Go Easy

Regrets - Do you have any?

After recently becoming more aware of my own mortality, I've started thinking about what else it is that I want to achieve in life.  What have I already done, or not done, and what could I have done better.

I've already done a lot in my life, but there's still so much more that I want to do.  So so much to do, and so little time.  None of us live forever, so what is it that at the end of your days you'll be able to think 'gee I'm glad I did that'...  What is it that will leave you and others thinking 'now that was a life well lived'!

How much time have you got???? I ain't done shit.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I struggle to see the point in 'bucket lists' and similar, because at the end of days, I don't think it'll make any difference to me what I did or didn't do/say/know/whatever.

• Confused 1

regrets

Ive often wondered if I had of used my law degree, but it bored me no end getting it in the end and I couldn't take the pay hit to become a solicitor back then. 

I flew from NYC to London and my wife couldnt get an extra week of work, I would have loved to have stopped in Iceland on the way to london.  Dont want to go out of my way for iceland though but I did regret not breaking that flight.

wants

Sandakan death march and pay my respects. 50 next year, thinking maybe........

http://wildspiritadventures.com/all-treks/sandakan-death-march-2/

And I always wanted to see Lenin lying in State, I've seen Mao (all the way back in 1988) and wanted the quinella. So might get to Moscow one day.

I've never been to Anfield either, I've seen Liverpool play a few times but for whatever reason, I've never done that at Anfield. Growing up in Australia when I did and craig johnson trail blazing, there is simply no other team I could follow.  That will be done by Christmas though.

Drive, Id like to drive from Nth America (either San Fran, Seattle or Vancouver) to Anchorage as well. 

Grinch also put a remote paddle up on here once, that might be cool too and sits in the back of mind.

The world is so big, not sure I can limit myself to a wishlist but regrets, no not really.

Would love to be able to speak to my mum and dad again but that isn't possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goughy said:

How much time have you got????

Haha, hopefully 30 or 40 years, but you never really know what's just around the corner.  It was a recent skin cancer removal got me thinking.  Hopefully it's nothing major but I'm still waiting on some results.  I'd imagine I'll probably continue to feel a bit uneasy until I get the all clear.

Plus, I've lost a few youngish friends recently, and realise that the same thing can happen to any of us.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stikman said:

I've had a few, then again too few to mention.

'And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full

I've travelled each and every highway

and more, much more than this

I did it my way.

Regrets I've had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption'

Edited by Go Easy

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

'And now the end is near...

I think that was a sex-pistols song... and some other guy did a cover version too.

• Haha 1

One of my biggest regrets is stopping Tri's in 1990. I was still improving at the time. Who knows? I never will now.

I wish I'd traveled more when I was younger, and with my young family. One's left now and I can't get around like I used to, so that chance is gone.

• Thanks 1

Plenty. 

It’s pretty sobering when you hit 50 and look around and see everything you’ve worked for over your whole life has added up to exactly zero. I’m talking materially here. I have my health, a good woman, a job that I don’t hate and a couple of kids and grandkids that I talk to now and then. 

Still, it’s hard not to regret a lot of the choices that I’ve made to get where I am now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

One of my biggest regrets is stopping Tri's in 1990. I was still improving at the time. Who knows?

Yep, I can relate to that.  I had the chance to get more serious about the sport when I was younger and never took it.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wish I'd traveled more when I was younger, and with my young family. One's left now and I can't get around like I used to, so that chance is gone.

Can also relate to this...  In fact it's my biggest regret.  Am still planning on doing more with them now they're adults but really wish I'd done more when they were younger.  We never had the money to go anywhere flash, but even doing more camping and cheaper holidays would have built a few more memories.  I guess we were still much better off than many other families.

1 hour ago, downesy68 said:

I have my health, a good woman, a job that I don’t hate and a couple of kids and grandkids that I talk to now and then. 

Still, it’s hard not to regret a lot of the choices that I’ve made to get where I am now. 

That's better than most.  I also regret some of the choices that I've made in the past, but I try not to dwell on them, just learn from it. 

• Like 1

Yep, a bit of travel would have been cool. Apart from the cruise my wife's father took the whole family on last year, I haven't spent a even 24hrs at one time outside of Queensland.  Haven't been outside of SEQ pretty much since I was 10.   Now Rob's sick it ain't gonna happen. Always wanted to take her back to Holland to see her extended family again; she lived there for a year after high school.  Them's the breaks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

That's better than most.  I also regret some of the choices that I've made in the past, but I try not to dwell on them, just learn from it. 

Exactly. You completely readjust what’s important to you and learn to be thankful for what you do have, rather than yearn for what you don’t. 

I suppose my biggest regret is underestimating the impact my marriage breakdown has had on the relationship with my son. 

• Like 1

Its a question Ive never asked myself. I believe that every day we are faced with choices, ranging in importance. I make each decision based on the information available to me at the time. I make it, live with it, and dont regret it. I trust my own judgement. Some choices work out well for me. Others dont. But I honestly never look back. Ive had 2 failed marriages and given the same set of circumstances, Id still make the same decision to marry them. At the time, it was a good decision. Didnt work out for a number of reasons. Too bad. The 2nd one financially ruined me ... so what, I move forward. Reinvent, refocus, never look back.

Regret does nothing. Looking back on poor decisions just makes you sad and bitter. Life is not fair. Its equally unfair to everyone and we shouldnt expect everything to turn out perfectly. Make your choices and move forward, always forward. Learn from mistakes but dont dwell on them. Thats how I live my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Derny Driver said:

Regret does nothing. Looking back on poor decisions just makes you sad and bitter. Life is not fair. Its equally unfair to everyone and we shouldnt expect everything to turn out perfectly. Make your choices and move forward, always forward. Learn from mistakes but dont dwell on them. Thats how I live my life.

Exactly this. There are things that I would probably do differently if I had the option to do them again but I don't so that's that.

My life is brilliant now and that is the result of a long list of decisions and a whole lot of luck (both good and bad). Could it have been better if I had made different decisions? Maybe... but then it could just as easily have been worse...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, XCOM! said:

I think that was a sex-pistols song... and some other guy did a cover version too.

The cover was probably a better version. :)

I like The Saints version of Lipstick On Your Collar....

I agree with most of what you're saying Derny & Monkie, except the bit about regret necessarily making people sad & bitter.  I've got a few regrets but wouldn't consider myself sad & bitter.  In fact I am extremely thankful for the life I've had.

Regret is not just feeling sad over the things you did do (and I've got very few of those as even bad experiences are all great experiences), but it can also be over the things that you didn't do... and it's that regret that motivates me to make the most of the time I've got left.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

In the time I've got left I intend to continue to cast off the bowline and set sail on new adventures... I just don't really know which way to sail.  Hence the question that I posed at the start of this thread, at the end of your life what will have been important to you.

• Like 1

I guess to answer my own question the answer would be 'to live a life that's full'!

I'm just not so sure what to fill the rest of it up with...  time with family, travel & charity work are all obvious options, but I still feel like something's missing.