Cat Lady

ITU Worlds - the new thread

When the ITU long course worlds were in Perth in 2009 the swim was in the river - probably the choppiest swim I've ever done but didn't see any sharks 

• Like 2

On 18/09/2018 at 3:24 PM, plugga said:

My splits,

21.46  1.03.27  42.35    2.12.15

17th  55-59   5th Aussie home :)

not sure why they made us old farts go 2nd last wave  ???  The wind was howling by then 😳

I got age up, its one way to pick up 15 spots :)

On 19/09/2018 at 10:48 AM, AA7 said:

On another matter, far too many people claiming a 10km PB when it was clearly short. I didn't measure it, but I was absolutely plodding and still ran 46min. I think Cranky had it about 500-600m short.

That would prob be right, done o few of these things and was "surprised" when the finished popped up before I was spent (one of us was wrong - either their distance or my pacing).

Don't understand why the ITU/IM cant get this race distance thing perfect - they had 4 years and a massive budget (maybe if they had not spent so much of it running 5 or 6 events for really small fields (pro/junior-pro etc) while the people who pay for it (either personally or as cannon fodder for sponsorship and grant applications)).  Someone should really take them back 18 years for a full run-down on the MSM organised GC TWC and ask "Why can't you do better? ( better than the event 18 years ago with all that extra experience, or at least better than IM did - Value for money, course accuracy, course "feel" etc).

Maybe I'll get fit and give Bermuda a spin in three years time (in a better cat as well).

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

CSI Southport 

Everything tastes great at the end of a race!!

Not Perth. I don't want to be eaten by a shark... if I decide and IF I qualify

But even Mr BogFrog loved it - and he wasn't racing

• Like 1

When I first started doing triathlons a few years ago, I came on here and asked about the distances and why they were always wrong and was told that it the distances were approximations and it was about the course.  I don't think I've ever raced an "accurate" course.  The "most accurate" have been Mooloolaba and Canberra for standard distance.

Last year in Rotterdam, the swim was 1441m, bike 37.2km and the run 9.3km so I don't know what you are all complaining about :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trifun said:

Totally agree, my next age group ( in 2 years time ) I would have been on the podium and 10 seconds off second place 😳

49 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

When I first started doing triathlons a few years ago, I came on here and asked about the distances and why they were always wrong and was told that it the distances were approximations and it was about the course.  I don't think I've ever raced an "accurate" course.  The "most accurate" have been Mooloolaba and Canberra for standard distance.

Last year in Rotterdam, the swim was 1441m, bike 37.2km and the run 9.3km so I don't know what you are all complaining about :lol: 

I guess you never did the Hervey Bay Tri then :)

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

CSI Southport 

All the sharks are in  Whitsunday & full up, youll be ok in Perth 😉

I guess you never did the Hervey Bay Tri then :)

I think you got mentioned by someone after one comment I made about that Ron.

15th place with a sub 2hr race in the bay. I've also did my 1500m swim pb up there, and commented that "You'd think they'd get it right cause they could use a meter-wheel to measure the swim at low tide".

I must admit, they were great weekends.

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

CSI Southport 

The sharks are down in Busso not Perth. Swan River is full of jellies though.

Any body notice the levels of non finishers in the results?

DQ  & DNF rates about the same across various events but SD event had 81 DNS whereas the others were at 0 DNS (ie timing chip issued (ie racked) but did not enter the water. Supposition is these are the “disc wheel dropouts”.

20 minutes ago, trifun said:

Any body notice the levels of non finishers in the results?

DQ  & DNF rates about the same across various events but SD event had 81 DNS whereas the others were at 0 DNS (ie timing chip issued (ie racked) but did not enter the water. Supposition is these are the “disc wheel dropouts”.

Large section for about 8 bikes on my rack remained empty the whole time. No bikes ever racked.

I did the Sprint Distance and the run Distance on my Garmin was 4.93km.

2 laps with quite a few corners, so plenty of places where the GPS could of cut off some distance (generally only accurate in a straight line). So allowing for that, maybe 4.95km. There was a fair bit of running out of transition (including the bridge over the bike exit) before we crossed the timing mats. If you put the timing mat before the bridge I think the run would have easily been 5km, although the Olympic Distance run would have still been a bit short.  I suspect the person who measures the run does not always have a say about where the timing mats are placed.

For my race, had a reasonable swim despite my recent swim training being shite (gotta love wetsuits). Started the bike leg 20 secs behind the group that contained the race winner. Couldn't get enough support in my group to catch them. Group of 10, but only 3 riders willing to put in any effort. Terrible run, could not handle the heat (coming from Melbourne), paid for my efforts on the bike and probably still in a shitty mood that I wasn't able to gap to the group ahead. Faded to 17th in my Age Group. But still loved the race.

I did not get sick post race. Although my swim warmup was only 10 secs, just involved submerging myself once, so no chance of swallowing any of the water in the warmup area. Plus I didn't drink anything from the aid stations, just poured the water over my head.

Really enjoyed myself afterwards, bonus of getting my race out of the way on the first day. Loved getting together with my triathlete friends (our club had over 20 competing), watching the elite races, spending too much at the expo and generally having a good time. Put on 4kg in the 4 days after the race.  Also one of the athletes I coach took home a Silver medal, so that topped off the week nicely.

• Like 3