Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Supamau

Arthroscopy of the knee

Recommended Posts

Anyone gone through this medical procedure before? I would like to know their review/feedback on recovery times, impact on activity levels, etc

I got an mri scan on my knee, and it shows a tear on my lateral meniscus. Doctor suggested getting it repaired or replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Supamau said:

Anyone gone through this medical procedure before? I would like to know their review/feedback on recovery times, impact on activity levels, etc

I got an mri scan on my knee, and it shows a tear on my lateral meniscus. Doctor suggested getting it repaired or replaced.

Dont listen to them...

 

lots of recent threads on here and elsewhere say meniscal repairs not required or useful in large number of cases... 

 

I've had 3...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, pieman said:

Dont listen to them...

 

lots of recent threads on here and elsewhere say meniscal repairs not required or useful in large number of cases... 

 

I've had 3...

Are you still able to run with these tears?

I can't seem to run, as the muscles around the knee lock up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Supamau said:

Are you still able to run with these tears?

I can't seem to run, as the muscles around the knee lock up. 

First tear was at age 16, had operation and was fine. 

Tore other knee at age 17 and had generally no issues with it for 15 years. The floating cartilage occasionally locked the knee up but could generally resolve this with some gentle 'traction' on knee.  Had surgery once these locks became more frequent (daily). No issues

Had further surgery to clean up floating cartilage from first knee. Ended up with a PE in lung and lucky to be here as avoided the pain of it for a few days. Was on crutches due to fluid/blood around the knee from that surgery/blood thinners for 6 weeks. this recovery took ages as my whole leg was half the size of the other one so had to start all over agin strength and mobility wise..

Am running okay at the moment but figure knee replacements are in my future...

this is worst case, but talk to parkside and Aidan (?) as I think they are anti arthroscopy.. based on research

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pieman said:

Am running okay at the moment but figure knee replacements are in my future...

That doesn't sound too good, think I'll be heading that direction too... 

How long was your rehab after the surgeries? How many months after only did you started running again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Send Comfortably Numb a message, he'll enlighten you!

I've had two tears, one in each knee.  I had an arthroscopy for one as the pain wasn't settling down and it turned out the torn flap had folded over on itself and it was never gonna get better without intervention.  I can't say what the recovery for that was like because he found another major issue in there which extended my recovery quite a bit.  But my appointment before the surgery he said I'd be back on my bike on the trainer with no or light resistance in a week.  He said don't do what my doc mate did that referred me to him, and go on a 50k ride the day after his arthroscopy.

I also got a tear in my other knee, funny enough happened while at the exercise physios doing the work to strengthen my other knee!  MRI showed a tear, but after about 2 weeks the discomfort was settling and my surgeon said if it's not bothering me any more then he recommended not touching it.  So we didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my best case was short run/walk after 5 weeks, cycling could have been 3 weeks but swelling limited the full range of motion and couldnt pedal while seated..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pieman said:

 but talk to parkside and Aidan (?) as I think they are anti arthroscopy.. based on research

It's not that clear cut to say you shouldn't go in.  You've got to hope your OS knows there shit and is not just about the cut and shut.  One of my tears was not going to get better without going in.  The other one has been ok without going in.  Saw the same surgeon for both and everything that has and hasn't been done has been completely on his recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, goughy said:

" turned out the torn flap had folded over on itself "

OMG, that is the same thing i have, doctor says apparently this is very common and can happen to just about anyone. Some just don't realized it until get too painful. 

But getting back on the bike in 1-2 weeks sounds promising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Supamau said:

Anyone gone through this medical procedure before? I would like to know their review/feedback on recovery times, impact on activity levels, etc

I got an mri scan on my knee, and it shows a tear on my lateral meniscus. Doctor suggested getting it repaired or replaced.

They can't replace it, only stitch it back together, which they usually only do in young people under 30yrs, and if the tear is in an area with good blood supply so it will slowly heal).  Else they just trim off and remove the torn bit.  There are some artificial meniscus materials being experimented with, but I don't think any are mainstream yet.  There is also injecting stem cells which grow into new meniscus, but that is also experimental, so costs $10K per knee (not covered by Medicare).

1 hour ago, pieman said:

lots of recent threads on here and elsewhere say meniscal repairs not required or useful in large number of cases... 

 

True, esp if the tear is not causing the joint to lock. Conservative treatment over a few months can work as well as surgery, and retain your meniscus which is essentially like a shock absorber in your knee.  Removing part of it (like I had) accelerates the onset of osteoarthritis (i.e. bone on bone action).

45 minutes ago, Supamau said:

That doesn't sound too good, think I'll be heading that direction too... 

How long was your rehab after the surgeries? How many months after only did you started running again?

I had my medial meniscus trimmed in 2012 (1/3rd removed - no choice maybe? as it was causing the joint to lock -but who knows, maybe with 6mths of being very careful it would have settled?).  Was back on bike riding @ 70% intensity for an hour in 6 days as OS said it was OK - big mistake.  Attempted running after 6 weeks, but the surgery triggered PFPS in both knees = start of a 5yr nightmare.

