Youngy2

Garmin 735 Dead

My Garmin 735 I bought from Pushy's just died today; one month over the 12 month Garmin warranty of course.

It was in perfect condition, never dropped, scratched etc.

It looks like it has filled with water during a short pool swim.

I watched a story about the ACCC Consumer Guarantee laws on "The Checkout" a few months ago, and from what I recall, the law would pretty much guarantee that i can get a refund, repair or replacement as it would be totally reasonable for this watch to be functional far in excess of 13 months.

Has anyone had any experience with pulling the ACCC card with a supplier where they want to just refer back to the offered warranty?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

My Garmin 735 I bought from Pushy's just died today; one month over the 12 month Garmin warranty of course.

It was in perfect condition, never dropped, scratched etc.

It looks like it has filled with water during a short pool swim.

I watched a story about the ACCC Consumer Guarantee laws on "The Checkout" a few months ago, and from what I recall, the law would pretty much guarantee that i can get a refund, repair or replacement as it would be totally reasonable for this watch to be functional far in excess of 13 months.

Has anyone had any experience with pulling the ACCC card with a supplier where they want to just refer back to the offered warranty?

Zed is your man...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Not for sporting goods, but I did with a hot water system that was just over warranty. Got myself a new one delivered within 24 hours.

Post a very disappointed at the crap garmin which died one month out of warranty on their Facebook page.😄 Garmin Australia - I note a few people have complained about products and they get a please private message response.  

Australian Consumer Law means the warranty limit is unimportant. The device is "warrantied" for as long as is reasonable. Contact them directly and I bet they'll replace it.

• Like 1

Edit to add: I know this because of run ins with Apple and more importantly when my 920 broke 14 months after I bought it they replaced it without any difficulty.

I'm with monkie!  I've dealt with Garmin service on about 5 occasions. Twice having a HRM replaced and 3 times sending back my Fenix2.  It takes a while after sending in, at least a few weeks, but every time I got a replacement.  The third time I sent in my F2 in they straight up aked me what I felt would be a satisfactory resolution.  I told them a refund or a replacement with the new Fenix3.  They sent me the F3, and this was about a month or so outside the 12 month warranty too.  

Don't bother with emailing them, set some time aside and go straight to calling them.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

Thanks - rang Garmin Australia this morning - they will replace it with a refurbished -- will take 5-10 business days for turn around.

Seems like this is a common problem with the 735 - water getting into unit from swimming in a pool !!!!

Can't upgrade replacement -- so looks like it's another 735

Just happened to me (literally just got the replacement unit from Garmin this AM-it did take a turnaround of roughly 3 weeks). Died randomly 1 week before Geelong after having it for 18 months (also purchased from pushy's who couldn't do anything). Will hopefully get at least another 18 months out of this watch before upgrading to a different one. I've been happy with the service from Garmin. 

Youngy, while they say refurbished, I will say that the two F2's that they sent me were mint condition and there is no way I could distinguish it from a new one.

13 hours ago, monkie said:

Australian Consumer Law means the warranty limit is unimportant. The device is "warrantied" for as long as is reasonable. Contact them directly and I bet they'll replace it.

Out of curiosity, what do people think is "reasonable" life expectancy for a Garmin watch? Based on general cost of their watches, I would think 3 to maybe 4 years.

I've only ever pulled "the product should be warrantied for a reasonable time" once & that being for a reasonably expensive iPod docking speaker, less than 5 years old. As soon as I mentioned this & the ACCC, after weeks of getting the run around, the issue was resolved under warranty, within a couple of weeks :D

6 minutes ago, \m/ Moshboy \m/ said:

Out of curiosity, what do people think is "reasonable" life expectancy for a Garmin watch? Based on general cost of their watches, I would think 3 to maybe 4 years.

Three years. My 920 cost around $500. That's a three year investment I reckon.

Maybe depends on the device.  A Fenix watch should be laying longer than 3 years.... My 310xt is still working fine, but the casing is disintegrating.  I tend to do that to watches, rust them or eat through rubber.  I'm in my third wristband for my F3.  But the F3 casing is much much tougher, so cross fingers it'll last well.

If you've noticed, appliance retailers etc sell "product care" now rather than "extended warranties", since there technically is no need for the extra warranty any more.  They push that the product care is much easier to deal with and quicker than going through the warranty process.  Which I guess is right, in that there will be some back and forth, plus giving manufacturers a reasonable time to respond etc.  But you still pay for it, and the shops make a lot out of those product care deals.  They live selling them.  Bought a $270 microwave on the weekend and the guy wouldn't shut up about the product care even though I said up front I do not want it.  He just kept going and going.  $80 for a $270 microwave, I'll take my chances!

Edited by goughy

16 hours ago, monkie said:

I reckon I'm pretty much an expert on ACL now having had my iPod nano replaced 9 times by Apple over a 4 year period. They fought me tooth and nail for the first 5, eased up a little for iPods 6 and 7 and then completely rolled over for the last few.  

Some companies are more "agreeable" when ACL gets mentioned, Garmin is one of those. They'll happily replace an out of warranty product. 3 years might be pushing it, but 13 months, you'll be fine. I think they'll offer you a refurbished unit.  You don't need to start quoting ACL or anything they're really good to deal with.

Edited by zed

3 hours ago, \m/ Moshboy \m/ said:

I've only ever pulled "the product should be warrantied for a reasonable time" once & that being for a reasonably expensive iPod docking speaker, less than 5 years old. As soon as I mentioned this & the ACCC, after weeks of getting the run around, the issue was resolved under warranty, within a couple of weeks :D

I think it depends on wear and tear of the watch and the actual fault. If you can demonstrate it's a manufacturing or deign defect, you could arguably have a lifetime warranty. We had our Electrolux fridge replaced and it was 8 years old. The hinge holding the fridge door snapped, not sure what material it was, not metal though, the door fell on my foot and damaged the wooden floor. They replaced the fridge and gave us $3k for the floor repairs. They were really good to deal with actually. I'm not sure if they were worried I was going to sue them for my foot, but it was only bruised!

Edited by zed

Our last dishwasher wasn't branded Electrolux but it was made by then, and was a lemon.  Repaired multiple times and in the end I asked for a full refund, which they didn't even question.  So another company that has a handle on it.