Sign in to follow this  
Flanman

Hawaii 70.3 - 2019

Early days but starting to look at the logistics/costs.

I am thinking of celebrating my 60th birthday by doing the Hawaii 70.3 in 2019. I will probably spend a few days on the Big Isle then back to Honolulu  for a couple of days, finally taking a cruise with the missus.

I like to hear from anyone who has done the race. I will hire a bike for the race. I don't know whether to stay at the Fairmont or not. Any other info/thoughts would be great.

Thanks   

FM

Pete: we did speak briefly but I might give you another call in a week or so.

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2

Yep - did it last year for my 40th. You’ll love it.

Probably the hardest race I’ve done but probably the most enjoyable. Swim is like an aquarium, ride is tough and run is super hot. 

I wrote a race report if you want to read it - it’s in the race report section.  

I hired a bike and stayed at Fairmont. Both were absolutely worth it.

Message me if you want any more info.

• Like 3

It’s well worth the trip, I have been to that race 4 times and been to The big island 8 times,  going again this year, myself and my old man take a group over for this race annually now (38 last year 36 this year) 

any questions send me a message or if it’s easier I’ll give you my number and i can let you know where to start 

• Like 3

Yep, GF and I did it last year. Flew Jetstar to HNL then to Kona with Island Air. Picked up a car from the airport. We stayed in Kona the entire time at an awesome air bnb on white sands beach and did 3 or 4 days of sightseeing before race day. Drove out to Fairmont on race day, parked there and got the shuttle to Hapuna State Park (GF got the shuttle back to Fairmont for T2).

Swim - absolutely amazing!

Bike - actually really enjoyed it, wasnt too windy, got rain up the top of Hawi, lots of rolling hills

Run - lots of running on grass and a few undulating small hills. One part called Hells Kitchen which is a long out and back stretch with no cover.

We then flew back to HNL for a few nights and more sightseeing.

Id definitely do it again. I took my own bike but if you can hire a nice bike it may be easier 

Feel free to ask any q's

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Will be looking at it over the coming weeks to see if I can do. Wombattri/clintred, I will be away for a few weeks after Port but will contact you guys after that.

Thanks

FM

22 hours ago, Flanman said:

Thanks guys.

Will be looking at it over the coming weeks to see if I can do. Wombattri/clintred, I will be away for a few weeks after Port but will contact you guys after that.

Thanks

FM

No worries - I’ll be at Port if you want to chat then. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 9:13 AM, Flanman said:

Thanks guys.

Thanks

FM

I might make a trip to go round with you.  I love this race.

Might try and get the others to come too. 

26 minutes ago, Peter said:

I might make a trip to go round with you.  I love this race.

Might try and get the others to come too. 

Don't bother asking me. I'm going to retire after Maryland.

21 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I entered the Legacy Lottery for you.  So you'll still have to do Kona.  

Then you'll need to start getting up at 4am and ride in the rain.  You'll need to see a kinesiologist weekly and get a fake hummer with ironman related number places.

You've already got the hashtags covered but need some work on meme's.

The more the merrier.

You never know, if there's enough, Roxii might sponsor a Transitions race suit. Then again, if Pete and Bored@ turn up and run amok, then maybe not..........

Like I said, very early days. I haven't even broached the subject with the handbrake. I am just lining a few things up. I might even stay on the Big Isle for a bit longer and explore then back to Honas for the night before the cruise. Decisions...Decisions.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

7 hours ago, Peter said:

I entered the Legacy Lottery for you.  So you'll still have to do Kona.  

Then you'll need to start getting up at 4am and ride in the rain.  You'll need to see a kinesiologist weekly and get a fake hummer with ironman related number places.

You've already got the hashtags covered but need some work on meme's.

And then when I was looking back through some old stuff I saw this:

On 8/26/2015 at 9:36 PM, Bored@work said:

Kona is the holy grail of Ironman racing. Nothing else matters. I would sell my child for a chance to race in Kona.

• Haha 1

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, clintred said:

It’s well worth the trip, I have been to that race 4 times and been to the big island 8 times...

Does that mean that you've now done Kona Clintred?  How does the 70.3 event compare to the full Ironman at Kona?

I'd imagine the courses would be similar, but what about the atmosphere?

51 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Does that mean that you've now done Kona Clintred?  How does the 70.3 event compare to the full Ironman at Kona?

Yes of course he’s done Kona. 

70.3 is the new Ironman.

My favourite memory of this race is entering drunk & accidently entering my last name as my first name also. T-shirts printed wih NortonNorton on the back. The commentators voice as he called my name crossing the line was the funny as

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Go Easy said:

That cuts deep mate, missed Kona slots twice in the last two years by 3 or less minutes! Haven’t done Kona but have been over twice when the old man has raced, the 70.3 is essentially the far half of the Ironman ride (Hawi and back) and the run is around the fairmont orchid golf course. 

