Jump to content
Peter

Drugs in triathlon 1 in 7. Really?

Recommended Posts

Clearly I am clueless. I’ve never taken anything illegal for a race etc.. 

but 

Quote

As participation numbers in multisport events grow, so do the number of age-group athletes who break the rules. According to a 2013 study published in the journal PLOS One, as many as 1 in 7 Ironman athletes admit to using an illicit substance to gain a competitive advantage over their peers.

Quote

In recent years, triathlon’s governing bodies have made a concerted effort to eliminate the incidence of doping in both professional and age-group fields through increased education, testing and punishment.

“We know that the win-at-all-costs mentality affects all levels of sport,” says Annie Skinner of the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). “It is our goal to ensure a level playing field for athletes at all levels of competition, and many age-level athletes have expressed their desire to have a testing program in place to protect their rights.”

Though many of the anti-doping rules are in place to maintain the integrity of the sport, they’re also a way to keep athletes safe, says Skinner: “In addition to being a serious violation of the rules of sport, the use of these drugs or methods can be very dangerous.”

Take prednisone, for example. This powerful anti-inflammatory is often prescribed to athletes experiencing the “taper flu,” or sinus infections and bronchitis in the weeks leading up to a major race due to a weakened immune system. Though prednisone does a great job of tamping down a cough, medical research has shown it also inhibits the body’s ability to regulate hydration, blood pressure, protein use, blood sugar and muscle breakdown during exercise. Taking prednisone during a race, especially a long-distance race, could lead to serious—even life-threatening—medical problems.

The same is true for testosterone supplementation, which doubles the risk of heart attack in men, and Sudafed, which can cause cardiac arrhythmias.


Read more at http://www.triathlete.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta be fake news, the very first line is incorrect. 

Quote

As participation numbers in multisport events grow,

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't think it's as high as 1 in 7. Taking drugs has all but been normalised these days. 10 years ago if someone was caught there was outrage. Now you would be lucky if only half a dozen on here are pissed off. 

A reflection of society perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would the numbers be for gym junkies or crossfitters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American article?

I reckon it is rife over there.. maybe not "performance enhancing" for the sake of that but all their testosterone clinics etc

 

it's a bigger issue than gun control

Edited by pieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

American article?

I reckon it is rife over there.. maybe not "performance enhancing" for the sake of that but all their testosterone clinics etc

 

it's a bigger issue than gun control

Too much testosterone, and lots of guns. 

Fresh I Cant See My forehead Meme Can T See the Problem

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dopped up by having a KitKat to help pass the time waiting for my wave start the other weekend (one of those dark chocolate KitKats - extra caffeine and flavonoids in the dark ones.....)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon 1 in 7 is bullshit. Close to 300 competitors at a big race doping? If there are that many looking to gain an advantage by cheating, you would have a lot more Julie Miller and Mark Robson's out there. As it stands they are very much in the minority. There are lots of ways of cheating in a race without having to resort to doping which costs money and fvcks up your body. If I was going to cheat that would be the last option, not the first. Having a fully functioning penis is quite important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sensationalist headline - if you read the article, 'doping' includes caffeine tablets, (legal in and out of competition), anti-depressants (generally legal), "stimulants" (which they haven't defined), as well as other substances that are legal out of competition.
The authors of the article have formed their own classification of 'doping' which is completely different from the WADA code. 

I'm very confident there is significant use of WADA prohibited substances but I don't think it's anywhere near 1 in 7.

 

Full article here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Pavel_Dietz/publication/303484417_A_Comparison_of_the_Cheater_Detection_and_the_Unrelated_Question_Models_A_Randomized_Response_Survey_on_Physical_and_Cognitive_Doping_in_Recreational_Triathletes/links/5744a6e208ae298602f7591f/A-Comparison-of-the-Cheater-Detection-and-the-Unrelated-Question-Models-A-Randomized-Response-Survey-on-Physical-and-Cognitive-Doping-in-Recreational-Triathletes.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Sensationalist headline - if you read the article, 'doping' includes caffeine tablets, (legal in and out of competition), anti-depressants (generally legal), "stimulants" (which they haven't defined), as well as other substances that are legal out of competition.
The authors of the article have formed their own classification of 'doping' which is completely different from the WADA code. 

I'm very confident there is significant use of WADA prohibited substances but I don't think it's anywhere near 1 in 7.

 

Yeah my wife just did her first triathlon, 2 weeks after having an iron infusion. And they are apparently banned, so if tested she would have been busted for "doping". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah my wife just did her first triathlon, 2 weeks after having an iron infusion. And they are apparently banned, so if tested she would have been busted for "doping". 

pretty sure Iron infusion is legal unless it's high volume (>50ml/6h) and even in that case, you can often get a TUE.

 

Edited by Aidan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

pretty sure Iron infusion is legal unless it's high volume (>50ml/6h) and even in that case, you can often get a TUE.

 

yeah not sure. Her iron levels were 0, so I guess it was pretty high? But yeah I'd imagine she could have got a TUE. Can you get a TUE after the fact? Get busted, then get the TUE?

