Sign in to follow this  
superboy

Is there an "easier" IM to qualify for Kona?

Is there easier IM around the world to qualify for Kona such as due to distance/location etc

Is there analysis on IM events on fastest and slowest qualifying times?

Prepare and do an ironman that falls 2 weeks before or after Kona as all the guns have already qualified and will be in Kona doing prep or recovering. 

It will still be hard. But if you are 10-15 minutes off, you'll stand a better chance. 

Edited by Peter
Bloody autocorrect changed my words to rubbish

10 hours ago, superboy said:

Is there easier IM around the world to qualify for Kona such as due to distance/location etc

Is there analysis on IM events on fastest and slowest qualifying times?

It depends, whats your strength? 

How do you handle heat?

Tell us a bit about yourself

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

It depends, whats your strength? 

How do you handle heat?

Tell us a bit about yourself

Are you after his tinder profile?

If he has his strengths and weaknesses about tri on his tinder profile then he is no chance of qualifying for kona.

There are 2 basic options

Go to the IM where no one else goes to, look at total competitor numbers

Go to the new IMs where the slots are given out to promote the race and lower places will get the slot - eg first year of Melbourne

19 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Go to the new IMs where the slots are given out to promote the race and lower places will get the slot - eg first year of Melbourne

How many slots did they get first year?

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

easiest way to get to kona - lottery, ebay auction

you just need the money and buy your entry $30 -50k will get you a charity slot

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/04/ironman-foundation-ebay-auction.aspx

$10k CEO challenge if you are above avg finisher. They don't check if you're a CEO they just take the cash & grin

43 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

This is also a good option.

Maryland in the USA might be a good option this year. The race has been cut short or cancelled due to bad weather the last couple of years. This tends to scare a few people off. If numbers are down this year they might throw a couple of extra Kona spots to try & boost numbers. It's also a late September races so most of the fast guys will already have spots & be on the island getting ready for Kona.

IM Taiwan the weekend before Kona? F**king hot apparently. Only 700 racing last year. What AG are you superboy and what's your 70.3/IM pb?

Edited by zed

Scrap Taiwan. Just read some race reports! High 30s 95% humidity, hills, zero shade... makes Kona sound like a game of kiss chase.

Edited by zed

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Pretty morning ch do an ironman that falls 2 weeks before or after Kona as all the guns have already qualified and will be in Kona doing prep or recovering. 

It will still be hard. But if you are 10-15 minutes off, you'll stand a better chance. 

Yeah, every age group has it's guns, when they've all qualified (or knocked back their spots) it opens up the field to the second tier

If you're an hour off but you still believe you can improve - train properly for another year - most athletes would be amazed how much talent they uncover with a year of consistent  work (and belief) - many have already convinced themselves that they would never be good enough - they're right - once you no longer believe - it will not happen

It's like an athlete on a training plan who is always researching new articles and methods on the internet - if you're looking outside of your plan for more answers you may as well abandon that plan - belief is the foundation of success B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

How many slots did they get first year?

It was higher being the Asia Pac champs as well, don't know the actual numbers but it was quite high.  Found one old race report where 11 spots were issued to one age category

17 minutes ago, zed said:

Scrap Taiwan. Just read some race reports! High 30s 95% humidity, hills, zero shade... makes Kona sound like a game of kiss chase.

Keep in mind Taiwan had qualifying spots - someone managed the conditions and took those spots - it really doesn't matter what the conditions are - someone always prepares well physically and mentally and goes there and takes the spots B)

8 minutes ago, AP said:

Keep in mind Taiwan had qualifying spots - someone managed the conditions and took those spots - it really doesn't matter what the conditions are - someone always prepares well physically and mentally and goes there and takes the spots B)

Yeah but a skinny guy from tassie in October would be better to do a cold hilly race than a hot flat one.  

But a cairns athlete would be better doing a hot course in October than a cold race in Europe.  

One year doing busso ironman I rode past 2 guys in jackets and leg warmers. It was a 30c day. I made a comment and they were both from Darwin and said they were freezing. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Yeah but a skinny guy from tassie in October would be better to do a cold hilly race than a hot flat one.  

But a cairns athlete would be better doing a hot course in October than a cold race in Europe.  

