Sign in to follow this  
superboy

Is there an "easier" IM to qualify for Kona?

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Didn't the AIS tell Macca he was too big to win Kona?

I doubt it.  Macca is only about 75kg.  So not exactly a 85kg of Marino.

Also macca won the second by tactics.  Probably wasn't the best athlete on the day. (yes I know he was the best because he won, but he really shouldn't have. ) 

1 hour ago, AP said:

A guy from Longreach with not a hill in sight for 100km and he qualified at Port - no excuses

There is a hill about 95k from Longreach :P I guess he's not a tiger. :lol: It's on the Jundah rd to Stonehenge. It's a nice long gradual climb. Perfect for staying aero on the TT bars & climbing. It would make for a solid training day from Longreach esp if the winds is blowing.

P.S there is no way in hell I would ride on that road, snakes, cattle, roo shooters, caravans, road trains etc

1 hour ago, Wronggenes said:

Of course once they achieve their goal experience tells us many no longer compete or pay coaching fees so there is an inherent conflict of interest.

2XdTl5kkEl5mOD3WFCHrU0p6XnsP5-TozDAWCotv6_rQFw3HGT_ImEiL-FQ-JF8EzI6XMmSDDvciWi6ixsSHqidvNy9wNSKLvUL4HB0rA_z0gW33vF3bV9RATVmCUF99N6xE_73RHD1rK9yZ4S01eIM4kfI_YOqW7nV7haVDJ2E5GkTXiQTu-7JyWLg7jZaZWY_E5yW48qVRVhQ3mF8rcqjR7CLpIuJ8iOY_LU2Uu4o5HbEW-cCKEq69crRIGSp9NVlsiZfJcsBaeAikwBNIboXQFn5MVTBR1Dhq6HV-igDAZB0yFUQ_n6h6eX0bzQssv_TS8rSjp7d5OP8TvpQG7Dx6LWB9-WdR4jJhFvOIbMwl8jayouticiZ9FUowZfRHa8uprhjrVPU_7VRQASC0Z8y6YJsFhJ3N7crjDWpLJC28HrimsgZEGnciloSmVzLeejoihmI5RZLk4mWEloXfwdw5XMvXRkbSlrKSVtLr6XdKQW2pK1zMkIjSizz7XxgkCIZCUoh38ra-utzqOmqdpljnYc-OspwGr_rMCCC0U1XVXPuCH-7XtxhiwRbhN0DUhBD-5P0-Y5F3b3kcxHpenNn3bDIGohZyjXBAKFM=s480-no

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I doubt it.  Macca is only about 75kg.  So not exactly a 85kg of Marino.

Also macca won the second by tactics.  Probably wasn't the best athlete on the day. (yes I know he was the best because he won, but he really shouldn't have. ) 

I think he was 80kg when he won his first Kona title. But I guess you need to take into consideration height as well. He is pretty tall, so perhaps similar body fat ratio to some of the lighter/shorter guys i.e it's all relative. 

I read his autobiography, I think he did mention something about the AIS plus others suggesting he couldn't win Kona because of his size, but the guys seems a bit odd with a few issues (chips on both shoulders), prone to a bit of exaggeration and embellishment. So who knows. I can't imagine AIS saying something as unprofessional and speculative as "he can never win Kona". 

I think if it was purely marathon running, then yeah too big to compete with the likes of Kipochoge, 5'4 and 53kg dripping wet. 

Edited by zed

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Pretty much why a big guy can't win Kona. 

Marino has the fastest ironman I think. 

Puts in the work. 

Cant win Kona. 

Jan Frodeno GER Roth 2016 07:35:39
Tim Don GBR Brasil 2017 07:40:23
Andreas Raelert GER Roth 2011 07:41:33
Lionel Sanders CAN Arizona 2016 07:44:29
Marino Vanhoenacker BEL Klagenfurt 2011 07:45:58
Brent McMahon CAN Brazil 2016 07:46:10
Sebastian Kienle GER Cozumel 2017 07:48:11
Ivan Rana ESP Klagenfurt 2014 07:48:43
Marino Vanhoenacker BEL Klagenfurt 2015 07:48:45
Patrick Nilsson SWE Copenhagen 2016 07:49:18
Anthony Costes FRA Barcelona 2017 07:49:19
Jan Frodeno GER Frankfurt 2015

07:49:48

22 minutes ago, TimG said:

Sebastian Kienle GER Cozumel 2017 07:48:11

Must have been the one day a year it doesn't blow a gale in Cozumel. This race is a non wetsuit & non disc wheel event. That's a very impressive time on that course. The roads are also dead in spots (they may have been fixed up since I did it in 2011)

1 hour ago, zed said:

I think he was 80kg when he won his first Kona title. But I guess you need to take into consideration height as well. He is pretty tall, so perhaps similar body fat ratio to some of the lighter/shorter guys i.e it's all relative. 

I

I was with Macca and Luke m in Kona of the may 07 before he won later that year. And he was 75kg then. I'm 5 11. And he was shorter than me. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2018 at 4:40 PM, Peter said:

I was with Macca and Luke m in Kona of the may 07 before he won later that year. And he was 75kg then. I'm 5 11. And he was shorter than me. 

He’s my height (183cm) and I don’t think he was ever below 77kgs. we had almost identical setups on the bike way back when (kestrel days)... I should know I rode one of his back then. I just sucked up the fact my saddle should’ve been 3mm higher than his :S :lol: 

IMWA is just after Kona and has 65 slots. After the shark and bushfire last year and the changes to the swim course numbers could be down this year.