Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Sanders v Frodo at Oceanside 70.3

Recommended Posts

The big guns.  Tipping Sanders will smash him.

Well will beat him over the line.

 

1 Sanders Lionel CAN (Canada) 2 Frodeno Jan DEU (Germany) 3 Reed Tim AUS (Australia) 4 Leiferman Chris USA (United States of America) 5 McMahon Brent CAN (Canada) 6 Appleton Sam AUS (Australia) 7 Gambles Joe AUS (Australia) 8 Thomas Jesse USA (United States of America) 9 Amorelli Igor BRA (Brazil) 10 McNamee David GBR (United Kingdom) 11 Symonds Jeff CAN (Canada)

 

Others

http://ap.ironman.com/~/media/f5f0c7c0657e418da56895fed997a772/2018 ironman 70 3 oceanside pro start list.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d expect Tim reed and Brent McMahon to be up there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree. Should be a great race. Shame a few other big hitters won’t be too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appleton has been in great form lately.  Also add in McNamee after kona...this is a stacked race    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Jan running along Noosa parade the other day. He looked like he was going 3min k pace. My mate ran past in the other direction. I told him to turn around and go with him. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, pieman said:

Yeah I wasnt for a moment implying it would be a clean race...

triathlon isn't a clean sport? Oh shucks, better take my rose coloured glasses off :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, willie said:

triathlon isn't a clean sport? Oh shucks, better take my rose coloured glasses off :(

Not with all these cyclists coming over... tri would be clean as a whistle if not for them.. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, willie said:

triathlon isn't a clean sport? Oh shucks, better take my rose coloured glasses off :(

 

20 minutes ago, pieman said:

Not with all these cyclists coming over... tri would be clean as a whistle if not for them.. 🤔

It was clean when Australia was at the top of the heap. It's all these drug taking Euro's & Americans that are ruining the sport for the hard working, clean, Australians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

... clean, Australians.

Clean ?

We’ve just been sprung scratching our balls on global TV. :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2018 at 2:26 PM, Peter said:

The big guns.  Tipping Sanders will smash him.

Well will beat him over the line.

 

1 Sanders Lionel CAN (Canada) 2 Frodeno Jan DEU (Germany) 3 Reed Tim AUS (Australia) 4 Leiferman Chris USA (United States of America) 5 McMahon Brent CAN (Canada) 6 Appleton Sam AUS (Australia) 7 Gambles Joe AUS (Australia) 8 Thomas Jesse USA (United States of America) 9 Amorelli Igor BRA (Brazil) 10 McNamee David GBR (United Kingdom) 11 Symonds Jeff CAN (Canada)

 

Others

http://ap.ironman.com/~/media/f5f0c7c0657e418da56895fed997a772/2018 ironman 70 3 oceanside pro start list.pdf

Incorrect. Frodo smashed Sanders by 3min. Rode faster than him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty impressive for Frodeno. Quicker than Sanders over every leg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aussie Tim Reed in 3rd also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Super impressive by Jan. 

He has been doing a lot of zwift riding lately according to his Strava. He and Lionel (The Colonel) decent triathletes but never be soldiers

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jan over two minutes faster out of the water and onto the bike than Lionel. Slightly faster bike split. Put another 75 seconds into Sanders on the run. 

Frodo is still the benchmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Jan over two minutes faster out of the water and onto the bike than Lionel. Slightly faster bike split. Put another 75 seconds into Sanders on the run. 

Frodo is still the benchmark.

No surprise with the swim. But big surprise with the bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Peter said:

No surprise with the swim. But big surprise with the bike.

Not really. Jan is a beast. Remember that when having a bad day last year in Kona he still got off the bike in 4th - just behind the 3 “uberbikers” ahead. Jan has had some awesome bike splits since going long course. Witness 2016 Roth. In fact he more than comfortably held his own against Seb when he won Kona in 2015 & 16.  I think most people seem to ignore Jan’s bike prowess because of his overall brilliance and the thrall that “uberbikers” have over many triathlon junkies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Not really. Jan is a beast. Remember that when having a bad day last year in Kona he still got off the bike in 4th - just behind the 3 “uberbikers” ahead. Jan has had some awesome bike splits since going long course. Witness 2016 Roth. In fact he more than comfortably held his own against Seb when he won Kona in 2015 & 16.  I think most people seem to ignore Jan’s bike prowess because of his overall brilliance and the thrall that “uberbikers” have over many triathlon junkies. 

Plus he has put a lot of time into the windtunnel.. I still cant see that Sanders bow legged pedaling can be as aerodynamic as it could be.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

Plus he has put a lot of time into the windtunnel.. I still cant see that Sanders bow legged pedaling can be as aerodynamic as it could be.....?

Interesting point. Sanders appears to put a lot of training time into swimming technique, but from what I can see does frack all to fix appalling (as in painful to watch) running and to a lesser extent cycling form. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Interesting point. Sanders appears to put a lot of training time into swimming technique, but from what I can see does frack all to fix appalling (as in painful to watch) running and to a lesser extent cycling form. 

He came second in Kona.  He will top 3 again this year.  I hear he gets up at 4am to train

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Interesting point. Sanders appears to put a lot of training time into swimming technique, but from what I can see does frack all to fix appalling (as in painful to watch) running and to a lesser extent cycling form. 

To be honest, this baffles me with A LOT of professional/elite athletes... Obviously sometimes you cant be perfect AKA Rinny/Crowie, but surely you'd want to be the best you can be as far as efficiency and effectiveness? I know Pete Jacobs did a lot of work on his run technique years ago and I reckon others could benefit also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

He came second in Kona.  He will top 3 again this year.  I hear he gets up at 4am to train

Apropos of nothing.

To say he has talent and dedication would come as a surprise to exactly no one. He seems highly intelligent, motivated and obsessed with details. That’s what make my point even more interesting. Given that intelligence, commitment and obsession why is he leaving so much undone in terms of run and (to a lesser extent) bike technique? Running like Quasimodo for the first 16 miles in Kona must have cost him 30 seconds a mile in the last 10 miles when he had nothing left in the tank. It makes no sense at all.

Edited by Andrew #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×