Jump to content
Peter

Thank God for race directors like EMO - Broken Marathon

Recommended Posts

Plus he's a top bloke from the couple of times I've spoken to him and I can't fault the way EE look after athletes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, monkie said:

Plus he's a top bloke from the couple of times I've spoken to him and I can't fault the way EE look after athletes.

And whenever Ive rung EE up, everyone I have spoken to has been helpful & friendly

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason he is good. Not a stickup prick race director

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a look at the broken marathon. Do you think it will be easier or harder than a normal marathon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Limited said:

Just had a look at the broken marathon. Do you think it will be easier or harder than a normal marathon 

Was literally just thinking the same... I reckon it will hurt more as I would smash myself through it harder...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in theory it will be easier (if that's possible) due to you can spend 20minutes each hour feeding and rehydrate. And that's gotta help towards the end. 

But getting started each time would be hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harder. I’ve done the local running festival which is 21.1km, 10km and 5km. So 36km all up. Ended up walking the 5km. 

Maybe I didn’t pace it well.  But that 10-20min rest needs to be done well or you end up in bad shape at the start of he next leg. 

Keep moving I think is key. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shuffla said:

Harder. I’ve done the local running festival which is 21.1km, 10km and 5km. So 36km all up. Ended up walking the 5km. 

Maybe I didn’t pace it well.  But that 10-20min rest needs to be done well or you end up in bad shape at the start of he next leg. 

Keep moving I think is key. 

 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Definitely keep moving...

As in walking around for the 20 minutes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peter said:

As in walking around for the 20 minutes?

I used to run track. Sometimes I'd do 1500 first thing in the AM, 400 heats, 800, 400 final. If I was lazy and sat down I got in trouble... I was mostly walking and doing some light running. The minute you stop you're in trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walking for 20 minutes?

I would have thought walking for 2 minutes, then resting for 10-12 minutes before walking again may be a better option (not that I have any idea, but whenever I’ve done long cycling trips I find a 5 minute spin in the granny gear the best way to get back into it after a long stop).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, surfer101 said:

And whenever Ive rung EE up, everyone I have spoken to has been helpful & friendly

Agreed, it's not just Emo, the whole team are great to deal with.

He does a pretty good job of leading them though :thumbsup:.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes he is a good bloke!

disclaimer: I was paid to say this.

 

Yamba not on the Calendar this season, last Ultimate Distance will be the flat and fast course of Capital Coast a new 2/60/15 format.

 

In Broken Marathon I reckon we could see 2hrs go at the wayside. Correct strategy and use of recovery will determine the Weak from the Warrior.

 

I have just raised the arch on the door so emo can get his head out of the office

Edited by Sebee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 3:53 PM, Sebee said:

I have just raised the arch on the door so emo can get his head out of the office

 

again? :lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, nealo said:

So anyone doing the Broken Marathon?

Nope. doing SBR x 3 though.. that lake is gonna be COLD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, monkie said:

Nope. doing SBR x 3 though.. that lake is gonna be COLD!

That second swim in the first round, brr!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Broken Marathon seems simliar to the Long Run down here in June. Essentially it's 7 Parkruns done on different courses throughout a single day. You run the first, drive to the next and repeat. Quite a few will run a couple of extra kms after each so as to clock up 42.2 km in the day. Getting going again is really tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nealo said:

That second swim in the first round, brr!

 

it's ok mate, you're fat enough to handle it :P:lol: 

how are the new shoes BTW? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willie said:

it's ok mate, you're fat enough to handle it :P:lol: 

how are the new shoes BTW? 

No Swimming for me!

One 28km run and they were gold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Evil Guru said:

The Broken Marathon seems simliar to the Long Run down here in June. Essentially it's 7 Parkruns done on different courses throughout a single day. You run the first, drive to the next and repeat. Quite a few will run a couple of extra kms after each so as to clock up 42.2 km in the day. Getting going again is really tough.

Where is your one Evil?  I know of one out here in the Gippsland / Bass Coast at that time but hadn't heard of any others around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just give it a go. (If you're going to give it a go don't read anymore)

Sydney Mara 2 weeks ago 4:08

Today 4:04

The text to my Wife with 8km to go read "Brutal just brutal"

I went low carb from Monday after drawing a line in the sand and that's probably not the best thing to do leading in to a Marathon. It was hot and it was windy. Heading out out for the last 8km at 1pm in the heat of the day was challenging. We started at 8am, I'm thinking starting at 7am would have been better.

In case anyone doesn't know the format is 6 legs of varying distances beginning on the hour that add up to a Marathon.

So 8am is 8km, 9am is 7km, 10am is 6.1km, 11am is 6.1km, 12pm is 7km and finishing with 12pm and 8km with no cutoff. The gap to the next leg is obviously dependant on your speed, some get a decent gap and I believe one person on the 5th leg finished the 7km only to turn around and have to head out on the 8km last leg.

8km Good

7km Good, warm

6.1km Wind coming up very warm

6.1km Very windy, massive head wind, very hot and no noticeable tail wind

7km I'm toast, still windy but not as bad

8km I'm depleted of all carbs, running on empty

 

Completely went out too hard and the mate I had to get through his first Marathon last week had to get me through while I got the point of talking gibberish according to him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I only do these things for medals. 

This year from theft to right

11km, Half Mara, Marathon, Marathon

Its a keyring not a medal 😴

17B2CB3E-684E-403F-AC45-363E5E1FBBA8.thumb.jpeg.18680199ef32e8d457a468b3479af4b0.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nealo said:

Oh and I only do these things for medals. 

This year from theft to right

11km, Half Mara, Marathon, Marathon

Its a keyring not a medal 😴

17B2CB3E-684E-403F-AC45-363E5E1FBBA8.thumb.jpeg.18680199ef32e8d457a468b3479af4b0.jpeg

I got a few in the cupboard you can have if you dont want to do the actual event...lol.

Well done on above, good read.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×