Bored@work

9 weeks till Ironman Australia

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'll put out a challenge to you AP.  I'll be doing port next year.  I'll do one road ride a fortnight the rest on kickr.   If you have any tigers in the 35 to 39 category next year we can compare results.  

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY 

This is a thread in it's self 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Proof AP don’t know how professional train when the weather turns shit. 

Absolute gold. 

Still doubt he went out on a wet day. 

AP didn’t say they never got on a trainer. 

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Shhhh

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good old stacks-on ;)

13 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Nope he just said that riding hill reps in the rain was more value than getting on your kickr. 

6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Nope he just said that riding hill reps in the rain was more value than getting on your kickr. 

Flea😂😂😂

12 hours ago, AP said:

I regard professional cyclists as the toughest sportsmen in the world - they don't train on their kickr in their garage - they train out in the conditions where they'll race B)

You should tune in to the stages podcast Kona wrap-up episode - Lance is practically in awe of the fact that Lionel Sanders does most of his training on a trainer, treadmill and endless pool.

You don't have to train in shit weather to be able to race in it. Rain is wet. Wind is blowy. It ain't really rocket science. 

I weigh up the risks of being on the roads in shit weather and train indoors. 

As for specificity, is Mt Cootha reps part of the IM bike course is it? Interesting. 

57 minutes ago, Turts said:

As for specificity, is Mt Cootha reps part of the IM bike course is it? Interesting.

From what I here, 6 reps is nearly the equivalent of going up MFD. :)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Peter said:

Proof AP don’t know how professional train when the weather turns shit. 

Absolute gold. 

Still doubt he went out on a wet day. 

Didn't you figure out that with the aero front wheel and the shoe covers that they were warming up for the time trial and taking the opportunity to post a photo of one of their major sponsor's products :mellow:

And Brett why wait for next year you have time to enter 2018 B)

8 minutes ago, AP said:

It's not in my plan AP.   But next year is.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, AP said:

Seriously, you could get insulted over anything - I wasn't comparing training for an Ironman to fighting a war - rain happens - when it happens you adjust a little but you handle it - roads get wet - you change the way you ride them

One of the guys who was out there with us this morning is a retired army officer, one of the tunnel rats from Vietnam - he was there at 75yrs riding up that hill six times - to quote him "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" he was preparing while many others were in their garages on their kickers B)

If you're going to be insulted or offended, don't let it be by the fact that someone else has a different opinion to yours, wait for it to actually be an insult, be patient, it'll come :lol: 

Ran into Al and the Cycos this morning. The army officer he's referring to was there. Not only did George used to put his life on the line every time he went into one of those tunnels in Vietnam, he's just getting over a battle with Non Hodgkins Lymphona. He's 75 years old. He did 8 x 2 km run repeats this morning. All this with a smile on his face and just loving life. I wanna be like George when I'm 75.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AP said:

Didn't you figure out that with the aero front wheel and the shoe covers that they were warming up for the time trial and taking the opportunity to post a photo of one of their major sponsor's products :mellow:

AP u can admit when you’re wrong. Plenty of pro cyclist head for the kickr & zwift when the weather turns to shit. Watch some of the BMC, Orica vids on YouTube.

Lionel Sanders and a bunch of top pro Ironman races hit the trainer. 

20 minutes ago, A2K said:

Ran into Al and the Cycos this morning. The army officer he's referring to was there. Not only did George used to put his life on the line every time he went into one of those tunnels in Vietnam, he's just getting over a battle with Non Hodgkins Lymphona. He's 75 years old. He did 8 x 2 km run repeats this morning. All this with a smile on his face and just loving life. I wanna be like George when I'm 75.

I wanna be like George when I'm 45! (And 45 is in the wind for me now)... :(

AP is out of touch. Simple. 

Edited by Peter

38 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I think he might have won a race or two 

Not a real soldier 

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

It's not in my plan AP.   But next year is.

So it is possible to have a plan that isn't only IM Port and Kona...?

#mindblown

22 minutes ago, pieman said:

#mindblown

Wow. I’m shocked by this too. NOT. 

24 minutes ago, pieman said:

#mindblown

HOW?

(As in Hell of the West)

5 minutes ago, noknees said:

Christ, this AP bashing is getting secondhand.

Why? He loves doing it to others. TBH I think the original theme to his post was. I'm a hard ass, I trained in the rain, I'm going to Kona, FIGJAM.

He just tried to hide it around his normal BS

17 minutes ago, noknees said:

Christ, this AP bashing is getting secondhand.

My posts are not AP bashing I am seriously interested if he this is how he coaches (as someone in Brisbane who wants to do a good IM he is on my shortlist.

