roxii

Commonwealth games chat.

The Aussies are cleaning up in the pool now. The women's 800m just made it four clean sweeps (1st, 2nd & 3rd) in a row for them. I've been loving the swimming & cycling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beaten said:

Cycling, athletics and yes that. A lot of shit appears to have been going on under UKAD watch.

It'll all blow over :whistling:

• Haha 1

Tyler Butterfield is entered in the men's marathon. Interesting to see if he has a proper attempt at a quick time.

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Tyler Butterfield is entered in the men's marathon. Interesting to see if he has a proper attempt at a quick time.

He is about twice the size of the marathon runners.

8 hours ago, Aidan said:

He posted solid times in training. Obviously won’t win but expect a 2:20 or just under

I know on IMTalk when they ask the question of how fast could they do a stand alone mara with the training etc, they've often referred to one pro who came up with a pretty fast time, and I'm thinking Tyler was the one!  Maybe they'll mention it again in a week or so.

Haven't really watched much of the Commonwealth Games, but how good were the Men/s and Women's 100m Medley Relays...

That was sensational!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I know on IMTalk when they ask the question of how fast could they do a stand alone mara with the training etc, they've often referred to one pro who came up with a pretty fast time, and I'm thinking Tyler was the one!  Maybe they'll mention it again in a week or so.

It was Rasmus Henning - said he could run 2.12

Thanks for the correction!  Well, let's see how close TB gets to a 2:12.

1 minute ago, goughy said:

Thanks for the correction!  Well, let's see how close TB gets to a 2:12.

No chance. 

Tyler after doing both triathlons I thought I heard he was doing the mountain bike as well. Then the marathon. 

Could be wrong but sure I heard it on tv. 

Butterfield has run 2.27 before. I'd be surprised if he is any quicker than that.

I think he might need to update his threshold pace. Not sure how you get 247 rTSS from a 2h’ish run. :wink1:

Was reading through the list of NSWIS athletes competing and noticed Cris Ashcroft is a para- power lifter now and competing at Comm Games. They do bench press. She is aiming to go to Tokyo Paralympics in 2020.

• Confused 1

Just had a chuckle. After Isis Holt won the 100 metre para sprint, the commentator said  that she was killing them out there. 

FM

• Haha 1

How great is it too have the para athletes competing at the same time as everyone else?  Should this become the norm?  Seems to me they're getting heaps of support, and love having full stand of spectators cheering them on?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, goughy said:

How great is it too have the para athletes competing at the same time as everyone else?  Should this become the norm?  Seems to me they're getting heaps of support, and love having full stand of spectators cheering them on?

Yep I think its a time for a rethink on the olympics. Too many sports already and more coming on board. 

Pear back the number of sports and include the paras instead. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, goughy said:

Absolutely it's been fantastic.  

I didn't see 1 second of para at the Winter Olympics on Ch7.  And we won golds.

Should totally be the norm going forward.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, goughy said:

I was down there working on the tri and went to an athletics session. Crowd support for the paras was great. 

• Like 1

Just noticed Flora Duffy was a DNS for the mountain bike today.

55 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Just noticed Flora Duffy was a DNS for the mountain bike today.

Twitter

More

Unfortunately I will not be racing the @thecgf women’s mountain bike event tomorrow. A tough decision, but after riding the course I felt there was too much risk for me personally. Especially with #WTSBermuda two weeks from now. I’ll work on my skills :)

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Yep I think its a time for a rethink on the olympics. Too many sports already and more coming on board. 

Pear back the number of sports and include the paras instead. 

I reckon spread the olympics out to 3 weeks and mix it all in... Kills two birds with one stone. Doesn't really create that much of a headache either. Cull some events at the swimming if need be, I don't think cycling would need a cull, it's awesome watching the para's go around (how hard is sprinting on a tandem!) and other sports may need to adjust and adapt... Triathlon is already doing so, I feel they're getting it more right now with the sprint and teams race. However, I reckon you should be allowed to send out your athletes in an order you like (like the mixed 4 x 400m relay etc). Creates a lot more "what if's" and random outcomes that would happen other wise (aka good female somehow manages to hold onto the guys swim and hold a wheel in the bike and the like). 

I also dont think we need as many sports, some sports could care less about olympics or not (aka tennis, golf are two). They're big events are the majors. I kind of feel like equine events are kinda silly as well. A lot of time, effort and money goes into it and there is a very very small cross section of people that follow the sport (I'd say even less than triathlon). 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

I kind of feel like equine events are kinda silly as well. A lot of time, effort and money goes into it and there is a very very small cross section of people that follow the sport (I'd say even less than triathlon).

You ought to live out here. Most locals seem to hate cyclists (so I assume also triathletes), but go nutty over anything to do with horses. As soon as you move out of the city perceptions change.

As a huge golfing fan, I totally agree with you!

Is this the first time a major sporting event has had the para mixed in with the able bodied events?  Hearing the 16yr old Aussie girl who won her 100mtrs (I hope I got that all right) talking about the crowd and how insane it was..... they deserve that every time!

• Like 1