Bored@work

9 weeks till Ironman Australia

Not sure why it's considered such a mental challenge to be riding in the rain when it's 26 degrees! Try riding in the Yarra Valley when it close to zero and foggy or raining, getting wet and unable feel your hands, feet or even speak because your lips are frozen, to me that's a lot tougher mentally than riding in the rain in lovely warm weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, etiennevt said:

Not sure why it's considered such a mental challenge to be riding in the rain when it's 26 degrees! Try riding in the Yarra Valley when it close to zero and foggy or raining, getting wet and unable feel your hands, feet or even speak because your lips are frozen, to me that's a lot tougher mentally than riding in the rain in lovely warm weather.

Stop being sensible.

8 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

We actually had some the day before in Santa Barbara on our way to pismo beach.  That was amazing.  By the time we got to pismo beach it was dark and we just grabbed a 6 pack of beer and a bag of crisps and sat by the fire at our accom and kicked back.  The water looked cold and sharky, birds diving everywhere and seals chasing fish through the water.

I think i am resigned to the fact I'll never make it as a professional driver.

We stayed here for a week at Pismo and explored lots of surf spots, I really like the Five Cities area. Didn't see any sharks but the water was pretty cold.  Good waves in the morning/evening but was quite windy in the daytime.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/pismo-beach-2241-prince-street.en-gb.html?aid=356983;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-us-pismoNbeachN2241NprinceNstreet-unspec-gb-tab-L%3Aen-O%3AosSx-B%3Asafari-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX-H%3As;sid=5a2282781e809f7088f5b00c5c81d171;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&

31 minutes ago, etiennevt said:

you flea.  Don't make such comments.  It will upset AP theory that he is always right and everyone else is wrong.

41 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I like the 1995 inspired Cyco's jersey. Retro is back!!!

Were you even born when AP got that?  

I think he got it for his 50th birthday. 

On 25/04/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A nice leisurely walk with the dog at sunrise, then pottering around the garden. Lovely day in fact. We're about to head off to the beach for lunch.

edit to add:

20180425_150208.thumb.jpg.226d34b0d7e31eaba8924869ef7e2241.jpg

Hey your ocean's on the wrong side?!? 

• Haha 1

And see that island in the background (Moreton Island). One of our group from the dam swam over to it last week. 

I wonder if she knows about the WR tiger sharks that have been caught in Moreton Bay?

• Like 1

4.5hour ride this morning.  No garmin, but also no rain.  So that' two counts of it not counting?  Also not on a road bike or tt bike.  

1524777229815.JPEG

• Like 4

Yeah rode to the San Francisco park then back through town to the bridge and across to Sausalito.   We did it last time we were here but thought we would do an extended version this time.  There is a paddock with some bison in it at the park which was cool to see.  Was a long ride though and the beer at the Mexican place went down very easily...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Just entered.

Is it too late to start training?

I'd expect you to get free entries for life.

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And see that island in the background (Moreton Island). One of our group from the dam swam over to it last week. 

I wonder if she knows about the WR tiger sharks that have been caught in Moreton Bay?

One of my good mates growing up is with Jess (scott),  she is a machine!

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Just entered.

Race or Beer Mile ?

FM

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Just entered.

Just couldn't let Luis catch up to you,eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎6‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, A2K said:

Ran into Al and the Cycos this morning. The army officer he's referring to was there. Not only did George used to put his life on the line every time he went into one of those tunnels in Vietnam, he's just getting over a battle with Non Hodgkins Lymphona. He's 75 years old. He did 8 x 2 km run repeats this morning. All this with a smile on his face and just loving life. I wanna be like George when I'm 75.

I hope George wouldn't mind me posting this as he's a humble bloke. And I could have posted it in the ANZAC day thread in the Sandpit but I chose here. This is George on Anzac day

https://tenplay.com.au/news/brisbane/2018/4/25/friends-for-life

Watch out for him at Port in a couple of weeks and give him a cheer if you're there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dave T said:

Just couldn't let Luis catch up to you,eh?

A part of my decision was to be there for Luis's 30th.

Luis and I started IM together at Im Aust in 1988, finishing only a few minutes apart. Of the 10 Kona qualifiers in our age group, Luis was the only one to decline his place, which rolled down to me. We could hardly know at the time that we'd be racing each other in this new sport 30 years on. Back in 1988, even Kona was only celebrating its 10th anniversary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Flanman said:

Race or Beer Mile ?

FM

Not a beer drinker, Flannie. Prefer a glass of red.

Last year I didn't even wait until the finish line to start celebrating with a cab sav. I had a sachet of vino and some olives in my special needs bag and was already a happy man by the last turn at Settlement Point. :wine:

• Like 2

One week to go. 