Atmosphere wise its a little different, the run is rather lonely through the whole 21 whereas October there is love from spectators for the first half. 

The 70.3 is a very slow course, the ride is never flat, not steep hills but long graduals so you need to get used to pushing big gears if you want to ave a decent power figure. The run is always crazy humid, this was something I never figured out until last year, apparently the golf ecourse is hosed down profusely for the week before and the grass is left longer to prevent damage from all the foot traffic, come midday it’s not much fun in the middle of a par 5 fairway with the  hawaiian sun on your back.

the pre race atmosphere is similar to the Ironman on a lesser scale, it still attracts the peacocks of the USA tri market who choose to wear nothing but tri suits for the duration of their trip however come race day they are happy with a 7hour finish time as long as the can get a shirt, pay for their photos and brag to their “buddies” how they “stomped the cycles” etc etc etc.

If you choose to go you won’t be disappointed, both last year and this year I’ll be doing the race off port ironman build and it’s certainly one of the 70.3 races that the strength work really comes in handy, it’s a strength not a speed race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, clintred said:

That cuts deep mate, missed Kona slots twice in the last two years by 3 or less minutes!

I knew you had been close and really keen to go 3 or 4 years ago, but couldn't remember if you'd eventually got a spot... :oops:

I think I recall giving you some advice back then that when you're in a fairly competitive age group, and are close but not quite there, sometimes you just need to roll the dice, take a chance and just go for it...  That's always risky of course, but sometimes that's the difference between making it or not.

But seriously, 3 minutes...  that's just unlucky, you are definitely good enough to get there!

PS - That's great info on the 70.3 race you've given us above.  Thanks  :thumbsup:.

• Like 1

missing by 3 minutes would suggest wrong race selection. (not having a shot here btw)

I know a guy that has missed by 1-3 spots about 7 times now.  But he only goes and does Port Mac.  One year he missed by under 4 seconds.

But he is a weapon on the run and a tiny guy.  He just needs to pick a hilly race like the old Korea etc... and he would have got to Kona easy.  Anyway he went a few years ago on the Legacy spot. But still wants to qualify

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

missing by 3 minutes would suggest wrong race selection. (not having a shot here btw)

I know a guy that has missed by 1-3 spots about 7 times now.  But he only goes and does Port Mac.  One year he missed by under 4 seconds.

But he is a weapon on the run and a tiny guy.  He just needs to pick a hilly race like the old Korea etc... and he would have got to Kona easy.  Anyway he went a few years ago on the Legacy spot. But still wants to qualify

Tell him to go to Busso where he won't have to swim. :)

20 hours ago, clintred said:

Atmosphere wise its a little different, the run is rather lonely through the whole 21 whereas October there is love from spectators for the first half. 

The 70.3 is a very slow course, the ride is never flat, not steep hills but long graduals so you need to get used to pushing big gears if you want to ave a decent power figure. The run is always crazy humid, this was something I never figured out until last year, apparently the golf ecourse is hosed down profusely for the week before and the grass is left longer to prevent damage from all the foot traffic, come midday it’s not much fun in the middle of a par 5 fairway with the  hawaiian sun on your back.

the pre race atmosphere is similar to the Ironman on a lesser scale, it still attracts the peacocks of the USA tri market who choose to wear nothing but tri suits for the duration of their trip however come race day they are happy with a 7hour finish time as long as the can get a shirt, pay for their photos and brag to their “buddies” how they “stomped the cycles” etc etc etc.

If you choose to go you won’t be disappointed, both last year and this year I’ll be doing the race off port ironman build and it’s certainly one of the 70.3 races that the strength work really comes in handy, it’s a strength not a speed race.

This describes the race perfectly. The ride is a killer (was for me anyway) - the constant grind up to Hawi really saps the energy, and then the run is super hot with lots of short, sharp hills.

But its awesome and its the most enjoyable race I’ve done thus far. The yanks put on a good event, but as clintred says there are lots of peacocks.

I think the best bit was the free beer and party at the finish line, over looking the Pacific Ocean - that was gold!

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Tell him to go to Busso where he won't have to swim. :)

I don;t think he likes flying.  

4 hours ago, Peter said:

You are pretty much on the money mate, it’s been a combo of misfires at the right races and getting the hard qualifying races right! Keep throwing darts at the board, the execution gets better and one day it will happen 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clintred said:

You are pretty much on the money mate, it’s been a combo of misfires at the right races and getting the hard qualifying races right! Keep throwing darts at the board, the execution gets better and one day it will happen 

Matty from here once told me that the top guys basically go some years and not others.  These are the guys that qualify with ease. 

This year isn’t one of the years they are going. 

• Like 1