goughy

DI2 on older bike?

Ok, so this is me just spitballing, so take it with a grain of salt!

I'm riding my TT more and more over my roadie, even with the local hills.  Just loving it.  So I've got to thinking about di2 ultegra.  Obviously this bike isn't di2 ready, but I'm assuming you can retro fit it to work?  I really see the main issue being the battery, but I'd assume there has to be a way to fit it below the downtube bottle cage, and then the cable for the battery could probably come out were the front derailleur cable does.  The bike does have internal cable routing.

It's not something I'd do in one hit.  I'd take my time getting the pieces I need, so it's not such a big hit and so I could sneak out all past the minister.  But I'm not 100% sure of all the stuff I'd need;  front and rear derailleurs, aerobar and brake shifters, battery and charger, but I'm not sure specifically what else is needed.....  Obviously don't need brakes, cranksets, etc.  Just the bare necessities.

All my wheels are 10 speed, and I don't know if they can be converted to 11 (maybe it's just a change of hub),  but I couldn't care less about whether I have 10 or 11, or synchro shifting etc.

So if anyone could give me a little advice, or point me in the right direction, that would be awesome!  

Not an expert but I think there is a new 105 11 speed cassette that fits on 10 speed hub. 

Also need cables and junction boxes 

• Like 1

Just use an internal battery, mount it in the seat tube. 

Then all you need to be able to do is get one cable in to the frame at the head tube and a cable out of the frame at each derailleur. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, watched this vid and it doesn't seem too bad...

Would have to sort out something else to make the battery work as my seat tube actually runs externally, but I'm sure there's a way it could work.  Looks like buying ask the bits and pieces for an ultegra di2 TT setup would be a little shy of $2k, depending on prices at the time.  Haven't seen anyone with a TT complete groupset kit, but if I wanna buy it a bit at a time that doesn't matter.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, goughy said:

Would have to sort out something else to make the battery work as my seat tube actually runs externally, but I'm sure there's a way it could work.  Looks like buying ask the bits and pieces for an ultegra di2 TT setup would be a little shy of $2k, depending on prices at the time.  Haven't seen anyone with a TT complete groupset kit, but if I wanna buy it a bit at a time that doesn't matter.  

Yours is a D6 isnt it?? 

If by running externally you mean the seat post is a seat "mast" then you just push the battery inside the seat tube then place the seat mast over the top. 

With the "bits" once you decide to go for it, just collect the parts on Facebook bike sale sites. 

Yeah, was thinking that might work, though I assume it needs a way to stay in place?  Don't know much about this stuff, but I like winging things....

I have done a few like that, just need to make sure it doesn't get stuck in the seat tube in case you need to get it out later and doesnt rattle either. 

Its easy to do, a bit of foam and tape can work wonders. 

Yep I enjoy tinkering and routing Di2, it can be a pain occasionally but patience is the key. 

Oh, you will also need a charger. 

Wont your mate be wanting to upgrade soon and then you can have his etap?

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yeah, was thinking that might work, though I assume it needs a way to stay in place? 

Jam it in just above the motor. The battery set-up will also hide any heat signature if they are scanning during the race.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, pieman said:

Wont your mate be wanting to upgrade soon and then you can have his etap?

Don't want his ETAP...... Blech.  And he will be upgrading soon, his road bike!

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Its easy to do, a bit of foam and tape can work wonders. 

I think I might have some scrap foam around the place ;)

Thanks for all the tips.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

I think I might have some scrap foam around the place ;)

You should be able to stitch up a nice little pouch for it with some piping  and a draw cord for when you need to pull it out of the seat tube. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AA7 said:

New bike

I'm seriously surprised it took someone this long to write this... 

But if you're going to spend $2k on an old bike like that goughy, you might actually be better off going new. There are some pretty sweet deals out there if you look close enough ;)

Yeah, I wondered how long it would take!  But this isn't my old old bike, this is the Fuji you guys gave me.  And buying a new bike or even full groupset ain't ever gonna happen.  By the time I could get that money together something else more important will come up that needs the money.  But finding a couple hundred here or there to buy one piece at a time could be doable.  It could easily take a year or more to get it all together!  I don't spend on myself that easily.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yeah, I wondered how long it would take!  But this isn't my old old bike, this is the Fuji you guys gave me.  And buying a new bike or even full groupset ain't ever gonna happen.  By the time I could get that money together something else more important will come up that needs the money.  But finding a couple hundred here or there to buy one piece at a time could be doable.  It could easily take a year or more to get it all together!  I don't spend on myself that easily.

If it is going to take a while to get the cash together then you 'may' run into issues with older stuff not being supported in future (10sp?) or not talking to newer versions? 

I reckon just go with what you've got, use the cash for something else ;) I'm riding 105 and mechanical these days... I'm a poor retail shop owner and such! 

Ok, ok my wife has Di2 because she actually uses her bike. Mine hangs on the wall and looks pretty. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm riding 105 and mechanical these days...

.....................Mine hangs on the wall and looks pretty. 

It'd look prettier with Dura-Ace. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It'd look prettier with Dura-Ace. :)

But I'd look funny without balls. This is the bad part about wifey knowing what things ACTUALLY cost now. She did just buy a kickr though, so I cant complain :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And if she doesn't let you use it, I say that's as close to permission to spoil yourself as any man can get!

33 minutes ago, willie said:

But I'd look funny without balls. This is the bad part about wifey knowing what things ACTUALLY cost now. She did just buy a kickr though, so I cant complain :)

I saw a 7900 groupset on bicycle marketplace for $350. Even if you have to pay more, you can always say this is what you paid. :)

I’ve got a Cervelo aluminium frame super cheap a few years back. Spent 6months buying parts on eBay Facebook and various overseas web sites. Ended up   di2+ Ultegra on it. Oh  and a power meter.  Pretty good training bike  I should sell it due to lack of use. one day  

Here is a shot with its show pony p5 brother in the background  

506E9F07-EC06-47CE-A55B-6D6F249BE8D6.jpeg

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 3