Jump to content
RunBrettRun

Boston Marathon

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, willie said:

I'd just go with a long sleeved top to be honest, I used to run in weather like this often in the UK and found in a jacket I was just as wet as without and wasnt overly comfortable because they dont breathe very well. 

One of the Nike Therma tops it's just about perfect for that type of thing. Fit it as closely to your body as possible for racing (I'm a large but would wear a medium) with a pair of light weight gloves (maybe one of those dopey looking headband/ear cover things as well). Anything more would be too hot after about 20mins of running. I find that if I keep my torso, hands and ears warm I'm good to go in basically any temperature... 

This is me In Edinburgh, had started snowing and went from -5 to -8 on that run up the mountain (Arthurs seat for those at home).

image.png.947bb9cd881466278441d3bee4172cac.png

 

I don't have a long sleeved top.  I have a 2xu compression top but thats all unfortunately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I find it amazing Tim don is racing it. 

836EA91D-51CF-4008-9FF0-DEEB427C2A9F.png

Looks like he's lost a fair bit of weight :huh:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, willie said:

I'd just go with a long sleeved top to be honest, I used to run in weather like this often in the UK and found in a jacket I was just as wet as without and wasnt overly comfortable because they dont breathe very well. 

One of the Nike Therma tops it's just about perfect for that type of thing. Fit it as closely to your body as possible for racing (I'm a large but would wear a medium) with a pair of light weight gloves (maybe one of those dopey looking headband/ear cover things as well). Anything more would be too hot after about 20mins of running. I find that if I keep my torso, hands and ears warm I'm good to go in basically any temperature... 

This is me In Edinburgh, had started snowing and went from -5 to -8 on that run up the mountain (Arthurs seat for those at home).

image.png.947bb9cd881466278441d3bee4172cac.png

 

I did a Duathlon around Arthurs Seat.  They had hay bales as crash barriers...  They needed them!

Willie's nailed it with the running gear suggestions & good luck RBR and Mrs Flower!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

I did a Duathlon around Arthurs Seat.  They had hay bales as crash barriers...  They needed them!

Willie's nailed it with the running gear suggestions & good luck RBR and Mrs Flower!

A duathlon? What race was that. I’d go all the way back there for something like that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, willie said:

A duathlon? What race was that. I’d go all the way back there for something like that 

World Duathlon Champs 2010.  Tri Travel promoted it as a 'double header' with the Triathlon World Champs being held the following weekend in Budapest.  I rode the $300 Cube in both events.

We didn't end up travelling with Tri Travel, but I actually got to do four World Championship events in the space of 3 weeks.  World Duathlon Champs in Edinburgh, Triathlon & Aquathon World Champs in Budapest, and the World Bog Snorkelling Champs in Wales...  It was a great 3 weeks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure I can get a lot of photos today from the course. It is pouring rain out there and blowing a gale. It is also freezing. Here is a photo of us just before Mrs F headed for the start line. She took off her plastic bag for the photo.

IMG_20180416_090904.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

I am not sure I can get a lot of photos today from the course. It is pouring rain out there and blowing a gale. It is also freezing. Here is a photo of us just before Mrs F headed for the start line. She took off her plastic bag for the photo.

IMG_20180416_090904.jpg

Hope she went well!

That was brutal.  I felt good till about 20k then my quads were smashed.  I battled through but the last 10k was not pretty.

 

Got a train ride tomorrow from Boston to NYC so I'll post a race report up.  

 

But in a nutshell.  It was very cold and very wet.  Wouldn't have mattered what i wore..

1523902088928.JPEG

Edited by RunBrettRun
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder I missed you. You changed your outfit on me. Man those conditions were brutal. I am exhausted and cold from just watching. Mrs F got home in 3:37. She was very happy with that. She is now ready for some hot chocolate followed by lots of alcohol.

Well done on your effort today. You should be very proud of yourself and I hope you enjoyed it in a perverse way.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i made a wardrobe change at 2am this morning when i couldn't sleep.  Very glad  i did.  Finished in 3.04.  Not close to what i was after but happy to put out a solid race in those conditions.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yeah i made a wardrobe change at 2am this morning when i couldn't sleep.  Very glad  i did.  Finished in 3.04.  Not close to what i was after but happy to put out a solid race in those conditions.

Great effort Brett.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow great results Brett and Mrs Flower those conditions look simply horrendous.

Id take either of those numbers on a good day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Hope she went well!

That was brutal.  I felt good till about 20k then my quads were smashed.  I battled through but the last 10k was not pretty.

 

Got a train ride tomorrow from Boston to NYC so I'll post a race report up.  

 

But in a nutshell.  It was very cold and very wet.  Wouldn't have mattered what i wore..

1523902088928.JPEG

Absolutely massive effort. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Edited by skel
They just showed footage on ABC.......looked REALLY cold and wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

I am not sure I can get a lot of photos today from the course. It is pouring rain out there and blowing a gale. It is also freezing. Here is a photo of us just before Mrs F headed for the start line. She took off her plastic bag for the photo.

IMG_20180416_090904.jpg

Also a massive effort.....well done Mrs F 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you both should be pretty impressed!  I just saw the news and that was absolutely crap!  The fact anyone got to the finish line is great.  Cold, and rain like that........ guts efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I saw footage of the winner (what I could make out of him through the rain), and his outfit wasn't that dissimilar in style to what you modelled for us! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to race report and well done both of you, but what's with the guy running next to you RBR?.  singlet and plastic bag on his head ?:huh:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3:04 and 3:37 & not happy. Holy shit! I would still be doing cart wheels around the hotel if I ran a 3:59. Congrats on what was a brutal race

and one of the most iconic races in the world. 

I would love to race it. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

what's with the guy running next to you RBR?.  singlet and plastic bag on his head ?:huh:

Apparently he went on some Web Forum and asked it's members what he should wear in the race! :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Apparently he went on some Web Forum and asked it's members what he should wear in the race! :lol:

I just spat my coffee out laughing...............  :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats both of you!!! Really good times too despite the conditions. It was reported to be one of the slowest pro marathon times in Boston history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×