RunBrettRun

Marathons

Alright, for the next 5 weeks I'm no longer a triathlete...

Boston marathon is on Monday 16th April....

I've never had a crack at a marathon before, talk to me about how you handled a marathon vs tris and what struggles were the hardest on raceday.   

• Like 1

I started to write a serious reply to this and then I remembered you are you... you paced a marathon last year?

Do you mean this is the first time you've had a crack to try and be as fast as you can?

Watch Patriots Day with Mark Wahlberg. That should make you run faster.

I watched it the day before Ironman Texas & had a PB Marathon. I really enjoyed the movie. Sure it had a bit of Hollywood beat up, but its still a good movie. 

My friend lived in Boston for a few years & he was saying the locals love the race & the support on the course is next level. 

I'm very jealous and would love to do this race. 

#bostonstrong

Yeah this is a serious question and yeah its the first time I'm having a proper crack at a stand alone marathon under my own steam.

I expect its a completely different beast to ironman and triathlon running in general so just interested to hear other peoples thoughts on it.

Bored yes I've seen the movie, I remember them saying there are two things to do on patriots day, watch the marathon or go to the baseball, we have tickets to the baseball already so ticking both boxes.

• Like 1

I have taken most my running tips off this site from you........

It hurts and hurts a lot more than “expected”. Getting used to Marathon pace and effort involved took me a little while to adjust. I found a few longer tempo sessions than in Ironman mode was useful - even if just getting the mind and body to relax at that pace. 

Mentally adjusting to an increase in running kilometres but potentially lower overall work or hours in a week - I made a few mistakes as tried to keep bike and swim volume similar. 

Lose a couple of extra kilo’s - there is no bike before hand!

I have also found all my stand alone marathons to be harder to recover from than an Ironman. This was my biggest surprise and learning....

Good luck - very jealous 

33 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yeah this is a serious question and yeah its the first time I'm having a proper crack at a stand alone marathon under my own steam.

I expect its a completely different beast to ironman and triathlon running in general so just interested to hear other peoples thoughts on it.

Bored yes I've seen the movie, I remember them saying there are two things to do on patriots day, watch the marathon or go to the baseball, we have tickets to the baseball already so ticking both boxes.

Mate, it's circa 2x your best 70.3 run day at same effort.

Close proxy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses and Matt I figured that was going to be pretty close to the mark for the time.

I guess I am a little scared and excited by this event.  While I have my training sorted and my goal firmly set I am interested in how people have found the race itself.  I know it will be hard and it should be hard cause it's a race.  But Im sure the struggles will be very different from any triathlon I've ever done.

Take the patient approach...and go for the even or negative split, with a ramp in perceived effort through that final 12K or so as you hold pace, rather than fall apart and pay big-time for being overly-exuberant early on.

Economise your performance to run your best marathon IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJK said:

Take the patient approach...and go for the even or negative split, with a ramp in perceived effort through that final 12K or so as you hold pace, rather than fall apart and pay big-time for being overly-exuberant early on.

Economise your performance to run your best marathon IMO.

I do most of my runs this way and think that will definitely be a good plan. I'm definitely not a dick at the start sprinting off well below race pace.  I should be starting with people who had the same qualifying time, which might mean I end up in no mans land and not with a group trying to run the same pace as me.

I'm doing my first in June other than IM back in 2014. I'm putting together my own program just cobbled together from a few different programs. Probably aim to go from 70km/week to around 100, maybe a little more? Won't be swimming or biking much, so should be able to clock up decent mileage.

4 minutes ago, zed said:

I'm doing my first in June other than IM back in 2014. I'm putting together my own program just cobbled together from a few different programs. Probably aim to go from 70km/week to around 100, maybe a little more? Won't be swimming or biking much, so should be able to clock up decent mileage.

That’s a big ramp up in KM in a short space of time... regardless of swimming and biking not happening, your body won’t be able to handle the extra load caused by impact. If you want some help give me a shout...

It all really starts at about the 30km mark, unless you get it wrong in which case it all pretty much ends at the 30km mark. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, lawman said:

Don't you have to qualify for Boston with a marathon time?

yeah I paced a group at gold coast last year which got me a qualifying time.  This will be my first crack

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

That’s a big ramp up in KM in a short space of time... regardless of swimming and biking not happening, your body won’t be able to handle the extra load caused by impact. If you want some help give me a shout...

cheers mate. Might call on you for some advice at some point. 

A lot of my running is easy/recovery running and I'm finding that easy on the body and the mind. I think if I was doing a lot of hard kms I'd struggle both physically and mentally. 

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I've only run one marathon. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard, compared to an IM.

I'm not one to be giving you advice, just wanted to put in my 2c worth :)

19 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I've only run one marathon. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard, compared to an IM.

I'm not one to be giving you advice, just wanted to put in my 2c worth :)

what did you find hard about it?

Lose the beard, and move to Kenya for a few weeks. Accept anything the coach offers.

It's been a long time since I ran one, but I found the hardest thing was to not go too hard too early. I don't mean at the start, but at 20km, when you're still feeling good. You have to remember you are only halfway.

Thanks Ex, I dont want to do a heap of marathons so I really wanna make this one count :)  Maybe I should have started training for it a few months ago and not starting today 

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

yeah I paced a group at gold coast last year which got me a qualifying time.  This will be my first crack

#respect

33 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Thanks Ex, I dont want to do a heap of marathons so I really wanna make this one count :)  Maybe I should have started training for it a few months ago and not starting today 

I think a 37 at Moo is a good start.  There is a bit of base there😊

Don't run too many kms in training. Better to go a bit under rather than over train.

Watch for the flat spot, how you run that will determine your overall time.

I'll watch out for the flat spot.  Boston is a bit of a rolling course which hopefully will break up the monotony a bit.  I can't stand flat courses.

1 minute ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'll watch out for the flat spot.  Boston is a bit of a rolling course which hopefully will break up the monotony a bit.  I can't stand flat courses.

I meant in terms of pace. I always have a period in a marathon where I don't feel great and my pace starts to slip a bit. How I run this bit usually determines how I go overall.

Oh and as a pacer once said to me "the last 10kms are your own private hell". I think he just wanted me to shut up.