Cat Lady

ITU Worlds - the new thread

So, BogFrog won the Trannies F 40-44 showdown?

Cranky run split faster than AA7, but not fast enough to make up ground on the Frog of Bog. 🐸

I've told AA7 she needs to up her non-training game to really be at the front. #Blessed #Fitspo

Didn't realise there was a a showdown happening... and the results would've been a little different without a certain person doing a sprint 3 days prior, and another person doing a foot 5 months prior...

My Splits:

00:20:24 01:04:12 00:42:58 02:12:50

for 31st in M50 (beaten by 0.3 of a second by the Yank who recovered from our finish straight sprint to pip me at the line)

so worse than '09 (17th) and '91 (12th).

Edited by trifun
add cat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Didn't realise there was a a showdown happening... 

Too far in front to notice the strugglers? ;)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tyno said:

So, BogFrog won the Trannies F 40-44 showdown?

Cranky run split faster than AA7, but not fast enough to make up ground on the Frog of Bog. 🐸

I've told AA7 she needs to up her non-training game to really be at the front. #Blessed #Fitspo

OK, that was undoubtedly my worst race ever and I'm so disappointed. Been training well and had a great race on Thursday. But for some reason, Sunday was a disaster. I felt awful from the gun. As soon as I started, my quads felt like jelly, even in the swim. My chest felt tight and I just couldnt get my breath, I had to do a fair amount of backstroke and breastroke and even stopped to float on my back a couple of times to try to get it together. Sightings the buoys at one stage, the buildings up ahead were all blurry. I was very happy to get out of the water, slow jog to my bike, still really tight in the chest. On the bike and just had nothing in the legs, had two little spews which was pretty gross. Tried to push through, but just wasn't happening. Plodded the run, didnt even try to push it, just wanted the race to end. Even took time to usher the baby plovers off the run course.

I know this is just triathlon, but when you put so much into it and you're feeling good, it really hurts to get a poor results.

End of sob story. 

Edited by AA7
  • Sad 3

58 minutes ago, AA7 said:

OK, that was undoubtedly my worst race ever and I'm so disappointed. Been training well and had a great race on Thursday. But for some reason, Sunday was a disaster. I felt awful from the gun. As soon as I started, my quads felt like jelly, even in the swim. My chest felt tight and I just couldnt get my breath, I had to do a fair amount of backstroke and breastroke and even stopped to float on my back a couple of times to try to get it together. Sightings the buoys at one stage, the buildings up ahead were all blurry. I was very happy to get out of the water, slow jog to my bike, still really tight in the chest. On the bike and just had nothing in the legs, had two little spews which was pretty gross. Tried to push through, but just wasn't happening. Plodded the run, didnt even try to push it, just wanted the race to end. Even took time to usher the baby plovers off the run course.

I know this is just triathlon, but when you put so much into it and you're feeling good, it really hurts to get a poor results.

End of sob story. 

Maybe you have a low level fever or illness that's making you feel that way? 

3 hours ago, A2K said:

Maybe you have a low level fever or illness that's making you feel that way? 

Yeh possibly. I did feel a bit feverish on Sunday arvo and was sneezing quite a bit.  

• Sad 1

My splits,

21.46  1.03.27  42.35    2.12.15

17th  55-59   5th Aussie home :)

not sure why they made us old farts go 2nd last wave  ???  The wind was howling by then 😳

• Like 2

Just now, plugga said:

not sure why they made us old farts go 2nd last wave  ???  The wind was howling by then 😳

Cause heaps of "old farts" keep bleating on how hard the sport used to be, so they figured you could put up with it 😁

• Haha 3

AA7 at least you had a good race on Thurs. But yeah, shit to not be able to perform to your abilities on the day. I heard that Kym was also feeling unwell after having a great race on the Thurs - wonder if you both picked up the same thing? (If it had just been fatigue, the spewing wouldn't have happened! Well, not until the end of the run at least lol)

So after whinging about a lack of race reports, I guess I should contribute... I had a good race overall.  Got to the startline and was in the water a little late and had to barge a little towards the front. Ended up in the second row which was appropriate. The gun went off while I was completly unprepared - so much so the Garmin didn't take and my swim measured about 5 meters. The wettie was feeling a little restrictive around the shoulders but didnt cause to much trouble. I missed the pack (OMG! there was a lead pack - there never is when I race!) and ended up swimming solo. Got out of the water in 22:28 which is a little disappointing but not surprising considering the lack of quality swim training (lack of motivation and shoulder issues)

Had a shit transition. Wettie came off ok, but lack of practice and my frozen water bottle (swapped it with the spare (thank F I brought it)) had me all flustered. Out to the bike course... Found the bike skills of some of the athletes were pretty poor. Particularly 2 British ladies that I was playing tag with. They kept overtaking me just before the technical bits (not that technical at all) and I'd have to overtake them on the technical bits. About 3/4 way through the first lap, Cranky overtook me. I was expecting that, but not quite so soon!  I was feeling the legs when trying to push the straights, but wasn't getting the 90% FTP I wanted. For the rest of the bike leg I was reading arses as they overtook and waiting for AA7 to pass which didn't happen. I finished the bike leg thinking she must've gotten out of the water before me. Finished the bike in 1:06:46 which is OK for me, but my watt output was low (85%)

