MissJess

The Great Transitions Beer Mile! (Port Mac)

3pm Monday 7th May at the Town Green!!

Don't forget to be costumed, have some fun with this, there is a Fashions in the Field award.

Entry list is here!! https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RPG9J59YFt9Ly9SVicdK3kyuRFbgClEjQGQmYpE9OY/edit?usp=sharing I'll update it as I get people, but you should also be able to pop your name in if I have it working right.

Well, folks it's on again, and I am in the process of taking over this great event from Coffs Pete! I'm new to this please be nice! For those uninitiated the Beer Mile has the following format. Beer, Run 400m x 4.

It will be held at the end of rolldown on the day after the Port Mac Ironman, qualification process is simple. Finish the Ironman the day before and you can get a start. We have a super secret squirrel sponsor who will supply beer for Trannies. The team have trophies, but more are always welcome!

So, register your interest in this thread.

Since training and ensuring you have a great race is important. Here are some hot tips from the pros!  

• Open a warm down beer as soon as you cross the line - Always ensure you do a proper warm down as part of every race.
  • Leave a little bit in reserve over the first 3 laps - It is important to come into the transition area feeling good so you can drink your next beer without taking a breath.
  • Make sure your beer is optimum temperature - It is almost impossible to drink a beer in 5 seconds out of an icy cold bottle. Somewhere in the middle between that and warm is good!
  • Train in the lead up to the race - drinking fast with short recovery is a good idea. I recommend 3 or 4 beers as fast as possible with less than 30 seconds rest.
  • Allow some air to get into the bottle - Don’t put your whole mouth around the bottle if you want to drink fast. It is important to let some airflow into the bottle by sitting the beer on your bottom lip, and pouring it down your throat. Pour it down at an angle of close to 45 degrees.
  • Hold Your Breath - Take a deep breath right before you place the bottle or can to your lips. Whatever you do, make sure to not breathe in any air while chugging.
  • Suppress the Urge to Gag - Clutch the thumb of your non-dominant hand. If you're right-handed, clutch your left thumb with your index finger while you drink.

Some Pro Tips! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2M7TL8xGw

Some previous beer miles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKwN7_H-_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuE7xrg42Ik

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 3

Those tips mention bottles, but glass bottles are  forbidden. It’s cans, and if you can wrap your lips around a can and skull it then good luck to you. :yawn:

Thanks Miss Jess for picking up the baton.

Edited by iFoz

OMFG.

Just when I thought this sport couldn't be more awesome!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Thank God I'm not doing ironman this year.  Never again 😁

I don’t I, thought you looked good at Port Mac a few years ago 😆 

13 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Thank God I'm not doing ironman this year.  Never again 😁

Are you doing the enticer, because we also offer a race for the 70.3 finishers.

11 hours ago, iFoz said:

Those tips mention bottles, but glass bottles are  forbidden. It’s cans, and if you can wrap your lips around a can and skull it then good luck to you. :yawn:

Challenge accepted!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iFoz said:

5 hours ago, MissJess said:

Challenge accepted!

I like this girl. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Knowing jess she’s already been down to the local to get a slab of of the Very Best and is giving it a go as we speak :lol:

• Haha 1

I was about to comment, having seen your comment previewed in the new posts list, until I actually entered the thread and see you've taken care of the VB for me.......

The bonus is though, she can use the remainder of the slab to clean down her chain and running gear on her bike.

• Haha 1

The world record is 4.32!. :D

Footnote- a hero of mine Sir Roger Bannister passed away over night. :crybaby:. Do it for Roger. I am looking to do a mile around the track in his honour..

• Sad 1

Good on you Miss Jess and all the Transitions members.

It's time for a change of Race director for Transitions Beer Mile and fortunately Miss Jess has put her hand up with beer entwined and is seeking the glory and panache of being the Transitions Beer Mile Race Director. After much consideration and discussion with the previous Beer Mile RDs over the years, including the instigator Peter Coulson from Melbourne, then Alex from Dubai(?), then RatDog from HillSong Tri Cub and then me from Coffs Harbour Tri Club we welcome Miss Jess into this very prestigious position.

I will be continuing my IMs and will be there in May for the IM and  Beer Mile. Thanks for taking this very worthy event on and I know everyone will support Miss Jess in her RD role and watch as Transitions Beer Mile goes to even greater heights. As Mike Reilley has said on several occasions "I can't believe that you get away with this, right under the Ironman banner and at the finish line. It could only happen in Australia!" 

Good on you Miss Jess! Oh, a word of warning, Miss Jess also comes from HillSong Tri Club and is friends with the PIS club too.

See you in 9 weeks time at Miss Jess's First Transition Beer Mile and IMOz.

• Like 5

Oh my, good work Pete and nice one and Welcome Jess.. Not been on here for a while, some of you may know me as a multi BM finisher.. just a mid fielder..

Not seen one.. well here is the famous 2014 BM from Cairns.. starting "Miss Carrots"

• Haha 1

Gotta say Gizmo that this was the best vid of all Transitions Beer Miles ever. I actually joined Vimeo just so I could access this clip. A bit of a story about that Beer Mile....I had made contact with an insider in Qld Police as to why the police came to the 2 previous BMs held along the Esplanade and I was informed that there are security cameras all the way along recording everything and it is also an alcohol free zone. However, by moving the BM just a little further North and drinking on those small jetty outlooks, we were outside the view of the security people who had rung the Police in the past. Also, the wooden trophy that was awarded to Bevan Colliss was left behind in the hire car at Brisbane Airport, as it was too big to take back to Japan.

