Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Gomez v Bergs. Ironman Cairns

Yeah, imtalk were talking about that this week.  I reckon of Gomez was just gonna do around to qual he wouldn't have picked a championship race.  Guessing he'll be going hard.

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Yeah, imtalk were talking about that this week.  I reckon of Gomez was just gonna do around to qual he wouldn't have picked a championship race.  Guessing he'll be going hard.

He's a smart dude and will do what he needs to win... if that's digging deep to get it done because someone is pushing him or that's just getting out and putting it in cruise mode. I saw an interview with Gomez and he basically said with ironman there is no point in destroying yourself if you don't have to, a win is a win and records arent important to him. 

11 minutes ago, willie said:

He's a smart dude and will do what he needs to win... if that's digging deep to get it done because someone is pushing him or that's just getting out and putting it in cruise mode. I saw an interview with Gomez and he basically said with ironman there is no point in destroying yourself if you don't have to, a win is a win and records arent important to him. 

Love it. 

The win and you're in isn't this year for Kona is it?  Or has that started?

Next year.  But he won last years 70.3 world champs so only had to validate.  

22 minutes ago, goughy said:

Next year.  But he won last years 70.3 world champs so only had to validate.  

Cool. 

I'm looking forward to taking Gomez on, & stoked he chose this race to debut for Ironman. 

His biggest challenge is going to be getting through the bike. We saw what happened in Bahrain when he became isolated & was put up against the ropes. He was racing for $1million and couldn't get the job done, but he can win 70.3 Worlds pretty easily when he has lots of other good riders around him to get him through. 

It should make for a great race. 

• Like 6

I reckon Brownlee will win his first IM whenever he does that, other than Kona. Not sure if he could win that at his first go.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hey_burgs said:

His biggest challenge is going to be getting through the bike. We saw what happened in Bahrain when he became isolated & was put up against the ropes. He was racing for $1million and couldn't get the job done, but he can win 70.3 Worlds pretty easily when he has lots of other good riders around him to get him through

To be honest I didn't know he had ever struggled in long course...

57 minutes ago, zed said:

I reckon Brownlee will win his first IM whenever he does that, other than Kona. Not sure if he could win that at his first go.

I wouldnt be surprised if he DNFs his first one...

Hell wanna at least walk to the end to validate his Kona slot.

14 minutes ago, goughy said:

Hell wanna at least walk to the end to validate his Kona slot.

Maybe his brother could carry him. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, willie said:

To be honest I didn't know he had ever struggled in long course...

Well he hadn't really, until the race where he had the $$$ win in triathlon at stake. On paper, and compared to what he had done in the distance, it should have been easy. I don't know if there was anything else going on, illness etc., but I imagine for a big win like that he would have had everyone opportunity to be ready for it.

http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/bahrain/results.aspx 

How is Wurf swimming? Seeing you ride away from Wurf last year was highlight of my race. This year i will be interested in how how the ride unfolds - you two hold the key to that. In any case - given your run improvements I’ll back you in over the marathon over Gomez.......

10 minutes ago, Bosco said:

How is Wurf swimming? Seeing you ride away from Wurf last year was highlight of my race. This year i will be interested in how how the ride unfolds - you two hold the key to that. In any case - given your run improvements I’ll back you in over the marathon over Gomez.......

He only hammered the bike because he knew his foot couldn’t hold up for the run. 

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Thanks for the vote! 

I've got no idea how Wurf's swimming is, the guy is a bit of a wildcard in the swim

I’m going to enjoy watching the marathon over a few beers post my own 70.3 race. Bring it!

On 3/27/2018 at 5:07 PM, Peter said:

He only hammered the bike because he knew his foot couldn’t hold up for the run. 

I thought it was because he lost his nutrition?

6 hours ago, zed said:

I thought it was because he lost his nutrition?

Listened to a podcast with him a while back, I think the foot issue was the year before when he went as an age grouper.

he new the foot wouldn't hold up for the run, but Kerrison wanted him to go for the experience of the place.

He was definitely injured. He said it either in the Babbitt podcast or Imtalk 

Flash back to 2007 and that Alexander guy raced ironman Australia to step up to ironman. Used it as a learning  experience. Didn't do anything special in April but come October he debuted ok a Kona the. Had a good few years there after it too. 

Gomez has a pretty similar kind of lead upwith a few more palmares again. Similar kind d of question about his bikini g ability like Alexander had. Frodo first up also had some questions about his ability on the bike and this included into his first Kona experience after being exposed a bit on the bike in Frankfurt.

These guys learn quick.

Are the questions about his bikini related to being exposed a bit on the bike? 

Just now, A2K said:

Are the questions about his bikini related to being exposed a bit on the bike? 

Is he likely to wear a bikini on the bike?

I still prefer Bergs' outfits.