Peter

Hoka one one (teach me)

Okay. So I broke my big toe. The podiatry expert has said I need a shoe that will roll front to back due to my big toe now fused. 

Anyway. 

What model is the long running neutral shoe. 

And a racing flat 

in hoka one one. 

Just now, Bored@work said:

Ring Willie. He will sort you out.

I am not buying my first pair online. 

After I have tried them on, I will then. But not first pair. 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am not buying my first pair online. 

After I have tried them on, I will then. But not first pair. 

Yup try them on,  the sizing is whack. I'm normally 8.5US, my Hokas are 10.5! I had the Stinsons, which are heavy, weren't great to run in, but did the job i.e looked after my calves. I then went to Clifton's for my long training runs, lighter and heaps better. Same weight as Asics Noosas.  Ran more like a traditional runner. I'm on my 2nd pair.  I also bought the Tracers to race in, but they're crap. Light, but don't feel great to run in. I'll probably give them away. This was the old model, the newer Tracers may be better.

Edited by zed

Thanks Zed.  What's I'm after.  Going to a running shop tomorrow to buy some but don't want to be told one thing from a school kid that doesn't run.

I'll look at the Cliftons first.

P

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Thanks Zed.  What's I'm after.  Going to a running shop tomorrow to buy some but don't want to be told one thing from a school kid that doesn't run.

I'll look at the Cliftons first.

P

Actually the Clifton 4s are heavier than the old ones. I have both pairs and the Clifton 3s are better. But there's a new model out called the Napali which is quite similar to the Clifton 3.

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/gear/rs/hoka-one-one-napali-first-look/

Ring Willie and ask him to send a few pairs to you or go to athletes foot then ring Willie and order them off him.

Tracer is the racing flat.  Not sure about the other models.

• Like 1

Was interested in getting some Tracers, tried them on at Mooloolaba, very narrow. And i dont even have a very wide foot.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ring Willie and ask him to send a few pairs to you or go to athletes foot then ring Willie and order them off him.

Tracer is the racing flat.  Not sure about the other models.

^^^^ this. I have been buying shoes of him for the last 2 years. No problems at all. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Okay. So I broke my big toe. The podiatry expert has said I need a shoe that will roll front to back due to my big toe now fused. 

Anyway. 

What model is the long running neutral shoe. 

And a racing flat 

in hoka one one. 

If u want the right roll, pay attention to the rocker placement of the hokas. They differ in different models, and make a big difference.  It's stated on the shoe info on the Hoka website, so do ur research first

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 3 pairs.

Clifton 3, which I find quite narrow but better since I use elastic laces and miss the middle eyelets.  Better for shorter runs.

Ahari wide, which I find great but they are a 'closed' show, so not sure how they'd cope with oz heat but i like them a lot.

Speedgoat II, wide. Trail shoe which has the right amount of give for pavement and nice grip for trail.

Only issue is for me that in the last few weeks, i've been getting blisters. hard to imagine it's shoe related as I've had them all for a while. ordered some double skin socks and Engo plasters yesterday.

No issues, with injuries of calves though. I'm a fan but I find the range confusing.

• Like 1

Peter 

They will initially feel ****ed. 

Give them time. They are fantastic at preserving the lower legs and feet. 

Hope you find a good shoe 

I went with the new Bondi Wide. A bit heavier than the Cliftons, and have less drop from heal to toe. So far they have been great.

1 minute ago, asmithaxe said:

I went with the new Bondi Wide. A bit heavier than the Cliftons, and have less drop from heal to toe. So far they have been great.

Yep. That's what I got. Will run soon 

17 hours ago, AA7 said:

Was interested in getting some Tracers, tried them on at Mooloolaba, very narrow. And i dont even have a very wide foot.

Yeah I got em cheap as they were the old model, feel very odd and super narrow. I think the new models are better?

21 hours ago, Turts said:

If u want the right roll, pay attention to the rocker placement of the hokas. They differ in different models, and make a big difference.  It's stated on the shoe info on the Hoka website, so do ur research first

good advice.... also just because the rocker is in one spot one model doesn't mean it will be the same in the next. Hoka change things up A LOT. 

The tracer is a bit different now and next iteration will be as well. It's about the the only Hoka I would wear personally (I love road feedback when I run, anything to cushy kills me!)

I bought a pair and tried to like them, but just couldn't find them comfortable.

If you have a dodgy calf, or especially achilles, the rocker might not be the best thing for you, and be aware that the heel lift is quite low (~4mm?).

I found Hoka's were great coming back from my hip surgery, and even after breaking my collarbone, as the spongy cushioning stopped most of the 'jarring' that I was getting in other shoes.

The only catch was that I got used to them so they are now my main shoe.  I like the Bondi's but think that getting to your local store to try a few pairs on is probably a good idea.  Run a few steps in each to ensure that the bend in the toe box isn't going to impact on your big toe.

Might cost you a few more dollars from your local store but it's probably worth it.  Then if you want to order your future shoes from Willie go for it, everybody wins.

14 hours ago, CEM said:

I bought a pair and tried to like them, but just couldn't find them comfortable.

If you have a dodgy calf, or especially achilles, the rocker might not be the best thing for you, and be aware that the heel lift is quite low (~4mm?).

A pair of what?

I actually found a Hoka shoe quite useful when you are in a moon boot. Evens you up so can walk lopsided.   During that time though i develop a mark over foot due to narrowness of them.  

2 hours ago, zed said:

A pair of what?

Clifton, v3 I think it was.

On a more important note, what is the correct pronunciation of the name?

Is it  Hoka as in Chocka or Hoka as in Hoe-kah

And is One-One pronounced  1-1  or Onay-Onay

17 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I understand Cliftons and Bondis are Hokas neutral road trainer offering - what’s the difference between them?

The name 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roxii said:

Thanks Andrew Messick. 

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

I understand Cliftons and Bondis are Hokas neutral road trainer offering - what’s the difference between them?

There may be other differences, but the Clifton is a bit lighter, but the Bondi has a smaller drop (4mm) from heal to toe.

13 hours ago, Go Easy said:

I found Hoka's were great coming back from my hip surgery, and even after breaking my collarbone, as the spongy cushioning stopped most of the 'jarring' that I was getting in other shoes.

The only catch was that I got used to them so they are now my main shoe.  I like the Bondi's but think that getting to your local store to try a few pairs on is probably a good idea.  Run a few steps in each to ensure that the bend in the toe box isn't going to impact on your big toe.

Might cost you a few more dollars from your local store but it's probably worth it.  Then if you want to order your future shoes from Willie go for it, everybody wins.

I couldn't find anyone carrying the wide versions of the Bondi and Clifton here in NQ. If you order from The Athletes Foot online, delivery is free, and you can try them on at home and return to a store for full refund if they don't suit.

3 hours ago, roxii said:

Hoka Onay Onay according to Plucky but then he's probably had the corporate chip surgery anyway. :lol:

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Hoka Onay Onay according to Plucky but then he's probably had the corporate chip surgery anyway. :lol:

Definitely onay onay

4 hours ago, Tyno said:

Mocha one ohnay

With a twist in a bamboo cup.