The Customer

Work place politics and millennials

On 01/04/2018 at 7:16 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Does your company do Myers Briggs?  I'm guessing he's INTF or INTJ if you wanted to google for advise on what ticks them off, what works etc.  My current company puts alot of training into understanding ourselves and those we work with.  Myers Briggs, used to do DISC (but don't have a qualified instructor inhouse at present), 5 disfunctions and lot of others.  The way the teams work with each other and within themselves is the best of any company I've seen and the growth and performance of the company is also the best of any I've seen.

The whole generational thing I find to be blown out, they are however more adaptable and understanding of disruptions to the business environments and some of the older players are still blindsided to what is happening.  There are some though that need to learn some basic diplomacy

Spent last week in Melb doing  a DISC course.

Quick update on my Ms Millennial, she was given a big project to do a couple of months ago and we all chipped in at the start to help her along a bit. Once she was up and running with it, she's been keeping her progress a bit of a secret to me and the rest of the Team. She's running dangerously close to the deadline but won't ask for help - client very concerned.

Anyhoo, I'd logged a few hours of work on the project earlier to help her out and I just noticed that she's deleted those hours from the job file

Doing this helps her keep her hours low on that job making it seem like she works faster than she actually does, plus, it makes me look like I did no work on that day.

This girl is 'quince-worthy'.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, The Customer said:

Doing this helps her keep her hours low on that job making it seem like she works faster than she actually does, plus, it makes me look like I did no work on that day.

Incorrect labour charging is instant dismissal at my work. 

Can you add those hours back to the log file?  I would be doing that, then having a quiet chat about her not ****ing with your hours on a job again!  (ok, I wouldn't do that as I'm a wuss, but you should).

The workplace denizens thread reminded me of this, but more relevant here.

We had a millennial female who got on FB at work and put up posts about how shit our organisation was, how she had nothing to do.....  One of our colleagues alerted the boss.

You probably won't be surprised to learn a few years later she ran as a mainstream party candidate in the State Election :lol:

17 hours ago, The Customer said:

Quick update on my Ms Millennial, she was given a big project to do a couple of months ago and we all chipped in at the start to help her along a bit. Once she was up and running with it, she's been keeping her progress a bit of a secret to me and the rest of the Team. She's running dangerously close to the deadline but won't ask for help - client very concerned.

Anyhoo, I'd logged a few hours of work on the project earlier to help her out and I just noticed that she's deleted those hours from the job file

confront her. Ask her where the hours have gone. It will be a good lesson for her. She is only young and clearly has no idea about teamwork, trust etc. 

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

confront her. Ask her where the hours have gone. It will be a good lesson for her. She is only young and clearly has no idea about teamwork, trust etc. 

And please wear a gopro or spycam when you do it...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Customer said:

Take a shit on her desk.

• Like 4

I'm going to mention the missing hours in front of the whole Team in a casual way. Watch the blood drain from her face. She took the day off yesterday to take her parents car shopping (for them, not her). She had to make sure they got the right one. LOL

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And are her parents enjoying their new Nissan Cube???

Was speaking to a head recruiter who has been in the industry for some time.

I asked her when I eventually retire. I'll probably do some part time work for a few years.

She seemed to think  there will be plenty to do assisting the millenials

Edited by Merv

I have such an issue with this term. You know it covers anybody who is currently aged between 22 and 37?? How can you possibly pass judgement on a group of people that range from a 36 year old Director of a Big Four Accounting Firm with three kids and a brand new grad straight out of uni? 

There's a whole load of us "millenials" doing pretty darn well, despite the economic sh*tshow and huge inter-generational inequality we inherited ta.

Edited by monkie

I don't know whether I posted this earlier, but I sat in on an interview with a young, bright-eyed Grad (I won't use the term "millennial" for the same reason that I don't want to be classified according to nothing more than when my parents "got busy") a couple of weeks ago.

This kid was a piece of work.

They demanded that the Client I work for issue them with a MacBook Air instead of bog-standard HP / IBM / Lenovo / whatever and also demanded half a day a week (paid) to continue their social media influencing. I asked to see the IG account and pointed out that my dog's IG account has more followers.

We won't be hiring them, but I feel for those that will!

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2018 at 5:39 PM, The Customer said:

I'm going to mention the missing hours in front of the whole Team in a casual way. Watch the blood drain from her face. She took the day off yesterday to take her parents car shopping (for them, not her). She had to make sure they got the right one. LOL

any updates on this TC?

