Peter

What do you love to do? What makes you feel normal?

I'm watching some car show and this guy said

When I am driving this car, I feel normal.  It's what I love to do.

What's that for you?

(Note the guy was in a wheelchair after falling off a building, just for some context)

Edited by Peter

Ive been thinking about this all day, honestly I dont know....I mean my life at the moment goes like this

I train for an upcoming race most days..this doesn't make me feel normal at all but keeps me entertained mentally

I work Mon - Fri (i guess this is normal for most)

3 nights a week im at the pool ( that doesn't make me feel normal either)

I work on my 4WD somewhere amongst that

My young fellas eczema is causing us all sorts of grief at the moment as its (in doctors words) severely infected so the AM and PM routine with him is quite exhaustive currently due to what we have to do to get the skin under control again.

Maybe the best way i could answer is when im at the beach with the family sitting under the shade of the awning listening to some light music eating cheese and crackers while the kids play in the water.....thats probably when i feel most "normal"

Strangely enough, I feel most normal doing the things I don't get to do very often any more. I think maybe because they were such a part of my life when I was younger, and I don't get the chance to do them now, the few times I do, they just feel normal.

Body surfing in big surf, reading a (paper) book, and sitting down with a rod & reel, with bait on the hook instead of working a lure. Those things make me feel normal, even though these days they aren't that normal.

Training in the morning and tucking my kids in at night.

Honestly, I can't really think of a single thing...

• Like 2

Walking the dog, is probably what i do to feel normal.

Unfortunately Rory is getting very old so walks are limited to about 10 min a day.

Dropping down a steep face and cranking off a huge bottom turn.

Knee sliders kissing the apex and having the track feel like a 'ribbon'.

Going absolutely balls out 'can't go any harder, I'm gonna puke, never doing this again' on the TT bike :)

• Like 1

I love to ride my bikes - which I need to do more often. There is nothing better than the wind in your hair and the road / trail under your wheels.

• Like 1

24-25 degrees, no humidity, light breeze blowing, sun, couple of cold beers.... yep.

----

or

-----

when i get down the coast these days, 

day goes,

get up, paddle 4 to 10k depending on feel. 

coffee, breakfast,

walk

beach,

lie around, 

beer or decent red

dinner

watch big bash or nrl

(maybe mtn bike in the arvo after the beach,  if it is with me)

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Normal would be doing nothing and watching crap on TV at night.

who wants to be normal........not me!

Mine is very different everyone else.  This is my weekend and week night go to - knitting, reading and the puzzles from the Australian.  This is my chilling out.

As well as going out for coffee, the occasional dinners, cooking, and short walks iaround the sugar cane after work.

2410DF00-9277-49D0-9CE4-C0622322C5F5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Normal would be doing nothing and watching crap on TV at night.

who wants to be normal........not me!

So you're finally admitting  you're abnormal... 

Edited by pieman

Cuddles with my daughter on the couch watching Family Feud. 

Cheesey but it's why I exist. And picks me up from anything back to "normal" 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2018 at 4:56 AM, skel said:

Mine is very different everyone else.  This is my weekend and week night go to - knitting, reading and the puzzles from the Australian.  This is my chilling out.

As well as going out for coffee, the occasional dinners, cooking, and short walks iaround the sugar cane after work.

Do you like Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain? 

• Haha 1

One thing I forgot to write.

I absolutely love, love, love the tranquility of an early morning start to drive to a race, especially if it's an hour or two or more. Could be the day of the race, or a  few days before.  I get a real buzz just having some music on, driving along and catching a glimpse of the shadow of the bike on the roof.

You are in that twilight zone between training/packing and getting swept up in race two buzz. You have nothing to do but drive and anticipate, especially if you haven't done the event before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I absolutely love, love, love the tranquility of an early morning start to drive to a race...

I've agonised over this thread as there's lots of things that I love to do, but FP's post above reminded me of how much I love to race.  I don't take racing all that serious, but there's something about doing a race that I almost always find really enjoyable.

As far as what makes me feel normal, I don't really know.  I don't think I ever feel 'normal', but my life for the past 25 years has revolved around doing some sort of regular exercise, usually running.  I'm currently on a forced 'lay-off' which is feeling very 'abnormal', but at least I'm getting more time to annoy you guys and post on Transitions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I get a real buzz just having some music on, driving along and catching a glimpse of the shadow of the bike on the roof.

Actually this reminded me of one of my fondest memories from years back. Hard to do now with the new Pacific Highway, but driving South up any of the long winding hills on the old highway north of Bryon Bay, ocean to the left, shadow of the car with boards on top to the right, windows down (who had A/C back then) and Aus Crawl playing load on the stereo. Just magic.

• Like 3

On 15/04/2018 at 11:56 AM, skel said:

Awesome😎👌