Peter

Is Ironman Busso Doomed?

31 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Good luck with your races etc. I'm officially retired. 

So am I, but that's no reason to leave this place.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Good luck with your races etc. I'm officially retired. 

Take it from someone who has had it forced upon him, its bloody overrated. It really is doing my head in.  (Seriously) 

Do it what you can while you can, there may not be a "later" 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Triatx said:

Next Weekend there will be no Shark Issues.

Word is the TriWA committee have hired a few fishing boats for next Wednesday and plan to catch and kill a whale and dump it at City Beach for the Sharks to go there feeding for a few days.

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

Word is the TriWA committee have hired a few fishing boats for next Wednesday and plan to catch and kill a whale and dump it at City Beach for the Sharks to go there feeding for a few days.

Listen to you being all in the know with WA places and stuff.... 

Proud of you Peter.... LOL 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So am I, but that's no reason to leave this place.

No one said anything about leaving here! I am a world class keyboard expert. 😂😂

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Take it from someone who has had it forced upon him, its bloody overrated. It really is doing my head in.  (Seriously) 

I hear you. 

And trust me I will. 

As much for as long as I can. 😎👍👍

3 hours ago, beginnergirl said:

One 2.5m shark at Smiths Beach and 3 x 2.5m sharks off Prevelly yesterday..

22 shark sitings in 10 days... 

BAC76A87-7BC3-4E32-B86C-2C17AD751C54.jpeg

image.jpg

Wait, How come there has been no mention of William being the best man before and likely bucks night events?

7 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Wait, How come there has been no mention of William being the best man before and likely bucks night events?

Imagine that bucks do!? 

I thought mine was awesome when I was taped to a gum tree with duct tape and "drenched" regularly with the tap from the kegs. Kegs arrived in the afternoon.... I can't remember it getting dark.... 

Woke up still taped to the gum tree.... 

Bet they can't top that?! LOL 

30 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Listen to you being all in the know with WA places and stuff.... 

Proud of you Peter.... LOL 

Haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

When i get food poisoning i think the same. 

I just want to hold down a glass of lemonade without it going straight through me. 

Thats why I’m fat. I eat and drink all the time incase i might miss out later. 

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

When i get food poisoning i think the same. 

I just want to hold down a glass of lemonade without it going straight through me. 

Thats why I’m fat. I eat and drink all the time incase i might miss out later. 

But seriously.... You're not "fat" 

You may feel heavy or over your race weight but you aren't fat. 

Not having a go at you but it is annoying to read how people are "fat" and "unfit".... It's taken me years to realise what that means on the internet and sites like this. 

Fat and unfit compared to frodo.... LOL 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Not as stupid as it sounds.  Fisherman chummed the water a few years ago to attract two large Great Whites who were getting too close to the swimmers during the Rotto swim. 

28 minutes ago, pieman said:

They are going to ban any more drive through's in the Busso CBD, but existing ones can stay. Pointless - there are already drive throughs for Macca, KFC, HJ, multiple bottle shops and coffee. Too late. 

Reducing congestion and encouraging people to walk is a great idea. I am not sure that the ban will achieve anything.

Do sharks consider the Ironman swim to be a fast food swim through restaurant? 🦈 🦈🦈 🦈

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Triatx said:

The RD doesn't make the decision to cancel, shorten,or whatever the swim.

He is part of the group who discuss the issue, if there is one, and the final decision is made by the contracted water safety people which is Surf Life Saving.

No RD will ever go against there recommendation as if it went to shit and ended up in court he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Him and the odd unfortunate competitor.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Do sharks consider the Ironman swim to be a fast food swim through restaurant? 🦈 🦈🦈 🦈

On a serious note, it does illustrate just how disinterested sharks generally are in humans as a food source.

Predators aren't stupid. They know where to find they're preferred food. If they were genuinely interested in humans sharks would be queuing up at popular swimming beaches, surf breaks, dive sites, etc and grabbing easy meals.

17 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Not having a go at you but it is annoying to read how people are "fat" and "unfit".... It's taken me years to realise what that means on the internet and sites like this. 

Fat and unfit compared to frodo.... LOL 

I think that is the same with any peer group you align yourself with. When amongst like minded people the bar for “normal” gets reset. 

For many years it seemed my only social interaction was with other triathletes and mostly all doing IRONMAN year after year. 

You lose sight of what is normal to the general population. Until you tell the guys at work what you did on the weekend.

you consider yourself unfit if you struggle to nail the 10k brick run off the back of a solid 150k ride. 

If you are more than 2kgs above ideal race weight you are “fat”  and if you didn’t get up at 4am at least 5 das this week you are “lazy” 

it might be “normal” for some but it’s not “normal” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:

I think that is the same with any peer group you align yourself with. When amongst like minded people the bar for “normal” gets reset. 

I consider myself fat, as do most weight guides. I'm probably 15kg over my race weight 25 years ago, but 10kg over what I'd really like to be now. I hang around OW swimmers now, and other than 1 or 2 of them, I'm 10kg under what any of them would be. I've been told by a very successful coach that I'd need to put a bit of weight on if I wanted to get serious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

On a serious note, it does illustrate just how disinterested sharks generally are in humans as a food source.

Predators aren't stupid. They know where to find they're preferred food. If they were genuinely interested in humans sharks would be queuing up at popular swimming beaches, surf breaks, dive sites, etc and grabbing easy meals.

I saw a really interesting doco with Paul de Gelder a few years ago, th navy diver who got attacks din Sydney harbour.

They did a lot of tests on great White jaw dimensions on shark bites in humans, and they concluded that most attacks are from juveniles that are trying to figure out what you are, rather than any shark actually looking to eat you as a good source. 

4 hours ago, The new guy said:

I saw a really interesting doco with Paul de Gelder a few years ago, th navy diver who got attacks din Sydney harbour.

They did a lot of tests on great White jaw dimensions on shark bites in humans, and they concluded that most attacks are from juveniles that are trying to figure out what you are, rather than any shark actually looking to eat you as a good source. 

The majority of fatal shark attacks in WA have been from adult Great Whites, 4m plus hence the reason  a lot of the victims were bitten in half. The shark that killed my colleague, Doreen Colyer, was reported to be 6m. 

5 hours ago, The new guy said:

Couldn't they put juvenile sharks through an accredited course to teach them?? Geez it's not that hard really 

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2018 at 5:01 AM, roxii said:

Absolutely. As someone who never thought they'd ever able to do any element of SBR again, if you get the opportunity to keep going, then just keep going. Doesn't have to be triathlon, just embrace being able to do 'something' and forget about race times and concentrate on 'good times' :)

• Like 2

Apparently this bull shark was about 2m (though it doesn't look like that to me) and had jumped into the netted swimming enclosure in the Broadwater on the Gold Coast yesterday.

You know. The Broadwater where the World Championships are going to be held later this year. Duathlon anybody?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Apparently this bull shark was about 2m (though it doesn't look like that to me) and had jumped into the netted swimming enclosure in the Broadwater on the Gold Coast yesterday.

You know. The Broadwater where the World Championships are going to be held later this year. Duathlon anybody?

Thats at least 5 metres long.

41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

All good, all the way over on South Straddie.

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Thats at least 5 metres long.

And I'm pretty sure it's a Great White too.