Edited by zed
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zed said:

yeah not sure. Her iron levels were 0, so I guess it was pretty high? But yeah I'd imagine she could have got a TUE. Can you get a TUE after the fact? Get busted, then get the TUE?

Ask Henry Schoeman..or Lance

Edited by pieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

Yeah my wife just did her first triathlon, 2 weeks after having an iron infusion. And they are apparently banned, so if tested she would have been busted for "doping". 

 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

pretty sure Iron infusion is legal unless it's high volume (>50ml/6h) and even in that case, you can often get a TUE.

 

Emma carney used to get them all the time when she was smashing the itu.  But all was okay back then. 

Id love to know the tue that Mitch Anderson has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.asada.gov.au/therapeutic-use-exemption

yes, common sense is applied in Australia. In the US, they are a bit dim https://www.usada.org/substances/tue/policy/. So your old weekend warrior who might have to take an asthma preventer, iron infusion or any of the things a Doctor might prescribe, has to get lots of documents and get a TUE in advance.

This of course gets lots of pointless cases for Americans on ST to get outraged about, which makes them happy though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zed said:

yeah not sure. Her iron levels were 0, so I guess it was pretty high? But yeah I'd imagine she could have got a TUE. Can you get a TUE after the fact? Get busted, then get the TUE?

0 ?  Mrs Zed wouldve felt crap, sounds like shes on the mend though ☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened to the ABC podcast - "Background Briefing" from the past week....

OMG! - some of these drugs (designed to combat muscle wasting during chemo) were withdrawn from research trials BY THE MANUFACTURER due to carcinogenic results! but are being imported into Aust by supplements makers and just labeled as "not for human consumption, research use only" - and one guy was turning over $15k a day of the little blighters ( @ $200 a month for "recommended dosage")

If you don't have time to catch up on these (I listen to them =on my long runs), "Do yourself a favor" and run BOTH of these google searches:

"SARMS results" (scary that these people choose to believe their own (filtered)  "internet research")

"SARMS banned" (see what WADA/TGA/FDA etc have to say)

Yes it happens, there were six athletes banned on OZ for SARMS in 2016 for them and one was a triathlete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2018 at 6:30 PM, Surfer said:

0 ?  Mrs Zed wouldve felt crap, sounds like shes on the mend though

ha ha yeah she did. Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, trifun said:

Just listened to the ABC podcast - "Background Briefing" from the past week....

OMG! - some of these drugs (designed to combat muscle wasting during chemo) were withdrawn from research trials BY THE MANUFACTURER due to carcinogenic results! but are being imported into Aust by supplements makers and just labeled as "not for human consumption, research use only" - and one guy was turning over $15k a day of the little blighters ( @ $200 a month for "recommended dosage")

If you don't have time to catch up on these (I listen to them =on my long runs), "Do yourself a favor" and run BOTH of these google searches:

"SARMS results" (scary that these people choose to believe their own (filtered)  "internet research")

"SARMS banned" (see what WADA/TGA/FDA etc have to say)

Yes it happens, there were six athletes banned on OZ for SARMS in 2016 for them and one was a triathlete. 

I listened to that - people taking SARMS & the 'dealers' are nuts !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also listened to that ABC report, although on the AM radio - is that old fashioned? I was working on my bike in the backyard :)

Intrigued I googled (on the computer!) SARM, which was mentioned in the report but I'd never heard of,  as I missed whatever they said by way of introduction about it. And DMHA, DMAA etc. 

About 5 years ago as part of my first IM-MEL (RIP) I wanted a particular brand and flavour of gels, being cautious. Went into one of the supplement shops in the CBD.  20 litre barrels of protein powder, or something, with muscle builder photos all over it. Iso this, booster that, etc.  Shelves full of stuff, same kind of marketing.

 I thought the traditional pharmacy  now with half the shelf space taken up by unproven alternative medicine was bad enough.

I think there's a runaway problem.

But I don't believe 1 in 7 triathletes are into it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

But I don't believe 1 in 7 triathletes are into it :)

I think 1 in 7 is an exaggeration - they are probably talking about taking a red bull or V before a race - or a couple of No-Doze during a long event (all of which are legal) - that's the only way you're going to get a 1 in 7 concentration 🙄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 in 7 seems a lot. 1 in 20 would be my guess. If you consider the top ten finishers in each age group as your test population, there's roughly 10 to 12 age group divisions at most races it's hard to see how you could get 1 in 7 based on that. That would mean you have a considered percentage of each age group taking something illegal and still not able to finish in the top ten of their age group. Just seems unlikely to me that the percentage would be high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The new guy said:

Is no-doze actually legal?  I have used during events before, but had never even thought that it could be illegal??

Yes. Caffeine is totally legal and has been proven to have performance enhancing effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, monkie said:

Yes. Caffeine is totally legal and has been proven to have performance enhancing effects.

nearly - sugar is totally legal, for caffeine there are limits (Justa ask Alex Watson)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×