roxii

Commonwealth games chat.

Someone interviewed today said the Paras have been integrated at the Comm games before its just that there are a lot more Para athletes and events this time. 

Kurt Fernley played a massive part this year.

In the past, there has been a few para events at the Comm Games, as an intro to them being more involved.   Kurt was involved in pushing for more para events in this Games, and the management of the programming.    Still some compromises, as only some events and classifications included, so some had to pool together.

But the goal is to fully integrate them I think. 

• Like 1

Men's 200m.  Thought it was clear who the winner was, but that slowmo totally shows Hughes impeding Richards. He deliberately stuck his arm out. Clear as day

Great to see Vanuatu won their first ever medal - bronze in the women’s beach volleyball. I have of soft spot for them as I lived over there for three and a half years. 

Very proud. 

FM

• Like 2

crazy finish but great run from Luke Matthews for bronze in the 800m

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goughy said:

Hearing the 16yr old Aussie girl who won her 100mtrs (I hope I got that all right) talking about the crowd and how insane it was..... they deserve that every time!

Agree totally, it was great to see.  The disappointing bit was that there were 3 Australians in that race and the Channel 7 media kept promoting Isis (the 16 year old who ended up winning) in all their promo's about the upcoming event but didn't even mention the other two girls... one of them didn't even get introduced prior to the start.  I thought that bit was pretty poor.

9 hours ago, Turts said:

Kurt Fernley played a massive part this year.

He's done a huge amount for the sport, both on and off the track.

4 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Men's 200m.  Thought it was clear who the winner was, but that slowmo totally shows Hughes impeding Richards. He deliberately stuck his arm out. Clear as day

Definitely impeded, not quite the slam dunk for me but a good decision.

I am conflicted about the paralympics events. On the one hand I think they are great and inspirational, and on the other hand I think they are flawed. As we all know, there are already heaps of events in an Olympics. When the para is added in you get not just a doubling of events, but even more as you have different events for different disabilities, and different severity of disability. Inevitably, you also tend to have the winners being the ones with the least severe disability for that category. In many ways I don't get it. 

Put simply, It's great to see people do things that others would have said they couldn't or shouldn't do (e.g. like ironman finishers with disability). I am less sure on people with a disability competing to beat each other, when disabilities are so variable that the end result is often that the least disabled person who qualifies for a particular disability category wins.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

Definitely impeded, not quite the slam dunk for me but a good decision.

Agree. And if it hadn't  happened it was fairly clear to me that Richards would have stormed past. As it was I couldn't pick who won. 

1 minute ago, dazaau said:

I am conflicted about the paralympics events. On the one hand I think they are great and inspirational, and on the other hand I think they are flawed. As we all know, there are already heaps of events in an Olympics. When the para is added in you get not just a doubling of events, but even more as you have different events for different disabilities, and different severity of disability. Inevitably, you also tend to have the winners being the ones with the least severe disability for that category. In many ways I don't get it. 

Put simply, It's great to see people do things that others would have said they couldn't or shouldn't do (e.g. like ironman finishers with disability). I am less sure on people with a disability competing to beat each other, when disabilities are so variable that the end result is often that the least disabled person who qualifies for a particular disability category wins.

Yeah they were saying last night there is some bad blood between the English and Welsh girls in the 100m I think it was, where the English girl is streets ahead of everyone and the Welsh girls dad has complained to the Para "committee" that she is not as impaired as she should be or claims to be. 

I think wheelchair sports are OK as they are a pretty level playing field.

On another note the pole vault was an awesome final last night.  

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah they were saying last night there is some bad blood between the English and Welsh girls in the 100m I think it was, where the English girl is streets ahead of everyone and the Welsh girls dad has complained to the Para "committee" that she is not as impaired as she should be or claims to be. 

Was watching the 100m last night and it South Africans came first and 2nd but I couldnt pick a disability? The guy coming 4th had to run in a blindfold and with a guide? Not sure how they are matched up..?

now just seen a table tennis layer is competing in both para and able bodied tournaments? 

That's what happened to the Australian swimmer Maddison Elliott, She won everything but was then reclassified and now couldn't even make the Commonwealth games team

31 minutes ago, roxii said:

Actually, didn't a wheelchair basket ball team get booted from an Olympics or something years ago when it was revealed a large portion of the team wasn't disabled?

The NZ mens MTB with Gold and Silver and the comments from the winner that the guy coming second should have waited while he fixed his tire. It's a race not a picnic 

Getting more coverage than the result

I could see Bolt now, ew ew, I blew a shoe! Let's just stop and start again!

2 hours ago, Limited said:

That's what happened to the Australian swimmer Maddison Elliott, She won everything but was then reclassified and now couldn't even make the Commonwealth games team

It’s part of the lottery of life I’m afraid. When I raced Para I had a competitor who I would beat. Then he was reclassified and went from nowhere to multiple world and Paralympic champion. I think it’s fantastic - he’s a nice young guy and humble.

But yes there is gaming of the system now as paras have become more marketable. And the system loves and fawns over the ones who are gold medal chances but doesn’t give a rats left testicle about any one else trying to give the sport a crack. If anything it’s set up to actively dissuade them from continuing and I’ve seen plenty give it away as a result. Some of it is pretty disgraceful. 

It’s the focus on gold medals which has priority over helping people lead productive lives and gain access to opportunities. 

3 hours ago, roxii said:

I'm not so sure.

Look at Lauren parker in the Triathlon.  She has less use lower than the 2 girls that came 1st and 2nd and therefore doesn't have the CORE strength they do.  So once they got into the wheelchairs they had a much better ability to push a chair.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm not so sure.

Look at Lauren parker in the Triathlon.  She has less use lower than the 2 girls that came 1st and 2nd and therefore doesn't have the CORE strength they do.  So once they got into the wheelchairs they had a much better ability to push a chair.

Well Lauren has only been competing for about 6 months or so, give her some time and I'm sure she will increase her strength and endurance to match the others.

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Well Lauren has only been competing for about 6 months or so, give her some time and I'm sure she will increase her strength and endurance to match the others.

3 months she said. 

9 minutes ago, roxii said:

3 months she said. 

Even better.

You only have to look at some her photos from just after the accident to now to see how much her upper body has developed already.

Edited by AA7

Might have to see if I can get some media accreditation and come up and visit the mother in law :lol: 

4 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah it does seem unfair, but if you then create more categories, you're going to end up with finals with 2 people. It would be simple if it were people missing limbs, put all the guys with one arm up against each other, but things like cerebral palsy, there's such a range.