Into transition and fumbled around again being stupid and clumsy. Out onto the run and the legs felt OK. The first 5km were pretty cruisey, but I knew not to push. At the first turn around I saw Cranky and she wasn't too far ahead. I saw AA7 for the first time at a turn around the 2km mark and briefly wondered if she was on lap 2. I expected her to catch me. I was slowly gaining on Cranky. I passed her at the halfway mark as we went through the stadium and tried to get her to come with me - I was really only going a couple of seconds per km quicker. At around the 7km mark I saw AA7 again and realised a little late (doh) that she wasn't having a great day. Things started getting a little hard around then. The sun had come back out at the 5km mark, and the lack of fuel (I dropped my gel 33km into the bike) were making their presence (of lack thereof) felt. Ran into the "stadium" and manged to pick up a bit of speed for a faster finish. I probably could have picked it up a lot sooner tbh, like 5km sooner. Think I was a bit soft. Anyway, run was 41:43 for a total of 2:16:13. Happy with that and still have lots of room from improvement whenever I get back to it. I'm having an off season now. Time to hit the gym and regain some strength and fix these shoulders. Might do a sprint in Feb, but won't be back racing til late 2019...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BogFrog said:

AA7 at least you had a good race on Thurs. But yeah, shit to not be able to perform to your abilities on the day. I heard that Kym was also feeling unwell after having a great race on the Thurs - wonder if you both picked up the same thing?

I hope this isn't inappropriate to post but I heard that Kym is pregnant. Not sure if the same can be said for AA7 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was hoping for top 10 in both races but being realistic, I have to be happy with my results (18th and 12th). My training had been going really well until I sprained my ankle 3 weeks out, which put a bit of a dent in things. 

I missed the front bunch by 20 seconds in the sprint race and busted a gut to catch another solo rider just as we got to the hill - where she proceeded to drop me again lol. After that I just couldn't get a group to work with. I ended up on my own until the last 5km when a decent group caught me. I figured there was no point killing myself in the run by that stage and saved a bit for Sunday. It was farken hot! 

I felt much better about Sunday's race even though I still didn't make top 10. I was 12th out of the water and passed a few on the bike, but the lack of run fitness showed. I still pushed all the way and don't think there's anything I could have done differently. 

It's not every day you get to race former Olympians - I had Michelle Dillon and Sam Bradley (Warriner) in my age group so that's a pretty good reality check 😜 😂 

It was great watching the elites race as well, there seemed to be always something happening. Now back at work with a hangover 😬

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, A2K said:

I hope this isn't inappropriate to post but I heard that Kym is pregnant. Not sure if the same can be said for AA7 😊

She is indeed. What an effort to win the sprint though.  I can't use the same excuse.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 2

So who's up for the Lausanne/Nice double?  Only a week and a shortish drive apart....

17 minutes ago, AA7 said:

She is indeed. What an effort to win the sprint though.  I can't use the same excuse.

Sure? Might explain the mini spews 😜

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, -H- said:

So who's up for the Lausanne/Nice double?  Only a week and a shortish drive apart....

Tempted, if I win lotto.

The extra slots for women for Nice are appealing too.

8 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Sure? Might explain the mini spews 😜

😁

Edited by AA7
  • Haha 1

Anyone else felt sick after racing Thursday? I think I’m starting to see a pattern. 

My wife, her friend and husband who also did the race were all sick 2-3 days after the race, all with stomach pains and some vomiting. In fact my wife still is not 100%. 

2 to 3 days after Thursday, eh aa7????

44 minutes ago, Rog said:

Anyone else felt sick after racing Thursday? I think I’m starting to see a pattern. 

My wife, her friend and husband who also did the race were all sick 2-3 days after the race, all with stomach pains and some vomiting. In fact my wife still is not 100%. 

The swim warm up area for the sprint was right near where a drain runs out and the water there was pretty gross. It was a fairly shallow section and the bottom was all stirred up. I don't like making excuses and I know some people that backed up well on Sunday. But I guess, it could've affected some and not others. 

I'm sure in over 100 triathlons I've raced over 11 years or so, I've raced with a mild cold or something a few times, nothing has ever made me feel like I did on Sunday though.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 1

Possibly something a bit feral in one of the aid stations Thursday? Not everyone would have used each one, so would only affect a % of the competitors.

• Like 1

On another matter, far too many people claiming a 10km PB when it was clearly short. I didn't measure it, but I was absolutely plodding and still ran 46min. I think Cranky had it about 500-600m short.

5 minutes ago, AA7 said:

On another matter, far too many people claiming a 10km PB when it was clearly short. I didn't measure it, but I was absolutely plodding and still ran 46min. I think Cranky had it about 500-600m short.

