japay1

650 vs 700 wheels for TT Bike

Hi all,

I recently purchased a second-hand trek speed series concept 7 second hand XS size which has 650 wheels. When I brought it the previous owner stated "Trek only produce XS Frame with 650 wheels otherwise impossible to produce correct geoemetry," which I'm not discounting, however I'm 167cm tall F, so pretty average height, was wondering if it would be possible to to put 700 rims and tyres on at all, or would that put me at too much risk of toe-overlap what not. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience or what not.

Thanks

No they wont fit. There will not be enough clearance between the tyre and frame. 

Dont worry about wanting or needing 700's. The best part is that most people get rid of their 650's cheap so you can pick up race wheels cheap. 

Downside is spares are hard to come by and on race day the neutral support hardly carry anything for 650's 

• Thanks 1

I'm same height as you and ride an XS Argon E114, which has 700s.  But I would have been happy with 650s. If I have it right, in MTBs and gravel bikes 650s have become popular (again?), although there seems to be different variants of 650. 

There was a pair of 650 Hed trispokes going really cheap not long ago ...

You guys couldn't fit on a small? At 167cm you can't have been far off.

3 hours ago, longshot said:

I'm same height as you and ride an XS Argon E114, which has 700s.  But I would have been happy with 650s. If I have it right, in MTBs and gravel bikes 650s have become popular (again?), although there seems to be different variants of 650. 

There was a pair of 650 Hed trispokes going really cheap not long ago ...

26in MTB wheels are a bit different to 650's. My old race bike has a 650c front wheel and 700c rear. It's not UCI compliant because of that but I can use it in Tri's (if I could still ride). 

Roxii's right about picking up cheap wheels. They don't appear very often, but when they do, they are cheap.

I'm 166 and ride a focus with 700.

But I'd say a 650 suited frame wouldnt fit 700 wheels - brakes wouldnt be in the right place! 

You probably wouldn't fit the wheel inside the forks (rear or front) and if you changed the front forks to suit, it would change the whole geometry of the bike, and it'd probably be a shocking ride.

There’s nothing wrong with 650s and I personally think XS bikes are better off having them...

• Like 1