Things are looking better this week. yesterday's wetsuit swim was successful. Today had a nice ride.

Looking forward to getting up to Port Mac on Friday 

• Like 3

On 28/04/2018 at 9:15 AM, Paul Every said:

A part of my decision was to be there for Luis's 30th.

Luis and I started IM together at Im Aust in 1988, finishing only a few minutes apart. Of the 10 Kona qualifiers in our age group, Luis was the only one to decline his place, which rolled down to me. We could hardly know at the time that we'd be racing each other in this new sport 30 years on. Back in 1988, even Kona was only celebrating its 10th anniversary.

Fantastic Paul. I know you two have had a "friendly rivalry" dating back to the start, and you usually finish fairly close together. From looking at Luis' Legends site I see that you've both started every race since 1988, with the only difference being his DNF in 1990 on the bike. Do you know what happened that day?

I also remember the year ( 2005 I think) he swam the swim only using one arm, and did the rest of the day in a sling due to a broken shoulder.

• Like 1

Luis is a weird cat. Goes for bike rides starting at midnight. Like 200k ride. 

But a genuine top bloke. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Luis is a weird cat. Goes for bike rides starting at midnight. Like 200k ride. 

But a genuine top bloke. 

But does he do hill repeats in the rain?

55 minutes ago, Tall Paul said:

But does he do hill repeats in the rain?

He drafting off me riding my Vespa to the city one day. It was overcast. Does that count?

Athlete's Guide says the 70.3 run is 21.7km... making up for the short course in Texas maybe...

Also the run map is slightly confusing... coming out of transition it has the pointing arrow the wrong way (back into transition), and turning left to go against the flow...

Yes I'm being picky :-)

6 minutes ago, toolex said:

Athlete's Guide says the 70.3 run is 21.7km

But you can still count it as a PB.

Anyone flying there on Tiger, might want to keep an eye on the news.  The pilots have lodged an application for industrial action commencing Friday.  Figure most competitors will already be up there by then but might affect a few

Rocked into town this arvo and spent 3 hours working locally. Might go for a short ride tomorrow morning. I might even do those things..... what are they called ?????? Oh that’s right, hills. 

FM

14 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Rocked into town this arvo and spent 3 hours working locally. Might go for a short ride tomorrow morning. I might even do those things..... what are they called ?????? Oh that’s right, hills. 

FM

Hows the vibe in town FM?

Coles is very busy. Apart from that, the onslaught hasn’t started yet. I did however, hear an add on the local radio for more vollies. Weather is good during the day but chilly overnight. 

The main act opens tomorrow at 10am so I will be down early to Register after a ride then maybe find some “bargains” .  

I’m looking forward to THAT feeling by tomorrow night when the buzz really starts.

Around 8.30am to 9 on Friday for the Trannie swim catch up at the swim start. Keep an eye out for either the black or the white Trannie caps. Don’t be shy to say hello  I will be there, hoping Greenpeace doesn’t roll me back in  .

FM

• Like 1

Heading down on Friday and arrive around mid afternoon. Will miss the swim catch up unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Coles is very busy.. Weather is good during the day but chilly overnight. 

I've been here since Sunday and been to Coles every day.( I know, I'm old and forgetful. LOL)

The locals look like they're stockpiling for a nuclear attack. Five deep at every checkout. Unbelievable.

Shelves have been cleared of bananas and sports drink.

They know the onslaught is about to begin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Flanman said:

I’m looking forward to THAT feeling by tomorrow night when the buzz really starts.

Now I've got that feeling once again,
I can't explain,
You would not understand,
This is not how I am,

i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i, have become
an Ironman!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, trinube said:

I can't explain,
This is not how I am,

i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i, have become
an Ironman!

Now you've done it.

Good thing I could find it on youtube & have the album playing away in the background. :)

9 hours ago, trinube said:

I can't explain,
This is not how I am,

an Ironman!

It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away :lol:

20 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Now you've done it.

Good thing I could find it on youtube & have the album playing away in the background. :)

Link?

Anyone got a 2mm Allen key we could quickly borrow — staying at Mantra — going to have a bit of a swim at 7am this morning 

just need it to adjust brakes 

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

I've got a feeling.........

Yeah I know what you mean FP, when I sit on heated car seat I think .. Ive got a feeling Ive wet myself. 🤤😦😲

So happy when I havent ! 

9 hours ago, Surfer said:

Yeah I know what you mean FP, when I sit on heated car seat I think .. Ive got a feeling Ive wet myself. 🤤😦😲

So happy when I havent ! 

Not quite where I was going with it...:lol:

• Haha 1