roxii

Commonwealth games chat.

Just thought I’d put a  thread here for general Commonwealth Games chat.

as a start it’s great to see the Aussie track cyclists finally doing something with those flappy old school numbers by putting a transparent pocket in the skinsuits to put the numbers in. 

Wonder if athletics will do similar? 

• Like 1

Im on holidays and gotta say the coverage is pretty good. 

Track cycling all arvo today and last night. The app is better with robbie and mat keenan than whoever is on ch7. 

Cant wait for the triathlon tomorrow. 

Teams race is fast and awesome 

53 minutes ago, roxii said:

Just thought I’d put a  thread here for general Commonwealth Games chat.

as a start it’s great to see the Aussie track cyclists finally doing something with those flappy old school numbers by putting a transparent pocket in the skinsuits to put the numbers in. 

Wonder if athletics will do similar? 

Nopinz?

I thought visors were supposed to be slower than sunnies or no eyewear yet 90% are wearing them in the cycling?

And are the Australian team wearing Kasks?

1 hour ago, zed said:

I thought visors were supposed to be slower than sunnies or no eyewear yet 90% are wearing them in the cycling?

And are the Australian team wearing Kasks?

yep Kask

How good is the men’s Kerin, plenty of hip and shoulder action at 70kph while hooking into a 45 degree banked corner. 

Awesone stuff 

Although I’m working tomorrow I can’t wait for the tri relay. Very excited at the prospect of a medal for Matty Hauser after his strong showing in the individual race. 

Why aren’t the crissfitters out there smashing the weightlifting ? 

Just arrived at Gold Coast today for a week. Super excited to watch the tri tomorrow

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, roxii said:

One just won a gold for Australia 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, roxii said:

Canada chick earlier today in I think the 48kg class won. 

Owns a CrossFit gym. 

Just think, we think CrossFit vegans are wankers. Imagine what the weight lifting community thinks of them. 

Swimming spectators loving the fact they paid hundreds of dollars to sit in the rain tonight.

Wow, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold.........

Exhausted watching tonight.

Well done Aussie female gymnast coming in for bronze in team event.  Lots of boo boo’s but did really well in vault to sneak in for third. 

What the, there is an 11 year old in the table tennis......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

48 minutes ago, Limited said:

One just won a gold for Australia 

Not just a crossfiter, but isn't she the Crossfit World Champ 2017?

13 minutes ago, skel said:

What the, there is an 11 year old in the table tennis......

Apparently a household name home in Wales!

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

Apparently a household name home in Wales!

I saw a clip of her last night.  I think she has a Chinese coach and Mother is Chinese. Fair enough, no issue there but I'm bloody sure I saw her Mum waving a Chinese flag, which seemed odd as she was representing Wales. Was I mistaken?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Have you seen the Aussie badminton team?

hmmm

My confusion is not about the heritage, more about why her Mother is waving a Chinese flag at the Comm Games?

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

My confusion is not about the heritage, more about why her Mother is waving a Chinese flag at the Comm Games?

Maybe she’s still Chinese but the daughter isn’t. 

Para triathlon about to kick off! Great to see this event in the main game.  Will be great viewing

4 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Para triathlon about to kick off! Great to see this event in the main game.  Will be great viewing

Awesome that ch7 two have devoted full live TV coverage to this. 

• Like 1

This is hard to watch. These athletes are incredible. 

By the time the ads are finished the swim will be over.......

4 minutes ago, skel said:

By the time the ads are finished the swim will be over.......

Watch on the app. No breaks. 

How good is the team tri!  Just make yourself puke.  No wonder I enjoy the corporate tri so much.

How good a showing is Hauser giving?  Not showing any apprehension or fear in either race.  Happy to share the work and wouldn't let Brownlee have the lead in the run.  A good sign for the future???

Edited by goughy
  • Haha 1

Great job by Matt Hauser to stay with brownlee 

• Like 1

Did anyone notice the last kiwi in the relay jumped off the bike with his run shoes on?? 

Ive never seen that, would uld he use toe saddles or something??

I’ve always thought the mixed relay was a bit naff, but it’s been awesome watching it in person. 

• Like 1

Would have been awesome!  How fast were they riding and running?  They seem fast as when I've watched OD's, can't imagine how guts out they go for such a short race!

9 minutes ago, The new guy said:

Did anyone notice the last kiwi in the relay jumped off the bike with his run shoes on?? 

I think the whole team had flats with runners. Probably saved them a good 15 sec overall. Won bronze over 4th by less than that

12 minutes ago, The new guy said:

There used to be a few brands of “platforms” they were popular many years ago when duathlon was big. 