One year doing busso ironman I rode past 2 guys in jackets and leg warmers. It was a 30c day. I made a comment and they were both from Darwin and said they were freezing. 

Yeah I was playing in a touch footy comp and the Malaysian team were all walking round in jackets, it was around 30C and we're all sweating our boxes off!

I coached a girl who lived in Launceston to three Hawaii Ironman races and she did well - no excuses

A guy from Longreach with not a hill in sight for 100km and he qualified at Port - no excuses

Some skinny guys from Tassie have big hearts B)

Wasn't she a pro?  But racing age group?  Pretty sure she owned a bike shop or running shop or so,etching. 

But yes. There are exceptions to every rule. 

For example I can't imagine you'd send someone to ironman wales in 5c when you could send them to ironman Maryland or something similar. 

11 minutes ago, AP said:

I coached a girl who lived in Launceston to three Hawaii Ironman races and she did well - no excuses

A guy from Longreach with not a hill in sight for 100km and he qualified at Port - no excuses

Some skinny guys from Tassie have big hearts B)

They would be the exception though? I'd imagine if you got 10 Euros that had never trained/raced in the heat and put them up against 10 Australians of a similar calibre, the Australians would dominate in a hot race. 

Part of dealing with the heat is someone's physique and their resilience, but a huge part is acclimatising to the conditions. I remember playing rugby in the UK at the end of the season as summer approached and all the players are wilting in the "heat" - 22C...

Edited by zed

16 minutes ago, zed said:

They would be the exception though? I'd imagine if you got 10 Euros that had never trained/raced in the heat and put them up against 10 Australians of a similar calibre, the Australians would dominate in a hot race. 

Part of dealing with the heat is someone's physique and their resilience, but a huge part is acclimatising to the conditions. I remember playing rugby in the UK at the end of the season as summer approached and all the players are wilting in the "heat" - 22C...

Pretty much why a big guy can't win Kona. 

Marino has the fastest ironman I think. 

Puts in the work. 

Cant win Kona. 

48 minutes ago, AP said:

Yeah, every age group has it's guns, when they've all qualified (or knocked back their spots) it opens up the field to the second tier

If you're an hour off but you still believe you can improve - train properly for another year - most athletes would be amazed how much talent they uncover with a year of consistent  work (and belief) - many have already convinced themselves that they would never be good enough - they're right - once you no longer believe - it will not happen

It's like an athlete on a training plan who is always researching new articles and methods on the internet - if you're looking outside of your plan for more answers you may as well abandon that plan - belief is the foundation of success B)

I find it hard to believe that a coach wouldn’t coach their athletes to choose events which match their strengths or benefit from timing of the event if their goal is to get to Kona.

Managing those aspects feeds into belief, it is easier to believe if you know you are racing an event that suits you rather than merely being told to “train another year”.

Of course once they achieve their goal experience tells us many no longer compete or pay coaching fees so there is an inherent conflict of interest.

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Didn't the AIS tell Macca he was too big to win Kona?

I doubt it.  Macca is only about 75kg.  So not exactly a 85kg of Marino.

Also macca won the second by tactics.  Probably wasn't the best athlete on the day. (yes I know he was the best because he won, but he really shouldn't have. ) 

1 hour ago, AP said:

There is a hill about 95k from Longreach :P I guess he's not a tiger. :lol: It's on the Jundah rd to Stonehenge. It's a nice long gradual climb. Perfect for staying aero on the TT bars & climbing. It would make for a solid training day from Longreach esp if the winds is blowing.

P.S there is no way in hell I would ride on that road, snakes, cattle, roo shooters, caravans, road trains etc

1 hour ago, Wronggenes said:

Of course once they achieve their goal experience tells us many no longer compete or pay coaching fees so there is an inherent conflict of interest.

