Cranky

Trainer Road indoor cycle programs vs Training Peaks

So I've used a TP OD Tri program before. Should I just recycle it or use one from Trainer Road? 

I haven't used TR before but those that I've spoken to like it. 

What's the difference? 

I won't be running for I don't know how long as I'm in a moon boot until my ATFL heals, but I'll be swimming (with no feet) and biking with it taped.

Seeing I go to swim squad, at this point a whole tri program seems a bit of a waste. I'd like to just work on my bike atm.

Thoughts? 

34 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Have a break.  Let your body recover.  Tri will still be here once you're body is fixed.

She's taking  break from running - isn't that enough?  If the physio says she can ride, let her ride...  I know I would be!

Sorry, can't offer any advice Cranky, but wondering how on earth you have managed to race 2 tris with a foot that requires a moonboot?!?  Was it not painful?  No extra damage caused?

36 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Have a break.  Let your body recover.  Tri will still be here once you're body is fixed.

I did. I had Monday Tuesday off! The world just isn't right if I'm not training. I need it for my mental sanity.

• Like 1

Trainer road program is pretty good - I used the IM one for Port Mac training a couple of years ago. You’ll get plenty of cycling done.

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

She's taking  break from running - isn't that enough?  If the physio says she can ride, let her ride...  I know I would be!

Sorry, can't offer any advice Cranky, but wondering how on earth you have managed to race 2 tris with a foot that requires a moonboot?!?  Was it not painful?  No extra damage caused?

fair call.   I just cant see the point of using something and putting tape over it to help unload it while it heals.  I just figure let it heal, Cranky finished her last qual race and looks to have enough points to make the team.  Give it a few weeks rest so come september its 100% and she can smash the training 100% in the lead up.  

again crankys call and she has already said she needs to train for her sanity which I also understand.  Everyone has to assess their own priorities, if hers is mental state and that delays the healing process but that is more important then that's her call to make.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

When I first did it, I turned up to the physio with the ultrasound report and said, "This is what I've done (grade 3 ATFL tear) but I must race x and y on these dates. What can you do for me?"

He was great. Gave me exercises to do to make me more stable on that foot, blah blah blah and because I had only torn one ligament, the taping did the job that the ligament would have done. About 14 days out from Coffs (4 weeks post injury) I started running on a rebounder and then gradually moved to running on the road (my first run being 2 minutes!). Anyway I just did EVERYTHING he said to the letter and it worked out fine. ... and no, it didn't hurt. At times it was a little uncomfortable, but I pulled up from Coffs with a pain of 2/10 and Mooloolaba with a 0/10 - which makes moving into the moon boot even harder, mentally. It does feel 'floppy' when I'm not booted or strapped though. Not really any pain though.   ... and the little bits of pain that I felt along the way were actually from the bones at the front of the ankle join rubbing against each other as the joint wasn't stable. No pain from the actual ligament area.

So the plan now is to get my bike super fast (LOL - well maybe just a bit better than it is now) so then when I get back into running, I can hopefully focus some more on that and my swimming (because my kick suffered big time in the 6 weeks off too).

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

... Give it a few weeks rest so come september its 100% and she can smash the training 100% in the lead up...  

"rest" - an evil word.  Unload the area, sure, but complete rest is rarely the answer (except for some injuries of course).  When you rest, not only are you unloading the injured area, but you are also unloading everything else.  When you eventually get back to it, you are unfit, but most of all the other muscles, tendons and ligaments have detrained and lost strength.  Then you often get another injury due to this.

Paraphrased from my physio and it rings true to me

8 hours ago, Cranky said:

So I've used a TP OD Tri program before. Should I just recycle it or use one from Trainer Road? 

What's the difference? 

I won't be running for I don't know how long as I'm in a moon boot until my ATFL heals, but I'll be swimming (with no feet) and biking with it taped.

Seeing I go to swim squad, at this point a whole tri program seems a bit of a waste. I'd like to just work on my bike atm.

Thoughts? 

My opinion is they're different things.  Although both offer programs one is a training platform and one is an online log..

