home, your day is over? 

Gracetown and Busso are close, but very different. Water at Gracetown is deep and black and scary, whereas Busso is shallow and crystal clear 2km out. I have NFI how/why surfers still go out there. 

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They didn't pull anybody out for at least 20 minutes, so likely the shark (which 1 person, who by the way had kept swimming and was not pulled out, said was a great white and there was no official determination of the type) had moved well past the area that saw swimmers pulled out and told to go home. Starting to get on the right track, but still not the correct decision.

Would you be happy doing Busso, and a person who said he saw a GW got to finish the race, and you were told to go home, your day is over? 

Yeah exactly - not the right decision, but heading towards a semblance of a rational, pragmatic plan. 

I'm no expert on sharks, but the photo of it's huge dorsal fin looked very much like a GW. Irrespectively, it was a big mother, so either a 4m GW/Bull/Tiger, all as dangerous as each other. 

28 minutes ago, zed said:

May Busso 70.3 was the first swim cancellation and it was the last swimmers in the final wave so no biggie at pulling them all in. IMWA in December was a total f*ck up IMO, but they copped a lot of flak and there were a lot of unhappy people. I'd be pretty surprised if they did the same thing again. If they did it would be the death knell of that race. No reason why they can't do what the Rotto RD did. He showed some balls, 4m Great White swam under swimmers, like a few metres away and he made the call to continue the race, just pull out the swimmers in the vicinity. Whereas Busso was a small bronze whaler 200m away from swimmers.

Wasnt the "in the vicinity" a 1km exclusion zone? 

that is all fine and well in a 30km point to point swim but a 1km circle at Busso would be the whole course wouldnt it...

A couple of the pro surfers on world tour have said they no longer feel comfortable at Margaret River.

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

A couple of the pro surfers on world tour have said they no longer feel comfortable at Margaret River.

Main break is spooky. The water is deep and black. I was out there last year crapping myself the entire time.

Is Ironman Busso Doomed?

Probably, but lets just get this year done before its cancelled, my race fees are paid and accomodation booked.......just have to work out the annual leave bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

They will never cancel the hardest race in the world. People want a challenge and will keep coming back to this race year after year. Now with a harder swim it's going to be an exciting race this year.

Watching Jason Shortis & Tim Berkel smash each other in 2010 was a great little Ironwar.

Do you ever not sarcasm?? LOL 

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

They are talking about the accommodation the promoters put them in 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zed said:

Main break is spooky. The water is deep and black. I was out there last year crapping myself the entire time.

Hence the later algal bloom.... 

17 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Do you ever not sarcasm?? LOL 

yes, when I get up at 3am to go training & my new CeramicSpeed jockey wheel is squeaking.

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

yes, when I get up at 3am to go training & my new CeramicSpeed jockey wheel is squeaking.

Seriously.... 

I can't tell if you are joking.... LOL 

You have a fancy dog.... And fancy dogs are usually paired with fancy bike parts.... LOL #blessed #freespeed #timetrialtuesday #fuelbeltsoutforAP

:lol:

4 hours ago, zed said:

Unlikely when they partner with a shark detecting buoy system to boost the search capability even further.  Besides which the genie is out of the bottle already, if they stopped using drones and helicopters and something happened they would be considered negligent and without insurance.

If the swim is cancelled at the half we have had this season's state duathlon, sprint, olympic and long-course titles all decided by in a duathlon, not to mention the Ironman.  The truth is that if you want to race triathlon you're better off spending less coin and doing the less rigorously run club events and All Bar None series where unless the beach is closed you're going to get in regardless.

3 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Unlikely when they partner with a shark detecting buoy system to boost the search capability even further.  Besides which the genie is out of the bottle already, if they stopped using drones and helicopters and something happened they would be considered negligent and without insurance.

If the swim is cancelled at the half we have had this season's state duathlon, sprint, olympic and long-course titles all decided by in a duathlon, not to mention the Ironman.  The truth is that if you want to race triathlon you're better off spending less coin and doing the less rigorously run club events and All Bar None series where unless the beach is closed you're going to get in regardless.

Yup the guy in my AG who is likely going to win WA triathlete of the year for 45-49 can't swim for shit, but has won 3 "triathlons" that all had swim cancellations.

25 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Seriously.... 

I can't tell if you are joking.... LOL 

You have a fancy dog.... And fancy dogs are usually paired with fancy bike parts.... LOL #blessed #freespeed #timetrialtuesday #fuelbeltsoutforAP

:lol:

The dog is at home waiting for dinner. My wife just sent this picture

A2A42CA9-CFF1-49D5-87CF-6B3A189D3B5F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

shoot the fvcker

I like this approach - same with the crocs up north - they've bred out of control :whip:

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

He looks very focused!

28 minutes ago, zed said:

He looks very focused!

The dog is watching Kona videos. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

What a beautiful pooch. :clapping:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Peter said:

The dog is watching Kona videos. 

Just finished zwift, probably starving after a ball bustin session 🐕

• Like 1

The WSL just cancelled the remainder of the Margies PRO due to the recent shark activity at lefties and cobblestones.

8 minutes ago, KieranR said:

The WSL just cancelled the remainder of the Margies PRO due to the recent shark activity at lefties and cobblestones.

I wonder how that went down with the surfers?

I don't think I agree with culling Great Whites, but if it gets to the point where no-one wants to swim in the ocean, do we do something? 

