Sign in to follow this  
Clyde

Swimming in Sydney CBD

Can anyone recommend the best place to do some laps in the morning in Sydney CBD? (as a one-off)

Boy Charlton Pool. On the waters edge. Can't beat an outdoor view with a view. Maybe an easy job across the bridge to North Sydney pool. Another fantastic view.

Where are you staying.......

Staying near Hyde Park.

But happy to travel.

Am just looking for somewhere to swim where it's not going to be 10 to a lane and sharing with walkers.

ABC (Boyd chartlon) & North Sydney are your best bet - both salt water and fast. Cook & Philip could be handy locationwise, but chlorine and can have slow peeps

• Like 1

Or for something entirely different. One of the mornings... get up early....ie: 05:00. cat a 5:30 ferry to Manly - Arrive at 6:00. Enjoy the morning stroll (400M) to the southern end of Manly beach and do both the 6:30 and 7:00 swims with the Bold and The Beautiful.

Open water swim of about 750M each way. If you do both sessions you'll get about 2.8/2.9KM in. Then have a leisure ferry trip back to the city. Best way to start the day.

Not only do you have the best swim going around with several hundred others....you have the best scenic trip going around.

It's worth it.... May sound like a lot of trouble.....but you'll be telling all your friends about it when you get back home..... trust me!!!

PS: You'll be back in the city on the 08:00am ferry by 08:30 or a little earlier if you catch the fast ferry.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 5

Hey - is the B&B 6h30 swim still on on a Sunday in winter? Was thinking of popping up for a swim tomorrow - need to do some open water swimming in my wettie before worlds I guess...

• Like 1

there's even a 5:30am group if you like swimming in pitch black, I see them every day I am out for a run at that time (they wear waterproof blinking headlights)

Edited by Rog
  • Like 1

ABC pool doesnt open until 1st September, if you are there before then, and staying near hyde park, your best bet is Cook + Phillip which is indoor

I really can't get myself to any water in the morning. Are there any groups that swim in the afternoon/evening?

23 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I really can't get myself to any water in the morning. Are there any groups that swim in the afternoon/evening?

If the difficulty is a case of motivation rather than logistics, just get yourself down to B&B for one day. That may well be all you need to make it a regular (or at least semi-regular) thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

If the difficulty is a case of motivation rather than logistics, just get yourself down to B&B for one day. That may well be all you need to make it a regular (or at least semi-regular) thing.

This.

When I went to Melbourne, I would have been in the same boat had I not had the need to get just 1 more day in to OWS all of July. I got up at 4:40, caught a tram then a train, then a 15 minute walk in 8 degrees to get to the boat harbour.

I enjoyed it so much I went again 2 days later.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rog said:

there's even a 5:30am group if you like swimming in pitch black, I see them every day I am out for a run at that time (they wear waterproof blinking headlights)

Some mornings you swim out into the blackness to discover the sparkle of phosphorescence as your hand moves through the water below you. It's just magical.

I do enjoy the feeling of swimming from the night, through the first light of dawn and seeing the sun emerge over the horizon to a fine day. And seeing the shapes of the sea floor and the marine life slowly revealed by the increasing light.

Such a lovely time to swim.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Not quite. Partly a feel of "OMG I can't  get in the cold water now as I'm cold" and "my back can't handle being in that position so early". Mostly the latter.