Trainer road is a program/app that guides you through the workout showing you power cadence hr etc.. as far as I'm aware Training peaks is just the program and then a workout log.? 

I like trainer road but i have a smart trainer so can use more functions but previously used it with powermeter and dumb trainer. They booth work so comes down to your preferences for training visuals.. 

14 hours ago, Cranky said:

The world just isn't right if I'm not training. I need it for my mental sanity.

That seems like something that needs attending to.  One day training won't be there and it might not be your choice.  A crutch is a crutch, whether you think it has healthy side effects or not.

7 hours ago, Stikman said:

That seems like something that needs attending to.  One day training won't be there and it might not be your choice.  A crutch is a crutch, whether you think it has healthy side effects or not.

This post screams at me. Really applies to my recent injury. 

Have to agree with stickman here. 

I have realised that once I have scratched my itch in the sport I will be stuffed. So I have spent some time while injured finding other things that give me similar feels. Those that I have as friends on Faceache and Insta-athlete will know what I mean.... #cloudlife :D

Worth thinking about Cranky. Cheers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stikman said:

Yeah agree. But I worry when I'm not training that I'm going to get slow and fat and not be any good at world's... it's easier to keep fitness than lose it come back. It hurts me when I lose it and have to work hard to come back. Like when my foot was out of action for 4 weeks with no kicking in the pool I thought I'd come back really strong because my arms would be getting stronger. Turns out my swim went to shit cause I lost my swim kick fitness, then I felt shitty after every squad session. I even cried in the pool during a sprint session! A bit embarrassing, but that's how bad I felt! Lucky everyone has wet eyes! I can be as hard as nails and as sooky as a baby!

3 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

This post screams at me. Really applies to my recent injury. 

Have to agree with stickman here. 

I have realised that once I have scratched my itch in the sport I will be stuffed. So I have spent some time while injured finding other things that give me similar feels. Those that I have as friends on Faceache and Insta-athlete will know what I mean.... #cloudlife :D

Worth thinking about Cranky. Cheers. 

Yeah

I'm sure I'll find another obsession when the time comes. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pieman said:

My opinion is they're different things.  Although both offer programs one is a training platform and one is an online log..

Trainer road is a program/app that guides you through the workout showing you power cadence hr etc.. as far as I'm aware Training peaks is just the program and then a workout log.? 

I like trainer road but i have a smart trainer so can use more functions but previously used it with powermeter and dumb trainer. They booth work so comes down to your preferences for training visuals.. 

Sorry. I wasn't clear.  Are the training plans on TR any better than the ones on TP?

9 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Sorry. I wasn't clear.  Are the training plans on TR any better than the ones on TP?

I've never used the training plans on TP. But on Trainerroad use don't have to think, Especially if you have a smart trainer, Once you have picked a program just log in, start pedaling and follow the blue line. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Not sure what your TP one was but I've recently done a TR Olympic distance program. Think it was 4 sessions a week with 2 x 60to75 min hard sessions and 1 short recovery and one longer aerobic/ steady session..  

Depending on whether doing base build or peak phase depends on what the sessions are but usually simpler than the TP workout you posted a while back..  shorter vo2 session and longer sweet spot and as got closer to event the longer the reps to mimic race..

If only focused on riding I'd do the 40km tt program but TR does include swim and run I  its plans and i think do try and balance the workload..

You should really know how to train based on various programs  you've already used which would largely be based on similar things so not sure if you just think TR is a golden bullet because "others like it"...? 

I bloody love Trainer Road. and using the high volume full distance plan took me from managing a "standalone" 180km at LCW in 7:12 to a 6:03 bike split at IMNZ. 

That might just be having the structure and following it rather than the plan itself but it seemed to work nicely.

On 14 March 2018 at 8:32 AM, Cranky said:

What's the difference? 

Thoughts? 

I'm not even going to read through all the other responses. I glance at the first few and somebody said have a rest. Great idea. If you must do something for sanity, try some yoga or the like. Just let the instructor know before hand of your restriction. 

Swimmings good but are you really resting your ATFL? 