2XdTl5kkEl5mOD3WFCHrU0p6XnsP5-TozDAWCotv6_rQFw3HGT_ImEiL-FQ-JF8EzI6XMmSDDvciWi6ixsSHqidvNy9wNSKLvUL4HB0rA_z0gW33vF3bV9RATVmCUF99N6xE_73RHD1rK9yZ4S01eIM4kfI_YOqW7nV7haVDJ2E5GkTXiQTu-7JyWLg7jZaZWY_E5yW48qVRVhQ3mF8rcqjR7CLpIuJ8iOY_LU2Uu4o5HbEW-cCKEq69crRIGSp9NVlsiZfJcsBaeAikwBNIboXQFn5MVTBR1Dhq6HV-igDAZB0yFUQ_n6h6eX0bzQssv_TS8rSjp7d5OP8TvpQG7Dx6LWB9-WdR4jJhFvOIbMwl8jayouticiZ9FUowZfRHa8uprhjrVPU_7VRQASC0Z8y6YJsFhJ3N7crjDWpLJC28HrimsgZEGnciloSmVzLeejoihmI5RZLk4mWEloXfwdw5XMvXRkbSlrKSVtLr6XdKQW2pK1zMkIjSizz7XxgkCIZCUoh38ra-utzqOmqdpljnYc-OspwGr_rMCCC0U1XVXPuCH-7XtxhiwRbhN0DUhBD-5P0-Y5F3b3kcxHpenNn3bDIGohZyjXBAKFM=s480-no

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I doubt it.  Macca is only about 75kg.  So not exactly a 85kg of Marino.

Also macca won the second by tactics.  Probably wasn't the best athlete on the day. (yes I know he was the best because he won, but he really shouldn't have. ) 

I think he was 80kg when he won his first Kona title. But I guess you need to take into consideration height as well. He is pretty tall, so perhaps similar body fat ratio to some of the lighter/shorter guys i.e it's all relative. 

I read his autobiography, I think he did mention something about the AIS plus others suggesting he couldn't win Kona because of his size, but the guys seems a bit odd with a few issues (chips on both shoulders), prone to a bit of exaggeration and embellishment. So who knows. I can't imagine AIS saying something as unprofessional and speculative as "he can never win Kona". 

I think if it was purely marathon running, then yeah too big to compete with the likes of Kipochoge, 5'4 and 53kg dripping wet. 

Edited by zed

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Pretty much why a big guy can't win Kona. 

Marino has the fastest ironman I think. 

Puts in the work. 

Cant win Kona. 

Jan Frodeno GER Roth 2016 07:35:39
Tim Don GBR Brasil 2017 07:40:23
Andreas Raelert GER Roth 2011 07:41:33
Lionel Sanders CAN Arizona 2016 07:44:29
Marino Vanhoenacker BEL Klagenfurt 2011 07:45:58
Brent McMahon CAN Brazil 2016 07:46:10
Sebastian Kienle GER Cozumel 2017 07:48:11
Ivan Rana ESP Klagenfurt 2014 07:48:43
Marino Vanhoenacker BEL Klagenfurt 2015 07:48:45
Patrick Nilsson SWE Copenhagen 2016 07:49:18
Anthony Costes FRA Barcelona 2017 07:49:19
Jan Frodeno GER Frankfurt 2015

07:49:48

22 minutes ago, TimG said:

Sebastian Kienle GER Cozumel 2017 07:48:11

Must have been the one day a year it doesn't blow a gale in Cozumel. This race is a non wetsuit & non disc wheel event. That's a very impressive time on that course. The roads are also dead in spots (they may have been fixed up since I did it in 2011)

1 hour ago, zed said:

I think he was 80kg when he won his first Kona title. But I guess you need to take into consideration height as well. He is pretty tall, so perhaps similar body fat ratio to some of the lighter/shorter guys i.e it's all relative. 

I

I was with Macca and Luke m in Kona of the may 07 before he won later that year. And he was 75kg then. I'm 5 11. And he was shorter than me. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2018 at 4:40 PM, Peter said:

I was with Macca and Luke m in Kona of the may 07 before he won later that year. And he was 75kg then. I'm 5 11. And he was shorter than me. 

He’s my height (183cm) and I don’t think he was ever below 77kgs. we had almost identical setups on the bike way back when (kestrel days)... I should know I rode one of his back then. I just sucked up the fact my saddle should’ve been 3mm higher than his :S :lol: 

IMWA is just after Kona and has 65 slots. After the shark and bushfire last year and the changes to the swim course numbers could be down this year.