Sign in to follow this  
Limited

Stages Power Meter

Is anyone using the new Stages power meter? Good/Bad/Ugly?

I'm looking to get started with left side only then maybe upgrade to dual sided at a later date. I know this will cost me more in the long run but it is what it is.

Does anyone swap crank arms regularly? I would install on my tri bike which I do most of my training/riding on but would like the option to swap to my road bike

Any advice would be great

Not using the dual sided one currently but was swapping the single crank between bikes for a while and was not too much of a hassle.. had also previously swapped quarq PM crankset between bikes regularly and also easy enough.. 

In the end just got pms for each bike as I'm lazy and don't have time for any faffing

• Like 1

I have a quarq and stages. 

Had issues on and off with the quarq. 

No issues with stages. 

Heard stories about battery going flat fast but it's been about 4 months and no replacement of the battery. Mind you, they are $4 and would take 20 seconds. 

I'm toying with buying one for the commuter bike as I use training peaks and the more data the better. 

• Like 1

I had an older model stages with out any problems.

Interestingly I noticed Specialized are now selling bikes with power meters already fitted. Their own internal brand.

I wonder if this will become a standard feature on bikes in the future. They are certainly getting cheaper.

I've got a Gen 2 stages after they replaced my Gen1. Basically, the Gen 1 wasn't watertight and riding in the wet caused it to disharge the battery immediately and then refuse to work until it dried out. Gen 2 has been completely trouble free. Worth noting that Stages and Garmin watches like the 910XT and the 920XT have a long standing connectivity issue. Something to do with the strength of the receiver/transmitter - basically makes them unusable together due to constant signal dropouts. Garmin bike computers have no such problem.

I can swap my stages from TT bike to Roadie, but don't do it regularly. No problems when I have though.

Incidentally, I have a 172.5mm dura ace Gen 2 stages that I'd like to swap for a 165mm one if anyone is up for that? Happy to include the chainset as part of the swap (50/34 rings, but I have a set of 39/53 ones).

Always used single sided stages. The old battery covers use to cause me issues, but just used black electrical tape to keep cover & battery tight to ensure perfect contact. New battery covers have a better turning lock & never had an issue. 

Edited by imyoungmatt

I have the gen 2 stages and no issues

I run ultegra on two bikes (different versions so colours don't match) and swap cranks at least 2x a month, easy task, just have to remember the sequence. Takes 5 min going slowly, 3 tools (something to remove dust cap, allen key to loosen crak, screw driver to lift looking mechanism, slide of crank arm)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm currently running 105 but will most likely go with the ultegra left side so I can upgrade later 

Sounds like no issues at all swapping. Do you use a torque wrench when swapping crank arms?

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I had an older model stages with out any problems.

Interestingly I noticed Specialized are now selling bikes with power meters already fitted. Their own internal brand.

I wonder if this will become a standard feature on bikes in the future. They are certainly getting cheaper.

Top of the line Trinity comes with a Quarq. 

1 hour ago, Limited said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm currently running 105 but will most likely go with the ultegra left side so I can upgrade later 

Sounds like no issues at all swapping. Do you use a torque wrench when swapping crank arms?

to the torque wrench, not for this job

i do for anything carbon, or could crush

For a crank arm why upgrade? other than looks/weight. Me if i had 105 would stay with 105 and spend the difference on learning how to use the Powermeter or a better head unit. Like above the Garmin 910xt doesn't work with Stages if on wrist

I do like the look of the Vector 3 but currently can only see them for about $899

I can get a 10% discount on the stages through the tri club, so the 105 is about $650 and the ultegra for $720

52 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

For a crank arm why upgrade? other than looks/weight. Me if i had 105 would stay with 105 and spend the difference on learning how to use the Powermeter or a better head unit. Like above the Garmin 910xt doesn't work with Stages if on wrist

essentially just for the OCD in me wanting matching cranks (that wouldn't be matching for a period until I upgrade to dual sided) I've also already got a 520 and fenix 5. I know there was an issue with the garmin/stages on the tribars but I think that has been fixed in the new stages models

I have had the Powertap single side pedal for about 2 years.  No issues at all.  Works well.  Was also going to go both sides eventually, but why? As long as results are consistent it's all good.  

1 hour ago, Limited said:

I do like the look of the Vector 3 but currently can only see them for about $899

I can get a 10% discount on the stages through the tri club, so the 105 is about $650 and the ultegra for $720

Yep and add the cost if you need change cranks later ?

Also research stages drop outs with head units ,  they might have changed that with their product versions.

If you have BUPA private health you can get 20% of the vectors, not sure on other private funds

2 hours ago, Limited said:

I know there was an issue with the garmin/stages on the tribars but I think that has been fixed in the new stages models

Nope, not fixed as stages say it's a Garmin issue and Garmin say stages issue.  Basically of you use an "out-in-front" mount for your edge, you'll get drop outs. Very annoying when trying to do an FTP test!  I flipped my mount around the otherway so that there was no metal between the stages and the edge and all problems resolved. I don't have issues with my 920...

5 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Nope, not fixed as stages say it's a Garmin issue and Garmin say stages issue.  Basically of you use an "out-in-front" mount for your edge, you'll get drop outs. Very annoying when trying to do an FTP test!  I flipped my mount around the otherway so that there was no metal between the stages and the edge and all problems resolved. I don't have issues with my 920...

Never had this issue with edge 500 or 520..i know some say it's an issue with forerunner 910 on arm in aero position but again if never had it..

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Never had this issue with edge 500 or 520..i know some say it's an issue with forerunner 910 on arm in aero position but again if never had it..

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Guess I’ll get one and see how it goes. When did you get yours bogfrog 

Guest FFF1077
6 hours ago, imyoungmatt said:

If you like Etap 😡

Preaching at the wrong dude. 

I'd be happy with a bike that is carbon..... LOL 

13 hours ago, Limited said:

Thanks. I think there is a newer model. 

Gen 3 is what's coming on the latest version of Shimano cranks. i.e. 9100. The pod looks identical to the Gen 2 thats on the 9000.

The stages is the easiest to swap between bikes. I have a near new 175mm Ultegra one I can sell if anyone is interested. Building a new cross bike and it won’t fit. 

So I bit the bullet and got the ultegra L stages 165mm - Managed to remove the old crank and install the new one easily enough. But then found out the shimano 105 direct mount brake stick out too far from the frame (apparently this is a common issue). So now I have 2 options sell the power meter and get the garmin vector 3 or upgrade/swap the rear brake. Currently thinking about the TRP 850.

Managed to remove the rear brake to test the power meter on the dumb trainer. It appears Trainer Road and Zwift over estimated my killawasps using virtual power :blow:

On the plus side experienced no drop outs during the short trial. 

I don't understand what you mean about the brake. 

Can you post a pic? 

some aero bikes with brakes under BB wont work with stages PM as they hit the meter on way past...  Scott foil is one i was warned about 

What frame is it? 

I had a madone that did the same thing. Took some serious fenagling to get it right. 

BMC TM02 - The rear brake mounts under the Bottom bracket. Not near my bike at the moment, but here is a photo from slowtwit. 

the pod of the stages power meter sits on the crank arm where the  brake arm comes out from the frame.

The service people at stages gave me a few suggestions for types of brakes. (ee brakes cost more than a wheel)

16bzdwm.jpg