Bored@work

Mental Health Excuse

I don't want to tarnish the mental health thread because there is some awesome content in there.

My family battles & experience with mental health is well documented so this is not an attack on people with mental health issues at all.

Reading the Rotto cheating thread / Mark Robson comments and a few other people who have been caught out being dicks.

Is it just me or does it shit other people, when people play the Mental Health card as an excuse for being a dick. Or trying to justify their decision. Then put the guilt on other if they commit suicide.

"message from a mate of Marks (Tim Silbert) saying I would be responsible if he killed himself. Note I merely stated that Mark should not be allowed to compete, there was nothing personal; or derogatory, in my post"

Look, it's a tough line this one really?  It does come out a lot, and I think an awful lot of people feel it's cheapened by its overuse.  But I can see both sides of the story, having had family members seriously affected, and my father jailed when the simple reality was he should never have seen a second inside due to his significant  mental health condition that, while being treated for mental health issues, was undiagnosed until he went away!  And with some of the stuff going on with my son who is the loveliest, most considerate kid who seems like he can turn into the devil.

Yet I feel like I agree with you on its overuse. Myself, I prefer to blame me for my **** ups....

2 minutes ago, goughy said:

Look, it's a tough line this one really?  It does come out a lot, and I think an awful lot of people feel it's cheapened by its overuse.  But I can see both sides of the story, having had family members seriously affected, and my father jailed when the simple reality was he should never have seen a second inside due to his significant  mental health condition that, while being treated for mental health issues, was undiagnosed until he went away!  And with some of the stuff going on with my son who is the loveliest, most considerate kid who seems like he can turn into the devil.

Yet I feel like I agree with you on its overuse. Myself, I prefer to blame me for my **** ups....

Yep I totally get it. I have woken up in the middle of the night to find my wife trying to cut our unborn baby out of her stomach. It took me a while to work up the courage to post this question as I knew it could be interpreted the wrong way. Mental Health is a bitch & fks so many people up.

I think this is why it pisses me off so much when I see people throw it around as an excuse.

If Shelley had a duty of care & was worried about mental health she wouldn't be going after people who got out of the water during sharkgate. What about their mental health?

Celebrities are to blame, footy players and high profile figures who simply act the fool and get caught out play the mental health card to try and avoid scrutiny and criticism. 

It is turning it into the "boy who cried wolf effect" for everyone else. 

• Like 2

Yeah mental health and sex addiction are the standard fallback for celebs caught doing the wrong thing.... although most of them will end up with mental health issues later on due to the amount of drugs they put into themselves....

• Like 2

I consider it the Andrew Johns defence!  

10+ years ago caught out an employee claiming to have mental health issues while she skipped out on work, travelled the country and had no issues at all with going to concerts, eating out at fancy restaurants while claiming to have anxiety caused by crowds as one of many issues - all letters from psychologists etc turned out to be fraudulently produced by her.

Cops turn up, arrest her, she goes to court and stands up and says she has mental health issues and isn't responsible for her actions.  Not a skeric of a professional opinion tendered, court accepted her version of events and places her on suspended 12 month community service order, not a single mention of being required to seek professional help.  The whole process was like a deli line at coles - Next!!!!

Cops weren't interested in appealing, apparently back then they saw the writing on the wall and selected which battles to fight - and I can't blame them.  We're becoming more Americanised every day worrying more about our rights than our responsibilities

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

"message from a mate of Marks (Tim Silbert) saying I would be responsible if he killed himself. Note I merely stated that Mark should not be allowed to compete, there was nothing personal; or derogatory, in my post"

BW, what Tim sent is totally inappropriate and offensive to me. Especially given what you posted. Best advise would be ignore it if you can.

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

BW, what Tim sent is totally inappropriate and offensive to me. Especially given what you posted. Best advise would be ignore it if you can.

Yep already have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Celebrities are to blame, footy players and high profile figures who simply act the fool and get caught out play the mental health card to try and avoid scrutiny and criticism. 

I agree - too many high profile people use the mental health & sex addict card as an excuse for anything & everything. Then when they  'issue an apology' its never "Im sorry, I was wrong" its always a carefully scripted statement & completely empty. 

Having family with mental health issues, that cr*p offends me to my core

he does sound like he does have a psychological condition,perhaps low self esteem, or something else, for going to such lengths as an amateur to cheat.  but it wouldn't classify as any serious medical condition.  He shouldn't be given any sort of pass for what he has done. even most of those who murder don't get a pass when they claim poor 'mental health'. 

Having a mental health condition doesn't necessarily mean you become a thief, or violent and abusive, or cheat etc.  It's easy to use a generic label.  But that covers a friggin huge scope of conditions.

Then you have the volume of people self diagnosing!  I remember them well from the ADHD forums. Never ever visited a therapist, never ever had a formal diagnosis, self medicating with anything from copious amounts of cola or red bull to marijuana and other elicit drugs!  

What exactly are we to believe?

I think people confuse "explain" and "excuse". Mental health issues may form part of the explanation for your actions, but should they excuse it?

I think it is a very difficult scenario and needs to be assessed on a case by case basis. Diminished responsibility due to mental health is often going to be very difficult to assess.

• Like 1

Work avoidance lends itself to all sorts of alleged conditions. Some of it legit, some not.

6 hours ago, roxii said:

Yep. Gary Lyon. Slept with a mates wife. Got caught and said he was suffering mental health issues. 

Thats the day I decided it's a bullshit excuse. 

Sure, everyone suffers some form of mental health issues. But several out there use it as an excuse to justify wrongdoing.  

• Like 1

I wonder how long until George pell claims mental illness so he can avoid jail over child abuse. 

78 years old. 

On 01/03/2018 at 4:10 PM, Bored@work said:

If Sex addict was a real condition every 15 & 16 year boy would be in care.

50% of the population are sex addicts. The other half are female.

On 01/03/2018 at 12:30 PM, surfer101 said:

I agree - too many high profile people use the mental health & sex addict card as an excuse for anything & everything. Then when they  'issue an apology' its never "Im sorry, I was wrong" its always a carefully scripted statement & completely empty. 

Having family with mental health issues, that cr*p offends me to my core

I wonder if Barnaby will end up.going here

• Like 1