Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Garmin Edge and bluetooth sensors

Hey Everyone, 

My Garmin 935 watch will pair with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) heart rate straps as well as the standard ANT+ which is pretty cool. I assume it will attach to other bluetooth sensors as well such as speed/cadence, power meters etc.

What I want to know is what level/model of Garmin Edge bike computers can do the same. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure my Garmin 510 doesn't and very sure my humble old 500 definitely won't. So which ones will (and preferably the lowest spec one (read "cheapest" :) )

For the record, I did a bit of googling but 99% of the responses is about Garmin connecting to your smartphone via bluetooth, not Garmin to peripheral BLE sensors.

500 will only do HR I think, but 510 does HR, PM, cadence sensor etc. 

I think you find it will only be the newest of devices.  Maybe the edge 1000, probably the 1030   maybe the 520.

Garmin was very resistant to suppirt BT sensors etc, only phones.  I think Garmin own the ant+ profile or something.  But they had to catch on eventually.  I don't even know if the F5 supports BT sensors.

• Like 1

Yep my 510 connects to my Kickr, Wahoo cadence and heart rate as well as my iPhone via bluetooth.

16 minutes ago, JeffS said:

Yep my 510 connects to my Kickr, Wahoo cadence and heart rate as well as my iPhone via bluetooth.

Happy to be proved wrong but I think you will find the Kickr, Wahoo cadence and heart rate are ANT+ while only the phone connection is bluetooth.

From Ironnerd's link I found DC Rainmaker lists the devices as Bluetooth SMART (the older name for BLE) - and according to him the 500, 510, 520, 800, 820 and the 1000 all can't do it. In fact, the only one I could find that does is the new Edge 1030 which I think is the current top-o- the-wazza Edge?

ANT+ is actually better in one respect - from my limited playing with it BLE devices can only send data to one device whereas ANT+ can be two or more (so you ANT+ HR strap could be used by your watch and your bike computer at the same time, but not your BLE HR sensor)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Happy to be proved wrong but I think you will find the Kickr, Wahoo cadence and heart rate are ANT+ while only the phone connection is bluetooth.

From Ironnerd's link I found DC Rainmaker lists the devices as Bluetooth SMART (the older name for BLE) - and according to him the 500, 510, 520, 800, 820 and the 1000 all can't do it. In fact, the only one I could find that does is the new Edge 1030 which I think is the current top-o- the-wazza Edge?

ANT+ is actually better in one respect - from my limited playing with it BLE devices can only send data to one device whereas ANT+ can be two or more (so you ANT+ HR strap could be used by your watch and your bike computer at the same time, but not your BLE HR sensor)

Your'e right. Hadn't really thought about it just jumped on and started riding and all connected. But makes sense since I'm using trainer road on iPad so that will be using the bluetooth connection.