On 15/03/2018 at 6:56 AM, pieman said:

Not sure what your TP one was but I've recently done a TR Olympic distance program. Think it was 4 sessions a week with 2 x 60to75 min hard sessions and 1 short recovery and one longer aerobic/ steady session..  

Depending on whether doing base build or peak phase depends on what the sessions are but usually simpler than the TP workout you posted a while back..  shorter vo2 session and longer sweet spot and as got closer to event the longer the reps to mimic race..

If only focused on riding I'd do the 40km tt program but TR does include swim and run I  its plans and i think do try and balance the workload..

You should really know how to train based on various programs  you've already used which would largely be based on similar things so not sure if you just think TR is a golden bullet because "others like it"...? 

I just don't want to have to think. If I sat down I could probably plan my own stuff but I'm a bit restricted for time and also if I'm following a program I don't have to second guess myself. Just do what it says and that's the end of it. Training peaks was fine and I'll be happy with it unless someone says trainer road is better.

14 hours ago, Greyman said:

Swimmings good but are you really resting your ATFL? 

I tape my foot and I use a pull buoy and don't kick.

Also with Training Peaks you buy each program separately. With trainer Road it looks like you pay $99 a year and you get to pick what you want. Is that true? Do you get more than one program for that price? For example if I buy one program that last 3 months, do I get to pick a different program at the end of the 3 months?

Edited by Cranky

6 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Also with Training Peaks you buy each program separately. With trainer Road it looks like you pay $99 a year and you get to pick what you want. Is that true? Do you get more than one program for that price? For example if I buy one program that last 3 months, do I get to pick a different program at the end of the 3 months?

Yes.  I started with Olympic tri program but switched to 40km tt program during peak as i thought the workouts more closely replicated a triathlon (longer and steady)

Do you have a smart trainer or do you just run workouts off your garmin?  I think TP can send straight to your watch to run off so that makes it easier. But TR and smart trainer is better.. you could sign up for a month on TR and try it and  add the workouts you like to your garmin if that's how you train but thats a bit of work and you're lazy.. 

Edited by pieman

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Yes.  I started with Olympic tri program but switched to 40km tt program during peak as i thought the workouts more closely replicated a triathlon (longer and steady)

Do you have a smart trainer or do you just run workouts off your garmin?  I think TP can send straight to your watch to run off so that makes it easier. But TR and smart trainer is better.. you could sign up for a month on TR and try it and  add the workouts you like to your garmin if that's how you train but thats a bit of work and you're lazy.. 

I just have a cheapo trainer and a power meter, and just follow the workouts from my Garmin.

If I sign up for a year do I get unlimited programs for a year?

And yes! I am lazy! But copying the month of the Garmin is easier than working them out myself!

Edited by Cranky

For TrainerRoad, yes - unless its now changed from when I first subscribed.

TR and Wahoo kickr is my setup - all but one of my weekly rides are on the trainer.

• Like 1

I was using just a dumb trainer and TR, it estimated power which was good enough for me. 

Yes unlimted programs per year. Plus a huge catalogue of workouts to select from 

ive followed a few different programs but every now and then would just add an extra work out in or do some workouts in between different blocks 

ps crank just sent you a pm

Edited by Limited
  • Like 1

Keep it simple and use the TP one again then its all on your Garmin..

I have a free trial code for TR if you want it but i think it will complicate your life with sll the options and trying to sync to Garmin and TP for logging.. 

If you use TR on phone app you won't be able to be in here at same time...

7 hours ago, pieman said:

Keep it simple and use the TP one again then its all on your Garmin..

I have a free trial code for TR if you want it but i think it will complicate your life with sll the options and trying to sync to Garmin and TP for logging.. 

If you use TR on phone app you won't be able to be in here at same time...

Lol. Limited just gave me a trial month so I'm on. 

Oooo. Didn't think about the Trannie problem. That's OK. I'll get another phone!

Interested to know why you chose the Sweet Spot base program over one of the Triathlon or 40km TT programs, or one of the build or specialty programs? Given you already have a strong base of fitness..?

I have 3x free one month trials to give away if anybody wants them... if you do then just send me a PM with First Name, Last Name and Email and I'll invite you.