Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Campagnolo goes 12 Speed

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/campagnolo-goes-12-speed-with-super-record-and-record-rim-and-disc-groupsets/

Does this mean it won't just be the frame getting a revamp FatPom?

Given the time it usually takes them from announcement to being available, I won't be hitting the classifieds just yet. :lol:

I was in Gran Canaria training two years ago, Campag were in the same hotel as us doing all the testing and press shots for Hydro.  It's still bloody hard to get two years later!

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Read this this morning and immediately thought of FP too!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, FatPom said:

Given the time it usually takes them from announcement to being available, I won't be hitting the classifieds just yet. :lol:

I was in Gran Canaria training two years ago, Campag were in the same hotel as us doing all the testing and press shots for Hydro.  It's still bloody hard to get two years later!

I lived with a guy who was a Rabobank Team doctor back in 1998 and he showed me photos of Shimano 13 speed in prototype form back then - they couldn't get it to work and gave up. The chains were too narrow and kept breaking under load.

So, how many is too many? My FIL's Volvo XC90 has a 9-speed box and you can't tell when it's changing up and down ... even when towing his 25ft boat! I think 11 is enough on the bike for me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I lived with a guy who was a Rabobank Team doctor back in 1998 and he showed me photos of Shimano 13 speed in prototype form back then - they couldn't get it to work and gave up. The chains were too narrow and kept breaking under load.

So, how many is too many? My FIL's Volvo XC90 has a 9-speed box and you can't tell when it's changing up and down ... even when towing his 25ft boat! I think 11 is enough on the bike for me.

Yeah I work with Brett Lancaster's Dad. Brett's team at the time, Milram, were testing that and snapping chains every day. At the time the report was "it's ****ing shit". But there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then. 

37 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

So, how many is too many? .............................. I think 11 is enough on the bike for me.

I suppose going to 12 will help with the move to single chain-ring, allowing a wider range on the cassette.

Think it said in the article that with the range in cassettes extending to like 11-32t etc, there are bigger gaps between each cog so going to twelve smooths that our a bit.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Think it said in the article that with the range in cassettes extending to like 11-32t etc, there are bigger gaps between each cog so going to twelve smooths that our a bit.

IME, the issue with wide ranging cassettes is not the gap itself but where it sits. That can be different for different riding styles I guess.