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is this the death of ocean sports in WA?

Not sure if you're serious or not, but pretty much every water sport in WA has been affected. We used to get 30+ windsurfers and kitesurfers at seal island which was 2kms out to sea, now no-one goes there, for obvious reasons. A lot of surfers shy away from places like Gracetown, nippers are low in numbers, kids don't want to swim in the ocean when they no their was a fatal attack a few months earlier in the same exact spot. 

I'm not pro culling, but something needs to be done. It's not just affecting our way of life, but I'd imagine there's a massive imbalance in the marine ecosystem. Seal island used to be a seal colony to over 20 seals for decades, now they're all gone.. wouldn't it have been better to cull a few GWs and save 20 seals?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zed said:

I wonder how that went down with the surfers?

I don't think I agree with culling Great Whites, but if it gets to the point where no-one wants to swim in the ocean, do we do something? 

the Brazilians are happy, they have been whinging on social media that they dont feel safe out there....soft cocks..take up a different sport.

1 hour ago, zed said:

So we have a vulnerable species with a major a major contributing factor to its endangerment being control/culling programs and the answer could be more culling?

No one wants to swim? Well they don't have to. It's only swimming.

Do we also cull Mountain Pygmy Possums to allow more people to ski. Those little suckers are endangered too.

The Recovery Plan for GWS is in place to prevent the decline of this species.

1 hour ago, zed said:

I'm not pro culling, but something needs to be done. It's not just affecting our way of life, but I'd imagine there's a massive imbalance in the marine ecosystem. Seal island used to be a seal colony to over 20 seals for decades, now they're all gone.. wouldn't it have been better to cull a few GWs and save 20 seals?

Yes, there is a massive imbalance in the marine ecosystem but it's not caused by an overabundance of GWS.

If you're looking for a decline in a seal colony it's very unlikely to be the result of a declining predator population that they've evolved with for millions of years.

The big ecosystem change is a decline in fish stocks. And which predator do you think has caused that?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bored@work said:

This species kills more Australians than all shark species combined.

If one is seen, particularly in the vicinity of a triathlon, it should be culled immediately.

• Like 1

Every thread on IM WA described this as not needed and everyone was soft. So please remember what the majority were on here saying and get on over to the Margaret river and have a swim as it is not dangerous, there are lots of sharks in the sea.

26 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Every thread on IM WA described this as not needed and everyone was soft. So please remember what the majority were on here saying and get on over to the Margaret river and have a swim as it is not dangerous, there are lots of sharks in the sea.

NP. As long as there are another 1000 people jumping in at the same time, with powerboats and other craft all around us. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zed said:

Not sure if you're serious or not, but pretty much every water sport in WA has been affected. We used to get 30+ windsurfers and kitesurfers at seal island which was 2kms out to sea, now no-one goes there, for obvious reasons. A lot of surfers shy away from places like Gracetown, nippers are low in numbers, kids don't want to swim in the ocean when they no their was a fatal attack a few months earlier in the same exact spot. 

Lake Jindabyne Nippers is becoming quite strong these days. No decline in numbers.

4 hours ago, KieranR said:

Wow. I think the wa government has major issues. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Wow. I think the wa government has major issues. 

45 minutes ago, Triatx said:

IMWA contracts in place for 2018 and 2019......after that who knows.

My comment was more from a tourism point of view.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

My comment was more from a tourism point of view.

Yeah it's not doing much for tourism. I'd imagine more sharknets.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Yeah it's not doing much for tourism. I'd imagine more sharknets.

It always makes good footage here when they have to go out to cut free the migrating Humpbacks. Maybe that'll bring in the tourists.

I'm not a fan of sharks, but I understand that the ocean is their environment. If we take the emotion out of the for and against discussion on what to do about sharks and IMWA, then a logical solution will be found. The southwest of WA has some ripping locations that may be suitable for relocating the race to. 

How about we put our collective efforts to focussing on where and how IMWA can remain an event run in December in WA. 

• Thanks 1

Was thinking something similar yesterday. Theres gotta be a lake or river somewhere you'd think 

Edit. Clearly im not from WA

9 hours ago, Greyman said:

I'm not a fan of sharks, but I understand that the ocean is their environment. If we take the emotion out of the for and against discussion on what to do about sharks and IMWA, then a logical solution will be found. The southwest of WA has some ripping locations that may be suitable for relocating the race to. 

How about we put our collective efforts to focussing on where and how IMWA can remain an event run in December in WA. 

Lake Leschenaultia? That would be a hilly bike ride and a trail run? 

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Lake Leschenaultia? That would be a hilly bike ride and a trail run? 

Back in the 80's Lake Leschenaultia was the season opener. @#$% the water was cold.

13 hours ago, Greyman said:

Dunsborough, 10mins down the run has a perfect spot for the swim, a 2.2km swim parallel to the beach that is protected at one end by rocks and the other end by a sandbank. 

I don't think the Dunsborough locals would be keen to have Dunsborough in grid lock, they have enough of that during the summer school holidays. 😀 Let see if the xAdventure swims go ahead this weekend. I recon there is more chance of them being canned due to the weather than due to sharks.

Edited by Lesmack
  • Like 1

The funny part is the old Forster swim course was about 1 mtr deep and you'd swim thru weed and it was full of sharks.  

Then again, Ironman was tougher back then