Would love to know if he would coach an athlete who said he wanted to do most of his rides on a trainer? If he doesn't appreciate the time saving and safety aspects then not sure why any busy person would go to him?

What would be have said to me if instead of Mt cootha rain repeats i stayed in my garage and did zwift hill repeats..

I think some of this discussion needs chopping into another thread of its own......

The fleas have simply missed the point again - we've been doing regular trainer workouts for 25yrs - I'm not against the trainer at all - the point I was making was I have a group of guys and girls training for a race which is 70% mental

The scheduled workout was hill repeats - the morning turned out to be showery - they all turned up for the workout - they know the value of the mental game - many of those who would normally be on the mountain were taking the soft / safe option - you can call it safe if you're not into the mental game - you call it soft if you are into mental strength training - anyone who dodges discomfort is going to crack in their next major race

If the event you're training for is 70% mental - you really need to work that part of your plan proportionately 

There are lots of reasons given for poor performances, nutrition, bla bla bla - the most common cause of disappointing long distance race results - is mental melt down :huh:

KTcSuf5mS-0NK11FmvBVtFBBSwRhpnPKIfjqgPWgG9eEC5zgn_X1_DHKEltrpRDhUCaL0ZQhJ2bo8YvVdWX6SPkPlXeZHHo-IqW-2rWXAjGk-inFLS0Qede2iET-pqZMf6yyYgcV_0cy8HI9_5V3aTgb6ZIg4R3mvmeTz9Ed0iH7l-TbsWO7AnYzz-1wYz3SpS1Pe0MsSwz9Pe-u2DuUx2PZfRwbHTNlM2o2eDjvfXXASU68PdWXSQ43Jo25_OEzU8b0NlUG9XL43n893AMukCPJAcLb2U6lWG5_q5bEaeKbwtYOho9WMHcsshwyfASAvLm5DO1e-efwk_z7S93hFaL1YBoT6BZVdTSF2HomMoqIH1WOS6qy2QMWU0fI4Lnrzu4N24RBf6-t_T5o1FLM5J07wxIAZN1RaK41ccz0iEump89EkWEwbaHHCKhhoYdmNdD9zTtu-gSRpAL2i3vvQCuXyOIVENQU75y7_0tCmQJ-XUUZnXO7Xz-wTVVVZOeXrsA9hS7ROhTxh2dR8rQPnwW9WlR1ZHqmdgkB_DPScK1S3emZndLvTydA8siZmTLgoyVMEg7iTUQnigqQ9gv7ix2JG0A5JtCZ40ryKD4=w877-h637-no

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AP said:

The fleas have simply missed the point again - we've been doing regular trainer workouts for 25yrs - I'm not against the trainer at all - the point I was making was I have a group of guys and girls training for a race which is 70% mental

The scheduled workout was hill repeats - the morning turned out to be showery - they all turned up for the workout - they know the value of the mental game - many of those who would normally be on the mountain were taking the soft / safe option - you can call it safe if you're not into the mental game - you call it soft if you are into mental strength training - anyone who dodges discomfort is going to crack in their next major race

If the event you're training for is 70% mental - you really need to work that part of your plan proportionately 

There are lots of reasons given for poor performances, nutrition, bla bla bla - the most common cause of disappointing long distance race results - is mental melt down :huh:

KTcSuf5mS-0NK11FmvBVtFBBSwRhpnPKIfjqgPWgG9eEC5zgn_X1_DHKEltrpRDhUCaL0ZQhJ2bo8YvVdWX6SPkPlXeZHHo-IqW-2rWXAjGk-inFLS0Qede2iET-pqZMf6yyYgcV_0cy8HI9_5V3aTgb6ZIg4R3mvmeTz9Ed0iH7l-TbsWO7AnYzz-1wYz3SpS1Pe0MsSwz9Pe-u2DuUx2PZfRwbHTNlM2o2eDjvfXXASU68PdWXSQ43Jo25_OEzU8b0NlUG9XL43n893AMukCPJAcLb2U6lWG5_q5bEaeKbwtYOho9WMHcsshwyfASAvLm5DO1e-efwk_z7S93hFaL1YBoT6BZVdTSF2HomMoqIH1WOS6qy2QMWU0fI4Lnrzu4N24RBf6-t_T5o1FLM5J07wxIAZN1RaK41ccz0iEump89EkWEwbaHHCKhhoYdmNdD9zTtu-gSRpAL2i3vvQCuXyOIVENQU75y7_0tCmQJ-XUUZnXO7Xz-wTVVVZOeXrsA9hS7ROhTxh2dR8rQPnwW9WlR1ZHqmdgkB_DPScK1S3emZndLvTydA8siZmTLgoyVMEg7iTUQnigqQ9gv7ix2JG0A5JtCZ40ryKD4=w877-h637-no

So inspirational

#blessed

1 hour ago, AP said:

many of those who would normally be on the mountain were taking the soft / safe option - you can call it safe if you're not into the mental game

Personally, I think Mt Coottha repeats is the soft session over an hour or so on a trainer.