Yep - bike was 39.2 and run was 9.5.  I also had a PB :w00t2:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AA7 said:

It's sunny coast all over again ;)

On the sickness thing,,, how clean was the water, looks like a lot of photos show people with dirty brown faces, was that from the water?? 

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

On the sickness thing,,, how clean was the water, looks like a lot of photos show people with dirty brown faces, was that from the water?? 

Yep, definitely more so from the sprint. 

40 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yeah and 38.8km ride also... how can they get it so wrong..

So today I've unpacked and assembled two bikes, removed race numbers from bikes, helmet & wetsuit, swum, done my rehab exercises, washed all my kit, flushed my car and house keys down the toilet (that part was an accident) and had a couple of skin cancers removed. I need another holiday! But wine will have to do for now 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

It may have been mentioned already but can someone inform me why Alistair Brownlee was DSQ'ed?

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Missed a swim can. 

Is he from WA? 

somebody had to say it....

• Like 3

On 17/09/2018 at 9:34 PM, BogFrog said:

Didn't realise there was a a showdown happening... and the results would've been a little different without a certain person doing a sprint 3 days prior, and another person doing a foot 5 months prior...

I didn't realise BF was Gwen until we meet on a training run and then didn't realise she was LL until I read her rave report. I also didn't hear what you said when you passed me on the first lap, nor did I realise it was you!

Oh dear. See, this triathlon thing is killing my brain cells!

• Confused 1

I'm really happy with my race. I had no idea what to expect. Qualified top 16 aussie so just wanted to beat that. Ended up 8th Aussie and 13th overall. Happy with my run split 4:32/km. Not looking at overall time because it's not an accurate way to compare. I've never run (nearly) 10km at that pace! Happy to say I did not look at my pace  on my watch once on the run!! Just pushed. 

Bike was fun. I enjoyed the technical bits. That's where I seemed to make up places. 

Swim was uneventful other than nearly missing the start and cutting my food on a rock or something on the pontoon. Quite sore still but comes good after a while in the shoes. 

Had a great time and heaps of support from friends and family down there. 

Had a really shitty 2 days following. Not sore, just tired and really sooky. Felt better yesteday after I goy back into training. 

Did they decide where 2020 70.3 worlds will be yet? 😛

Edited by Cranky
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Edit for me being a dumbo

Edited by AA7

31 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Edmonton, Canada. 

Really? I thought it was WA or NZ

I've never run (nearly) 10km at that pace! Happy to say I did not look at my pace  on my watch once on the run!! Just pushed. 

And that's how you run your best 10km. Just go hard and hang on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

That's 70.3 Worlds, either Perth or Taupo.

ITU Worlds for Olympic and Sprint:

2019 - Lausanne

2020 - Edmonton

2021 - Bermuda

2022 - Abu Dhabi

Edited by AA7

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Edmonton, Canada. 

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

14 minutes ago, AA7 said:

That's 70.3 Worlds, either Perth or Taupo.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, had me confused too RBR.

Alison's not a teacher too is she?

Oh gosh, i clearly need a holiday. 

I didn't realise BF was Gwen until we meet on a training run and then didn't realise she was LL until I read her rave report. I also didn't hear what you said when you passed me on the first lap, nor did I realise it was you!

Oh dear. See, this triathlon thing is killing my brain cells!

Ha!  So you don't actually hate me - you just didn't know who I was :lol:

You seemed to be in the zone - you grunted :P

Oh, and thanks for the lunch recommendation - we had The. Best. Burger. and a very delicious pint.  Seriously, that burger has to be one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

46 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Oh, and thanks for the lunch recommendation - we had The. Best. Burger. and a very delicious pint.  Seriously, that burger has to be one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

oh do tell ?

23 hours ago, AA7 said:

Careful now. I got called a jerk and keyboard warrior for calling this shit out at SC 70.3

5 hours ago, AA7 said:
5 hours ago, AA7 said:

Re - Worlds 70.3 2020

I was talking to some Kiwi's at the GC and they said Sept - October would still be way too cold at Taupo - they thought if it is in December it would be ok.

I think they mostly have the 70.3 WC in Sept ? so maybe it's Perth :😀😀

34 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Re - Worlds 70.3 2020

I was talking to some Kiwi's at the GC and they said Sept - October would still be way too cold at Taupo - they thought if it is in December it would be ok.

Yep, that was the consensus when the discussion happened on here a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Ha!  So you don't actually hate me - you just didn't know who I was :lol:

You seemed to be in the zone - you grunted :P

4 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

oh do tell ?

CSI Southport 

Everything tastes great at the end of a race!!

2 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Re - Worlds 70.3 2020

Not Perth. I don't want to be eaten by a shark... if I decide and IF I qualify

It would probably be in the Swan River -- they had 2 OD qualifying races there a few years ago -- Just got harmless big jelly fish there -- and when you get out of the River they have a water truck there to wash you down as you run past 

• Like 1