Sign in to follow this  
goughy

Private health, who are worth a gander?

We've been with Bupa (mbf) forever, but they're dropping more and more stuff that they'll cover.  In particular removing coverage for knee replacements from their lower policies.  Obviously we're not looking for super high end cover, and we don't really need it for tax reasons.  But my wife will wanna keep some form of it so wondering which are the good ones to take a look at?  

I always find looking at stuff like PHC and insurances etc to be mind boggling and overwhelming, and generally just give up and leave well enough alone.

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dynamic/search

try the government site.  no kickbacks or nufing nefarious.

we tend to recommend GMHBA - they do a 70% of scheduled fee rebate on extras.  so if you are an infrequent user of items you will get a nice chunk of rebate.  For example some funds will give you $80 for an $800 dollar crown.  GMHBA will give you 70%.  Also they give 100% on preventative dental.

also a point of note.   Check the fine print on the hospital cover and make sure the fund you chose has a contract with the hospital you want to use.  Sometimes its hard to find but really important as it will affect the gap payments on various procedures and hospital stays.

That's kinda one of the things I've heard changing with Bupa and hospitals.  Something about them going all American and only covering you in their hospitals, even if going public.... 

Thanks for the link too.  Iselect pisses me off and continually bother me if I use them for anything.

Edited by goughy

I was with nib and you can claim tri coaching or pool entry up to $400. 

But im with teachers health. Half the cost of nib thanks to the wife and a new job. 

Its bloody awesome. 

Not as good as some of the banks or defence force health funds. 

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Must be the higher cost ones, nothing like that for me on the cheaper plans.  NIB is getting more useless all the time, only main insurance company you walk into specsavers  with and don't qualify for their deals on glasses with no out of pockets - regardless of your level of cover.  Used to get 2 glasses per year (one normal, one tinted) for free, now it's getting close to $200 per year for the same deal.  Went to a nutrionist recently, 3 years ago got 50% rebate up to the limit, now it's only 50% rebate on the service fee, not on the supplements.

I'm going to be calling around the insurance companies in the next few weeks, been with NIB for over 12 years and they just keep upping the premium and lowering the rebates.  Starting to feel taken for granted by them.  Hate to break it to you Goughy, but if you want the best plan for a good price, get used to calling them all on a regular basis

Not just that, but I think all the lower level plans, or funds which get used by people in my socioeconomic bracket, will be very much the same......

Years ago I wanted to get rid of it, only got it because of IVF and the local clinic wouldn't work with the public hospital. But my wife prefers private over public hospital and she has had a lot of procedures over the years, so for her piece of mind and comfort we kept it.  Now I'm starting to dabble in it.  While it didn't cover much of the cost of my teeth, it still used up 2 or 3 years of premiums.  And my wife had probably used up the premium costs for the other 16 odd years. 

you should review health funds every year.  people never do.  funds bring out attractive levels of cover all the time to get new clients.  these levels of cover are not offered to existing clients.  Best thing to do is ring and say you are switching.  Puts a real torch under them and they will go through all the options with you and you often come out better.  Sometimes :wink1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’ve was with BUPA for ages and swapped to NIB when I changed jobs. 

NIB isn’t even comparable. I am thinking of switching back to BUPA. 

Check out https://membersown.com.au/. It is a list of all the mutual funds that still exist.

If you are eligible to join any of the above funds it is worth considering them. They are more generous in the benefits that they pay to practitioners, which will usually mean reduced out of pocket costs for yourself.

It kind of makes sense that they should pay more back to their members - they don’t have the profit requirement of the corporate funds, nor do they spend as much in advertising.

BUPA are in the media for their latest attempt At americanising our private health system by dictating which hospitals they allow their clients to use. They are under investigation by the ombudsman. I would run a mile from them. I can tell you they haven’t changed their payment for a Physio visit for more than a decade so it can’t be our rising health costs threatening their bottom line 

Yeah Parky, that's one of the things that got us thinking.  My wife reckons they're the cheapest around which is what has kept us from changing....... I think regardless we'll keep hospital cover, but we have to question our extras.  I know we're not people who go out actively to make sure we use them, but with 3 of us in glasses now, me and daughter having issues requiring physio every now and then and both of us in orthotics now, plus my wife is on some off book use medicines so we get some back on them....

19 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Just having a browse through this now.  That government rebate thing, is the the 30% you get off??  So the plan pricing they quote doesn't include the extra 30% we get off (I know we've had coverage since before they brought in the 30yr old thingy they did).

Currently we're paying $327/month including our rebate.  

Bupa lets me look back 3 years for claims, so added it all up.  They've paid out $14250 in hospital (we've had $1250 in excess payments) and $5534 in extras, out of $13577 in total costs, not including a $2000 service for me for which we'd already used up all my extras for that service.  The 6 months prior to this period I had my teeth done which included a tonne of dental work in 2 surgerys, 1 of being an overnight stay.  They would have paid out a chunk there as I think my extras claim then was over 4k alone.  But prior to my teeth, I'd have used very very little of our phc.

Just trying to work out if having extras are worth it for us, or just drop to hospital.  And then if paying for a better fund (or higher level) is worth it if we get more back?  **** this is confusing......  Most, if not all my hospital stuff wouldn't have been done publicly.  And a good chunk of my wifes stuff wouldn't have been done publicly either....... 

Edited by goughy

3 hours ago, Parkside said:

BUPA are in the media for their latest attempt At americanising our private health system by dictating which hospitals they allow their clients to use. They are under investigation by the ombudsman. I would run a mile from them. I can tell you they haven’t changed their payment for a Physio visit for more than a decade so it can’t be our rising health costs threatening their bottom line 

And talking about dropping hip replacements from certain covers as well (something I wouldnt have cared about till a few weeks ago :lol: ) 

Knees too, same sitch as you!

I split my hospital and my extra cover with two companies as it worked out better.  I am going to drop my extras soon as you do pay for things you don’t use.  Dental is really the only thing I use. 

We're thinking about just dropping back to ambulance cover - no other private insurance at all.  Currently have hosp. + extras.  I've had 19 surgeries/general anesthetics in my life, all for pretty minor stuff.  All cost nothing except the two procedures done in private hospitals. It really helps when you know the local surgeons too.  Stuff just happens.

19?  Are you a professional cyclist or MMA fighter?

On 3/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, Peter said:

But im with teachers health. Half the cost of nib thanks to the wife and a new job. 

Its bloody awesome. 

Not as good as some of the banks or defence force health funds. 

Thanks for that tip Pete, got the mrs chasing it up. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Thanks for that tip Pete, got the mrs chasing it up. 

You need to be covered under the well-being extras cover with them on your extras.

For us, it's another $9 per week ($468 per year) for the family above our current level of cover to get $150 back (plus a few other things which aren't an attraction to us)

• Like 1

I have been with GU Health under a corporate plan for quite a while now. I am very happy with the small gap I usually have to pay.

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

I have been with GU Health under a corporate plan for quite a while now. I am very happy with the small gap I usually have to pay.

Yeah, they pay almost as well as police health

18 hours ago, Peter said:

19?  Are you a professional cyclist or MMA fighter?

I'm up to 15 now :(

I'll have to tell my wife she ain't so special anymore!