11 minutes ago, Supamau said:

OMG, that is the same thing i have, doctor says apparently this is very common and can happen to just about anyone. Some just don't realized it until get too painful. 

But getting back on the bike in 1-2 weeks sounds promising. 

Don't get back on bike in 1 week -  maybe 2 weeks or 3, and just gentle spinning then -  think movement to stimulate blood supply and synovial fluid, not exercise.  Just swim for a few weeks, with a pullbuoy so minimal kicking.  A year out of tris is better than permanent disability!   Folded over flap might mean no option but surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what mine looked like, see how it's flipped back on itself.

I ended up having a lot more done to my knee than expected (only found out the full extent at my follow-up appointment a week later), but I was still able to get on the trainer after 2 weeks, but with zero resistance.  Wouldn't have been as long a wait had it only been the tear he fixed.

 

KneeArthroscopy_Dean_160616_04.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..... or maybe take CN's advice rather than that of a shmuck (i.e. me ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

They can't replace it, only stitch it back together, which they usually only do in young people under 30yrs, and if the tear is in an area with good blood supply so it will slowly heal).  Else they just trim off and remove the torn bit.  

Actually, about two weeks ago my wife was watching an episode of RPA on 9play where they stitched a guys meniscus tear back in place.  I actually didn't know they're did that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

They can't replace it, only stitch it back together, which they usually only do in young people under 30yrs, and if the tear is in an area with good blood supply so it will slowly heal).  Else they just trim off and remove the torn bit.  There are some artificial meniscus materials being experimented with, but I don't think any are mainstream yet.  There is also injecting stem cells which grow into new meniscus, but that is also experimental, so costs $10K per knee (not covered by Medicare).

Don't get back on bike in 1 week -  maybe 2 weeks or 3, and just gentle spinning then -  think movement to stimulate blood supply and synovial fluid, not exercise.  Just swim for a few weeks, with a pullbuoy so minimal kicking.  A year out of tris is better than permanent disability!   Folded over flap might mean no option but surgery?

My missus showed this to me yesterday, never knew the meniscus can be replaced.

 

Probably should sit down with the doctor to discuss all the options available, would really want a way to avoid surgery. Not sure if there is a way to manipulate the folded flap back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To include a good news story on flap tear trims, I had a medial fkap tear trimmed approximately 1 year ago and can thank the surgeon for being able to run pain free again.

Prior to that, I have had ACL reconstructive surgery on both knees (including meniscus repairs and trims).

So good results do happen...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Supamau said:

My missus showed this to me yesterday, never knew the meniscus can be replaced.

 

Probably should sit down with the doctor to discuss all the options available, would really want a way to avoid surgery. Not sure if there is a way to manipulate the folded flap back? 

Jesus that is ugly!  You are right, it can be replaced if you can have a meniscus transplant from a dead person.  I've not heard of it in Oz but maybe it occurs?  You'd want to treat it with kid gloves for a while afterwards though.

34 minutes ago, trilobite said:

To include a good news story on flap tear trims, I had a medial fkap tear trimmed approximately 1 year ago and can thank the surgeon for being able to run pain free again.

Prior to that, I have had ACL reconstructive surgery on both knees (including meniscus repairs and trims).

So good results do happen...

Agree, my wife had a very successful medial meniscus trim from the same surgeon who did mine.  But no two are the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both mine done so long ago I can’t remember much of the detail. Probably 15 years ago. Really struggled with running before getting them done. 

Im now 45 and have done 5 IM, 70.3s, 100km ultras, and about 10 marathons since. Recently had the need to see a physio for some thing knee related and she suggested my knees are in good shape. Certainly feels better now than they did 15 years ago. 

As for the op itself. All I remember is walking out of the surgery later the same day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Jesus that is ugly!  You are right, it can be replaced if you can have a meniscus transplant from a dead person.  I've not heard of it in Oz but maybe it occurs?  You'd want to treat it with kid gloves for a while afterwards though.

Yeah, been surfing for it, only found a place in QLD which claims it does the replacement... New shock absorbers for the knees... hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shuffla said:

As for the op itself. All I remember is walking out of the surgery later the same day. 

I like the sound of that :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I walked (kind of, maybe limped) out, even with more than the meniscus tear being done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What shits me about the knee surgery thing is the largely unwarranted confidence which orthopedic surgeons convey to you about their trade, and their willingness to conduct an invasive procedure on the most fickle joint in the body .  I believe it is a lottery when they go in and fart about with cartilage, or kneecap alignment.  They probably don't.  I think the current research is moving in favour of less knee surgeries for cartilage tears, cartilage wear & PFPS, but they'd be reluctant as it means less $'s. And A-type triathletes are their own worst enemy (me included) in wanting a quick fix to get back to racing ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...