Did you also like the tropical fruit and bananas at the start line?....All left over in the rubbish bins from the aid station the night before. As for Carrots, she hasn't been seen at a BM since, but her reputation and hair colouring (carrot red I think) will keep her in posterity for years to come. Also, her friend Bianca Fitzsimons (I think) looked after her on the day and is seen occasionally at IMs but not at BMs..

It was also great to see the very famous RatDog (now FatDog) there, as well as Stikman (now ThickMan) performing for the crowd again. And of course yourself with your Italian Mask that never ages. I think we should look at having a reunion of the original Trannies at Trannie Towers from Challenge Cairns from 2011 for another IM Cairns and Cairns BM. I think this year will be the 7 year itch, so maybe next year for the 8th anniversary.

Greatest video of BM ever, thanks so much and look forward to seeing you again soon?

I did the Challenge Cairns beer mile and I will be going around the IM course  for another spin in 2018...:D

Now that video brought back happy memories. Took the bronze at that one (trophy still proudly displayed), even with a chunder at the end. Top tip: DO NOT go to the pub and smash pints of beer before the Beer Mile...you will see them again!!

Must make an honourable mention to Stikman who hosts the Busso Beer Mile (threw-up at that one too). Foz in his crusader outfit was brilliant, still makes me laugh.

IMOZ beer mile, when we had the stands packed was brilliant. Won Fashions in the Field that day! Stig was there in his finest, Jimbo as Superman, Ratdog and his legendary suit..bloody brilliant memories.

15 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Must make an honourable mention to Stikman who hosts the Busso Beer Mile (threw-up at that one too). Foz in his crusader outfit was brilliant, still makes me laugh.

The motley crew from Busso 2014

41BB831C-D5AC-409F-AB10-A56C64369583.jpeg

• Like 1

On 01/03/2018 at 6:25 PM, iFoz said:

Thanks Miss Jess for picking up the baton.

I just tried, I can't wrap my lips around the can all that easy, my teeth get in the way :lol:

On 27/03/2018 at 5:38 PM, iFoz said:

The motley crew from Busso 2014

41BB831C-D5AC-409F-AB10-A56C64369583.jpeg

I like this one.

Busso BM 2014.jpg

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Stikman said:

@Katz clearly has been stalking me for years.  And @Coffs Pete as you well know it's ThickerMan now.

Or......we've just been doing the same sport, at the same time in the same places for years......you know, either/or.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Katz said:

I like this one.

Busso BM 2014.jpg

I like that one too. I didn’t have one of the full start line. Thanks. 

Hey All!

Just a reminder to get your names on the list for the Beer Mile or Beer Half Mile.

Jess

Miss Jess,

My work IT has blocked your link, so can you add me to the 70.3 list. I have sent you an PM as well - please read.

FM

I currently only have 2 for each race, come step up to the major leagues people! Sunday is not the real race, Monday is the real race!

This is what you will be vying for (this is the IM mug from 2016) ...

FM

Beer Mile 2016_4.jpg

• Like 2

Miss Jess,

What’s the expected start time for the main race ?(🍺🍺🍺🍺)

Hey guys! 

3pm at the Town Green! I have been told we cannot use all of the finish chute to the arch.

Message me if you can help me with the course setting (this is my first time).

Will be my first but I can help if needed. Private message if you want

Just a few quick questions I’m new to this?

Bottles or Cans or both ?

How many millilitres must they be?

Can you use cider lnstead of beer?

Is the Main and Enticer in the same race ?

Edited by Geri

375 ml cans. No glass. Cider is ok provided it’s not non alcoholic ( if you can stomach it).We all go off together. Dress up is mandatory. 3 prizes for the main and 1 winner for 70.3. Fashions in the field award is for everyone. 

FM

6 minutes ago, Flanman said:

375 ml cans.

Unless they're provided by Ironman in which case they'll be the 330ml variety. I'll still claim a PB drinking them.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, trickle said:

Unless they're provided by Ironman in which case they'll be the 330ml variety. I'll still claim a PB drinking them.

That’s akin to cutting the course. Lol

FM

• Haha 1

Yep i will be there for the Full mile shuffling along  couldn't add my name 

Edited by Azza27

No probs. Sorry just rising now after being on the chute waiting for the last finisher.

Next race - 3pm on Monday 7 May. I don’t think I have trained enough for this. Just like the 70.3, I will however, walk though the drinks stations. 

See you all there. 

FM

The Beer Mile was done and won. Sharkies were supreme. Sun down on Town Green. 

FM

36FEB8F5-85F5-4646-A6D8-EB76EFFEBE69.jpeg

• Like 3

Congrats Miss Jess for organising the Beer Mile. Great fun and a huge crowd. A good turnout of around 16 athletes. Very proud for your 1st effort as Race Director.  

FM

• Like 2

Thanks! So photos and videos are coming in. If someone can give me an album on the Transitions facebook page I will get uploading.

42 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Thanks! So photos and videos are coming in. If someone can give me an album on the Transitions facebook page I will get uploading.

Could you please post a few here? I'm non Faceache 

• Thanks 1

Just got home from Port.

Here are a few snaps from the "Main Event". Identities will remain a secret unless people want to out themselves. Great fun, and Sharkie was a deserved winner.

P5070115.jpg

P5070116.jpg

P5070117.jpg

P5070118.jpg

P5070119.jpg

P5070121.jpg

P5070122.jpg

P5070124.jpg

P5070125.jpg

P5070126.jpg

P5070127.jpg

P5070128.jpg