Pyro platforms were the last ones still making them I think. 

Like this 

061AC15E-8AFC-4B46-BD4C-C58B9534D394.jpeg

Edited by roxii

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

I think the whole team had flats with runners. Probably saved them a good 15 sec overall. Won bronze over 4th by less than that

But are they 15 seconds worse over the bike course. When in a pack, then no problems, but TTing, surging, or putting in an effort from a turn-around you'd have to think bike shoes would be better.

• Like 1

I reckon we will see some development on these in the coming years. They are 90s technology, now with carbon fibre etc I’m sure they will make a new version.  

Still have a pair of Thompson Timeless Transition Pedal Adapters in the shed, only been used twice, they only work with tiny racing flats, no chance of the Hokas going in.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, The new guy said:

They were used back in the day when triathlon was hard. ;) 

rob barel used them in the 2000 olympics. 

Edited by Peter

25 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But are they 15 seconds worse over the bike course. When in a pack, then no problems, but TTing, surging, or putting in an effort from a turn-around you'd have to think bike shoes would be better.

Yeah. I mean how long to get a pair of shoes on, Birtwhistle did it in about 4sec

2 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah. I mean how long to get a pair of shoes on, Birtwhistle did it in about 4sec

Well the kiwi and other 2teams got to the end of the bike with the first guy and he put 20seconds into them and they all got on the bike together and then off together. 

So in that example they were a massive advantage. 

However if it was like our first girl who worked her arse off to catch the Pom chick, maybe not. 

But today for the kiwis 3of the 4had them and it got them a medal for sure. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

They were used back in the day when triathlon was hard. ;) 

rob barel used them in the 2000 olympics. 

Hamish Carter did too at comm or olympic games

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Well the kiwi and other 2teams got to the end of the bike with the first guy and he put 20seconds into them and they all got on the bike together and then off together. 

So in that example they were a massive advantage. 

However if it was like our first girl who worked her arse off to catch the Pom chick, maybe not. 

But today for the kiwis 3of the 4had them and it got them a medal for sure. 

All the Aussies works hard as on the bike today.  Gentle did awesome to catch hers.  Hauser pulled continual turns with Brownlee and didn't they extend their lead?  And Birtie had to keep AB at bay just in case he was running ok.  None of them really had the opportunity to lose an extra second on the bike.

3 hours ago, roxii said:

I reckon we will see some development on these in the coming years. They are 90s technology, now with carbon fibre etc I’m sure they will make a new version.  

I can see development happening with the platform, but you are still going to have cushioning between the foot & the platform (the running shoes midsole), so you will lose energy there.

4 hours ago, roxii said:

There used to be a few brands of “platforms” they were popular many years ago when duathlon was big. 

Pyro platforms were the last ones still making them I think. 

Like this 

061AC15E-8AFC-4B46-BD4C-C58B9534D394.jpeg

Rob Barel (then aged 46) competed in the Sydney Olympics triathlon with something similar 

Edited by Andrew #1

There's room for improvement with helmet buckles.  Seems like there's a few seconds to be saved with a system that clips instantly instead of having to fumble around doing it up. 

46 minutes ago, A2K said:

There's room for improvement with helmet buckles.  Seems like there's a few seconds to be saved with a system that clips instantly instead of having to fumble around doing it up. 

I think the specialized evade is magnetic..

Watching the track cycling, very entertaining. Great ride by McCulloch.

whats the go with the sock height on these trackies? Look like they’re rocking late 70s NBA tube socks

25 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Watching the track cycling, very entertaining. Great ride by McCulloch.

whats the go with the sock height on these trackies? Look like they’re rocking late 70s NBA tube socks

trip socks?

Just watched the interview with the Aussie girl Tennant who got dg'ed in the 20k walk.  Only a few minutes earlier if been explaining to my daughter about what happened to Saville years ago!  Then I walked outside, and came back in just after it happened!  Gutted for her.  But it was interesting what she was saying to Welchy.  That she tried to push the pace and make a move earlier and she picked up two red cards.  So she just settled back down and was fine until she went again to take the lead and then another red.  Young Girl who won has a lot of years left to compete, and only her third go at this distance.  As a fellow walker (all be it at half their place and only socially with the dog) it seems our walking has a bright future!

I noticed a red woggle or something on each of everyones shoes.... is this how they know she had lifted both feet off the ground.

Otherwise its a very subjective DQ. Like back in the 2000 Olympics.