Sign in to follow this  
rory-dognz

Challenge Wanaka Full just got canned

That's a shame as it is a beautiful location. The course, especially the original and the weather were probably too hard for most but I would rather head over there for a race than to Port or Busso... I also dont give a frig about the MDot but I may be the minority...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, trilobite said:

So do challenge have any IM-distance events left in Asia-Pac?

Taiwan?

1 hour ago, imyoungmatt said:

People more time poor?

Yep. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

IM Distance is dying. 

Half is where it’s at. 

Anyone got figures showing year on year participation numbers across different distances (eg IM, 70.3, OD, etc)?

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

Anyone got figures showing year on year participation numbers across different distances (eg IM, 70.3, OD, etc)?

I have it for Mooloolaba OD for past 7 years or so

Someone probably has, but all you have to do is listen to the talk on your weekly coffee ride. It's all about Olympic/ standard distance races and doing a 70.3 mid season. 

Ironman races have become a bit costly for the average punter. And now people are trying to scare everyone about heart issues, FFS

3 hours ago, Peter said:

IM Distance is dying. 

Half is where it’s at. 

Yeah 

They're only 35% mental :huh:

• Haha 1

People are inherently lazy. It helps that it still has the Iron Man label, and only takes half the effort.

• Sad 1

I don't think it is the cost, the time involved is not sustainable and after you have done the few the long training sessions get kind of boring (in my opinion)

I reckon its both Money and Time poor.

These races are really expensive to enter, train, service, nutrition etc etc.

Work demands are higher being almost round the clock service. Also having friends who aren't into tri's, it kills the social scenes.....for me anyway. 

I like to see challenge buy Kurnell....... Challenge Kurnell...make it an event on the world stage. 

Wanaka lost a bit when they stopped the one lap bike for the full.

• Like 1

The first couple of years, the one lap bike course was a treat. Then Year 3, the wind hit -- up to 50 km headwind for the 70 km back from Cromwell. So they sent around an email asking us what we thought about making it two laps. Absolute opposition -- how dare you violate the ancient traditions of the race! A couple more years of wind, and they asked us again. Much different response -- it's about time -- been saying it for years -- glad you finally came around to our way of thinking!

Wind aside, making it two laps actually made it tougher -- more climbing. But the scenery and, even more so, the community turned the pain into pleasure. I'm going to miss the full, but still plan to go back for the half next year. Bonus -- I'll finish before the bars close.

• Like 1

Wasn't there only about 100 in the full this year?  And the pro race was the half this year.

Edited by goughy

Maybe a seperate thread, why is Cairns full sold out and 70.3 still open? I am hoping more spots released for Cairns and more a  ploy to get people into IM Oz (I have registered in final 10 days last 2 years @ Cairns). Or is it the allure of racing on the course with Gomez and Rinny ( and Bergs!!!). Do pros attract AG’s? 

• Like 1

They attract attention!

Cairns is a "championship race".... 

What do you make of those figures?

I did it first time in 2011 and it grew from then until the peak in 2013 before declining (2017 they offered really cheap entries and 2018 was the double points WC qualifier). 

My first two times there the place was buzzing with restaurants etc along the front full all afternoon (most closed for dinner as they’d been open since 5am).  The last few times the Sunday afternoon buzz has gone with most restaurants packing up just after midday and the infrastructure all dismantled by 2pm..

I think that costs (entry and accommodation) are a factor but also now they have the pro races on Saturday there is no reason for people to stick around on Sunday afternoon.. This years pro races had barely anyone watching the womens as it starts when people are registering, checking bike in or having lunch. A few more watched the mens but the club tents were largely empty and definitely not the usual vibe of people having a few drinks after racing that morning.. I don’t see why they couldn’t do the pro races both on Sunday especially as they are currently sprint distance events..

Still my A race every year and love taking the family for a beach getaway although that might change when they start school..

Individual tri Fun run Ocean swim
2013  2,616   664   402 
2014  2,570   466   327 
2015  1,832   381   280 
2016  1,650   265   210 
2017  2,143   224   192 
2018  2,140   258   140 

There were 105 registered for the Wanaka full this year, and 88 finishers (including Repeat Offender Jim Goodwin, who finished after the cutoff but still got his medal :-). The difference was about evenly split between DNF's and DNS's. There were also 25 teams in the full relay.

That was an improvement from 2017, once the pros are factored out (they did the half this year). After the race, Bill Roxburgh, the race director, said that they wanted to keep doing the full so long as the numbers showed improvement. IIRC, 200 was the goal. That wasn't happening though. In the email he sent out yesterday, he said "Challenge Wanaka Full had 105 individuals this year and the trustees were wanting to continue running this event but entries to date are very low for 2019".

They offered those of us who had already registered for 2019 a full refund and, if we wanted, half-price entry to our choice of the half or the aquabike. I can't fault them for trying, and I think they treated us very fairly, including making the decision when it needed to be made. Too many times, other organisations have strung out decisions to the last minute, creating heartache for everyone.

13 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

I reckon its both Money and Time poor.

These races are really expensive to enter, train, service, nutrition etc etc.

Work demands are higher being almost round the clock service. Also having friends who aren't into tri's, it kills the social scenes.....for me anyway. 

For me this is the case.

It's actually not the $950 entry fee.  It's all the other costs. So you have to make it holidays as well.  And to be honest, I just did 3 weeks in Mexico and Hawaii without a bike or a race, and I enjoyed it so much with not dragging a bike around.  Did a half marathon and my wife did a different half (whilst the other was with our child).

It's the great shame of not having Ironman Melbourne anymore.  Sure $1000 entry but no other costs needed.

People in Port, cairns or busso or even Perth would be crazy to not do it.  No airfare.  Own bed or maybe 2 nights acc at most. 

Then with the risk of races not happening or no swim etc like busso, it's a massive investment to NOT do the real race.