Jump to content
Bored@work

9 weeks till Ironman Australia

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Quick search on athlinks shows she failed to qualify first start when coming 2nd.  Had another crack at cairns where she won but there was only 2 in AG.

 

Funny thing is even though she only beat one other person home to get her spot she also smashed Prizna's DNF  in the same race.

I wish my age group only had 2 in it. Seems AP excels with Insta queen and himself. 

Sadly there is usually 300 plus. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Peter said:

I wish my age group only had 2 in it. Seems AP excels with Insta queen and himself. 

Sadly there is usually 300 plus. 

Come on Peter, your looking for an excuse. You need to focus on the journey and not what others are doing. We all have a little voice that can undermine our dream - the difference between her & you is not purely talent, it's often the ability to block out the negatives and switch right back on to the constructive thoughts / self talk. The outcome is often decided by who handles it best.

#blessed #kona #flea #tiger 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

the difference between her & you is not purely talent, it's often the ability to block out the negatives and switch right back on to the constructive thoughts / self talk.

I'm sure Peter could block out all the negative thoughts if he only had 1 person to beat in his AG to get to Kona.

 

Then again, you've got to beat that person. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, prizna said:

dnf before walking mfd

Easy there buddy. You’ve proved in the past you can dnf 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never walked MFD or DNF d  an IRONMAN.

 

But damn im now confused. 

Never Kona'd either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Come on Peter, your looking for an excuse. You need to focus on the journey and not what others are doing. We all have a little voice that can undermine our dream - the difference between her & you is not purely talent, it's often the ability to block out the negatives and switch right back on to the constructive thoughts / self talk. The outcome is often decided by who handles it best.

#blessed #kona #flea #tiger 

 

Yes of course. You are right. 

Luck ive do Kona ironman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2018 at 4:07 PM, prizna said:

Anyone else barely training?

Yes. Only in for the half but haven't started again after IMNZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Easy there buddy. You’ve proved in the past you can dnf 

Order of respectability

1: any time faster than yours
2: DNF
3: DNS
4: your finish time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

How's the training going AP? 

How's the training going AP? 

Hit up the 6 week out O'reillys ride yet or is that this weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, prizna said:

How's the training going AP? 

Hit up the 6 week out O'reillys ride yet or is that this weekend?

I thought he was off to live in a cave & eat red meat for his next Ironman prep or was that for Kona?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I thought he was off to live in a cave & eat red meat for his next Ironman prep or was that for Kona?

He is the only person in his age group.  So he is busy booking his accommodation for Kona.

AP plans to walk the bike leg apparently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

haha.  Don't let the truth get in the way of a great story.  

It's like when he had an athlete qualify for Kona yet she was the only one in the age group.  Not exactly worth bragging about.

 

If you are talking about the TRUTH - tell me which athlete and which race this was supposed to be - I've had 75 qualify and I cannot think of one time this has happened - if there's two in the age group and one wins - one misses out - now that's the truth :lol:

Quote

He is the only person in his age group.  So he is busy booking his accommodation for Kona.

.I have no idea how many are likely to turn up in my age group - but you still have to turn up healthy and fit - and my strategy is always go hard from the swim start to the run finish - if someone else wants it more than me they have to come up and take it off me - I'm strong and fit with six weeks to go - just have to stay healthy and stay upright 

It doesn't matter how many are in your age group - if you want to qualify just get yourself into the top 1-2% and you'll get there B) it may take a couple of seasons of consistent training - it may take the right plan - but if you want it bad you'll find a way 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AP said:

 - I'm strong and fit with six weeks to go - just have to stay healthy and stay upright 

 

that's great news, what's the plan for the next six weeks?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

that's great news, what's the plan for the next six weeks?

 

Cut back the manual work around home - my plan was to get most of the heavy landscape construction stuff done before I reached 8 weeks to go (I am doing a major renovation on this house and do the outside work early so the gardens are becoming established while I work on the inside)

For the next 6 weeks I still ride 6 days a week - 3 of those it's only a 45min commute too and from the pool - these days I only run twice a week although I have a couple more 2hr runs and one 3hr one all to limited HRs (pure endurance work)

I only swim enough to maintain technique (three times a week) 

My focus switches to better recovery now - it's too close to run yourself down and risk an illness or injury 

It's my 45th Ironman so I know what is going to push me over the edge, by now I know where the edge is :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just drove up MFD hill after watching a pod of dolphins off Lighthouse Beach. The rollers are what get me, not the hill. I will get back on the bike next week. Got in the pool yesterday for a paddle. The back is still tender. 

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2018 at 5:31 PM, Peter said:

I wish my age group only had 2 in it. Seems AP excels with Insta queen and himself. 

Sadly there is usually 300 plus. 

Sounds like you’re just jealous that besides having only one other participant in your age group that you need to beat for a Kona slot, a finish time slower than someone of AP’s vintage (ie ~double your age) will do the trick 😉

Edited by trilobite
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Sounds like you’re just jealous that besides having only one other participant in your age group that you need to beat for a Kona slot, a finish time slower than someone of AP’s vintage (ie ~double your age) will do the trick 😉

I'm jealous she young and has $$$.  I never had money like her at 19 to go to Kona and do $1000 race.

So yep.  I'm jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2018 at 1:53 PM, AP said:
On 20/03/2018 at 1:53 PM, AP said:

If you are talking about the TRUTH - tell me which athlete and which race this was supposed to be - I've had 75 qualify 

 

Is this number 75 individuals or are you including people who have qualified multiple times? 

Curious to know the % of online athletes v squad trained athletes who qualify. Also how many had previously qualified under a different coach. 

Is PJ counted in the 75? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Is this number 75 individuals or are you including people who have qualified multiple times? 

Curious to know the % of online athletes v squad trained athletes who qualify. Also how many had previously qualified under a different coach. 

Is PJ counted in the 75? 

And is he counting his own 20 qualifications..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Is this number 75 individuals or are you including people who have qualified multiple times? 

Curious to know the % of online athletes v squad trained athletes who qualify. Also how many had previously qualified under a different coach. 

Is PJ counted in the 75? 

That's 75 individuals who had not qualified previously - many of them have gone on to qualify several more times after their first one

The % of online athletes who have qualified is about the same as the percentage of online to squad 

No PJ is not counted in that 75 - I met PJ in Hawaii in about 2003-2004 - a friend introduced us - the same friend eventually sponsored him on the condition that I train him - the friend/sponsor is one of the 75 qualifiers from our squad

I don't count myself in the 75 B)

Quote

Also how many had previously qualified under a different coach. 

Interestingly quite a few who had trained with other coaches and never made it - I've looked through their diaries and then reduced their totals by as much as 20% - sorted out their diet - got their training back into balance and they've gone 45-60min faster :huh: lots of athletes out there are training themselves out of contention 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how many starts have your athletes had?

About 150 then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peter said:

So how many starts have your athletes had?

About 150 then?

Kona starts? - I haven't counted that but it would be over 100 - lots who go there are hooked on the atmosphere and are always able to see where they could improve so many go again at least once B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AP said:

Kona starts? - I haven't counted that but it would be over 100 - lots who go there are hooked on the atmosphere and are always able to see where they could improve so many go again at least once B)

So insperational 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Six weeks to go.  I have not trained for 18 days. I will start tomorrow. I think swimming will be good. Running will be even slower than normal - I reckon that the winning IM run time will beat my HIM run time. Even though I have ridden a fair bit the last 4 months, i am a little worried about the ride. Yesterday I drove from Port to Laurieton. It is VERY lumpy. 

Oh well, it is lumpy for everyone. 

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×