1 hour ago, AP said:

I disappointed you’ve resorted to name calling. 

Poor form from a former well respected coach. 

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Personally, I think Mt Coottha repeats is the soft session over an hour or so on a trainer.

Agreed 6 wet Kuta reps is mentally easier than 1hr on the trainer.

52 minutes ago, prizna said:

Agreed 6 wet Kuta reps is mentally easier than 1hr on the trainer.

6hrs on the trainer is fkn hard mentally

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Pinkboy used to do those in a room without music or DVD's.

The year I broke my arm I did 6hr WT sessions with a plaster cast in January ( 35C+).

Piece of cake.

Don't ask me to do hill repeats in the rain.;)

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Pinkboy used to do those in a room without music or DVD's.

The year I broke my arm I did 6hr WT sessions with a plaster cast in January ( 35C+).

Piece of cake.

Don't ask me to do hill repeats in the rain.;)

I have no idea how he did it. I had music, movies and youtube for my sessions. The down side of training for US based races for the last 9 years is all my training is done over winter.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I did one 5hr session last year but did get off on the hour to swap bottles. Sadly the kitchen is only 4 mtrs from the trainer. :lol:

I think i should give up and pull out of Port Mac, cos i'm obviously not respecting the event

I don't get up and train before 6am

I don't ride in the wet on the road, unless it rains when i'm out riding

I don't ride in the dark on the road

I see my family and let life get in the way e.g. last 14 days longest session has been 1hr 40min and that was on the MTB with the kids.

I don't open water swim regularly

I don't do core strenght, stretching, yoga

i don't have an instagram account

I do sarcasm and that is what this post is (just in case you missed it). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

I think i should give up and pull out of Port Mac, cos i'm obviously not respecting the event

I don't get up and train before 6am

I don't ride in the wet on the road, unless it rains when i'm out riding

I don't ride in the dark on the road

I see my family and let life get in the way e.g. last 14 days longest session has been 1hr 40min and that was on the MTB with the kids.

I don't open water swim regularly

I don't do core strenght, stretching, yoga

i don't have an instagram account

I do sarcasm and that is what this post is (just in case you missed it). 

Fingers crossed you get that Kona spot you're chasing.

#blessed#tippytoes#tiger#soldier

Another one for AP. 

Guess he still believes pros go out in all weather for mental toughness. 

A3713E21-39B6-4266-8899-7E339C4A9946.png

5 hours ago, pieman said:

Would love to know if he would coach an athlete who said he wanted to do most of his rides on a trainer? If he doesn't appreciate the time saving and safety aspects then not sure why any busy person would go to him?

This.

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

It was when I watched Titanic... it finished. I still had 2:45 to go. That is NOT A SHORT FILM.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, monkie said:

It was when I watched Titanic... it finished. I still had 2:45 to go. That is NOT A SHORT FILM.

At least you had the heart to go on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

At least you had the heart to go on.

Chapeau Sir.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Peter said:

Another one for AP. 

Guess he still believes pros go out in all weather for mental toughness. 

A3713E21-39B6-4266-8899-7E339C4A9946.png

I'm not sure posting a pic of a 16km ride by an ex- neverwas is going to be a 'drop mic' moment on this argument.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, monkie said:

I found watching Titanic harder than a 6hr ride.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, monkie said:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

This is Tim Reed training on his kickr in the garage. 

C9101BE3-CC49-46F7-BED6-2AF0DAC5B824.png

Pics and vids of people on oindoor trainers is for a reason - paid advertising!

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Interestingly this time was the first time I noticed the glaring problems with the film.

The main one being, there was definitely space for Jack on the bit of wood at the end.

The other one is that this water is supposedly freezing.... to the point that it kills people fairly instantly when they are in it. But they've been wading around for an hour in the same water without so much as an "Ooo that's chilly".

1 minute ago, monkie said:

The other one is that this water is supposedly freezing.... to the point that it kills people fairly instantly when they are in it. But they've been wading around for an hour in the same water without so much as an "Ooo that's chilly".

Duh, he'd just had to listen to that Celine Dion song, he was already brain dead