alexholbrook

Lower Back Tightness

Hi all,

On the Monday that's just been I've suffered from some lower back tightness. I woke up on Monday morning literally having to get dad to help me out of bed. I hadn't really done much other than swim all week prior due to water polo finals coming up, so there's not a chance that it happened while riding a bike. It feel like there's pinching in the thoracic region of the back, meaning that it pinches when I try to reach my toes or pick up anything of the ground. I can still swim and run, although I road the MTB yesterday morning and had to pull up after about 50 minutes. 

My question is, would I be best to see a physio or as someone suggested from work, maybe a chiropractor would be best. I've tried some massage from the masseur that I see every fortnight and there was no alleviation in tightness. 

Also, my strength work is quite solid at the moment. 3-4 gym sessions a week, except for the week before this happened. 

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Alexander

I would always suggest physio over chiro. They should be able to assess what the problem is and give you some recommendations about fixing it. Chiros just like to crack things. I'm sure others will disagree.

I developed a very sore back on Monday, was struggling to stand up straight and couldnt walk without pain. I was extra tight through hammies, glutes, hip flexors so just lots of stretching, trigger pointing and rolling helped resolve it.

Good luck.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I would always suggest physio over chiro. They should be able to assess what the problem is and give you some recommendations about fixing it. Chiros just like to crack things. I'm sure others will disagree.

I developed a very sore back on Monday, was struggling to stand up straight and couldnt walk without pain. I was extra tight through hammies, glutes, hip flexors so just lots of stretching, trigger pointing and rolling helped resolve it.

Good luck.

Physio not Chiro as AA7 said.  

Sounds like body has gone into protection mode.  Body will tighten when you have either overloaded an area due to fatigue, technique or mobility issues.  When the body tightens like this it is seeking stability.  So somethings is unstable.  

Hit the quads, hip mobility, external rotators, and some kneeling thoracic rotations.  

^^^ What they said.  I've had some lower back issues myself over the last few months.  One trip to the physio has made it 90% better (thoracic was very tight) with stretches and exercises.  With a chiro they'll like say you have to come back again and again for adjustments...

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Physio not Chiro as AA7 said.  

Sounds like body has gone into protection mode.  Body will tighten when you have either overloaded an area due to fatigue, technique or mobility issues.  When the body tightens like this it is seeking stability.  So somethings is unstable.  

Hit the quads, hip mobility, external rotators, and some kneeling thoracic rotations.  

This is pretty good advice - look for the cause not treat the symptoms - not many good chiros but if you get a good one (Phil Maffetone is a chiro / kinesiologist) they can do far more than crack backs and get you to come back

If you can fins a good Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner you'll find they will seek that balance that FB talked about with acupuncture and herbs - another good path B)