Sign in to follow this  
goughy

Private health, who are worth a gander?

Was given a 3 year waiting period to do my teeth publically, and a process from go to whoa of 15 months, including 6 months with no teeth at all.  Rarely will I say I'm lucky my wife had a tpd claim.  And I don't think you can have your teeth done publically unless you have a health care card.  Not that PHC covered that much of it anyway (maybe more than I think though).

22 hours ago, Peter said:

19?  Are you a professional cyclist or MMA fighter?

Nah, just break easy :huh: Appendix, knees, hernias, prostate, wisdom teeth, collarbone, PRP injections, cytoscopies......

Actually, adding them up is might only be 15? Or I've missed some?  Anyhow, GAs don't bother me at all.  They really mess some people up.  I just get a good sleep.

Yeah TC - I'm thinking that is the way to go, then more $'s for great holidays.

We've had about 6 times when we could have used private, in every case there was no benefit, or we would be even more out of pocket to go private than public.

The two times in with kidney stones, I signed the form to allow the public hospital to claim money from the private fund - beyond that have paid 13 years of fees for f all to show for it.  4 days of free tv and newpapers - such a great return on around $20K in fees to date just for the hospital cover (and not counting the extras)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Friend had a neck injury - always said Medicare was enough. Self employed, no income protection, waitlist for operation was 18 months. Lasted 2, before he found a surgeon who would do it for 20k.  He said that was how much he would have paid if he'd had private health cover for last ten years.  It works if you do put aside that money  to cover unexpected health issues.  Maybe some people are that proactive.  Not too many would I think.

My mate and his wife were like that.  They just dumped all their money into their house and figure if we need it is there.  But they have got PHC now for tax reasons.  

If it gets dire, the World will look after you. Huge guilt put upon us to have private cover - it's marketing. I had it for 25 years. Wish I had that money in the bank.

I dumped mine about 2 years ago, after paying around $250 a month I think, for ages for my wife and I.

Knowing it was a waste of money, it was made easier for me to opt out after I was told that, because I have no Medicare coverage, I cannot have private health care in Australia anyway.

I had Cigna Global coverage for a year, now I changed to another mob as Cigna hiked their premium, and give me squat in return - even being an existing customer. Covered in most places except North America and picked up dental and optometrist for and extra $500 per year. Paid USD$1025 for 6 months rather than doing monthly payments and saved on transfer fees too.

We used to use Cigna for inpats at my last role, you will not find a more useless coverage in Australia.  Think they had a grand total of 4 doctors that you could use in all of Melbourne, possibly all of Victoria

55 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

We used to use Cigna for inpats at my last role, you will not find a more useless coverage in Australia.  Think they had a grand total of 4 doctors that you could use in all of Melbourne, possibly all of Victoria

I am currently with Cigna as an expat. I am not sure if it applies to all clients but myself and my family get GU Health coverage while in Australia as part of my expat coverage working outside Australia.

As I've said before, like all insurances, the test is really when you need to claim. Unfortunately, ( or fortunately ) I didn't have to so it is untested and a 'waste' of money. Same as if your house burns down. You hate paying the premiums, but why risk crying like a biatch on A Current Affair because you just lost everything but weren't covered.