I've just completed a couple weeks of going through resumes and interviews for EoI's for 23 roles in our area, to be filled from the couple hundred staff in another area that is massively downsizing. Most of the lower level staff that don't pick something up with us will lose their jobs.

I understand some of these folk are trying desperately to hang on to a job, but the lies in some of the resumes were disgusting. And all it took was one question in an interview to catch them out.

Then they get all shirty when you tell them they didn't get the job.

• Like 1

i hired one who was a pain in the ass as soon as she started. Wanted an upgraded pc. i granted this. She asked for a pay increase after he probation had finished. I said we will review her performance. She decided tis couldn't wait and sent a letter to the director. 

Then she decided she would work from home for 3 days during school holidays. I said she could work from home for 1 day and the rest was to be annual leave.  She then tried to book carers leave instead of annual leave. I said, no carers leave are if you child is sick, not for school holiday care. So, She then took the child to the doctors and sent me in a medical certificate.   Eventually she resigned and wanted to finish on the show day public holiday and be paid for it. I said no, you can finish the day before.  

glad to see the end of her. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've just completed a couple weeks of going through resumes and interviews for EoI's for 23 roles in our area, to be filled from the couple hundred staff in another area that is massively downsizing. Most of the lower level staff that don't pick something up with us will lose their jobs.

I understand some of these folk are trying desperately to hang on to a job, but the lies in some of the resumes were disgusting. And all it took was one question in an interview to catch them out.

Then they get all shirty when you tell them they didn't get the job.

we facebook them now to see what they are like. it tells you a lot about candidates. 

3 hours ago, Prince said:

we facebook them now to see what they are like. it tells you a lot about candidates. 

maybe they should do this for footballers as well.

• Like 1

I had a millennial reporting to me in a previous, actually I had two, they were like chalk and cheese. One was experienced, knowledgable but completely unmotivated and jaded beyond his years. He said that he 'just wanted to come to work and do his job', which translated to 'doing the bare minimum without being sacked'. However, he was punctual and diligent, just and unsociable miserable git, like a walking, talking Basset Hound.

The other one, was sociable, had quite a decent personality, was inexperienced and given a chance to shine. He blew that chance by being so entitled, wanting leave he had not accrued, taking time off without notice, turning up late and would not/could be told anything. Talked and wasted time endlessly, always fiddling with his phone, which got him a written warning after being told a few times. Any 'rules' at work were interpreted as a direct attack on him.   He asked for 3 days a week off, every week in our busiest month, I declined his request, stating that it would be better to take block leave so we can cover his stakeholders better. He threw his toys out of the pram and went to HR.

The sense of entitlement was just beyond staggering.  I terminated my contract early. This was a private sector company with a public sector client. The worst of both worlds.

On 20/09/2018 at 12:10 AM, Cat Lady said:

any updates on this TC?

Yeah, it's on on-going issue. Millennial-Girl is strictly 9 to 5. I've never seen her work a minutes unpaid overtime all year and yet she complains when she gets given smaller projects than the more senior members of the group who often work 10 and 11hr days just to get stuff done. I was working back late last Friday night  and needed to get my hands on a file to complete the project. When I went to the archive to retrieve the file, it wasn't there. I looked up who the person was who did that job and, no surprises, it was millennial-Girl. Apparently she told our Dept Head that she doesn't like it when I tell her how to do things, such as, archiving and filing. Therefore, she doesn't do it and has all her files sitting on her computer, not in the central archive. Makes it hard for others to work seamlessly and puts our work at risk should her computer crash. I almost hope her computer does crash beyond repair and that she loses all her files just so I can say I told you so. LOL.

4 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I meant to ask earlier, is she local?  (Assuming u r still in Bahrain)

I thought the same but isn't TC now on the UK?

UK now. Bahrain Millennial females are off the chart. My attempts at coaching a few of them for their first triathlon often ended in, "Don't tell me what to do!" (even though they were paying me to tell them what to do) 😂

Edited by The Customer
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Customer said:

I almost hope her computer does crash beyond repair and that she loses all her files just so I can say I told you so. LOL.

So, if late one night, her computer seemed to magically be swept off her desk, would that be considered it crashing???

On 24/09/2018 at 2:17 AM, The Customer said:

UK now. Bahrain Millennial females are off the chart. My attempts at coaching a few of them for their first triathlon often ended in, "Don't tell me what to do!" (even though they were paying me to tell them what to do) 😂

Enjoy mate. The trucial states are done.