Peter

Light headed

So last week i got blood pressure down ne at dr.   All good. 

But i get times that when i squat down to pick something up like kids toys, when i stand up i go extremely light headed and have to stand still as i feel like im about to pass out. 

The Dr just said its one of those things. Maybe food related. Ie hungry. 

But i ate food at 12 and it just happened when i was picking up some computer cables on the ground at work. 

Anyone?

How fit are you?  If your heart rate is low I've read it takes longer to get blood back to your head from laying down or bending over.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

How fit are you?  If your heart rate is low I've read it takes longer to get blood back to your head from laying down or bending over.

This.

I used to get it often when I was fit. But then again, this is Peter we're talking about

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This.

I used to get it often when I was fit. But then again, this is Peter we're talking about

That' why I asked.  I didn't want to assume...

You don't have to be fit.

I get it as a side effect of my BP meds - they lower the BP and similar change from sit to stand or lie to stand can have the same result.

Usually it's only a couple of seconds before normal function is resumed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

This. 

Prior to my leg shit, I had to be very careful about that sort of thing at work. Had to hang on to stuff a couple of times because I was going to fall over. 

I have had this "feeling faint when standing up quickly" thing regularly for the last 20 years at least. Checked this with a doctor years ago. He checked my blood pressure - fine. Said it was nothing to worry about.

I have a resting heart rate around 50. Fit most of the time but nowhere near peak-fitness.

One morning I stood up out of bed and had that dizzy feeling. Thought I would see what would happen if I didn't sit down or hold anything. Ended up crashing into a bamboo bookcase three times and bringing it down on me. Scared the shit out of my Mrs; she thought I was having a heart attack.

I am fit just not fast.

Resting Hr is 46

I do have another issue I discussed with the dr.  When I train, the longer I go the more Saliva I produce.  To the point if I run for 90mins It's so think I have trouble spitting it out.

He gave it a name and it was related to a low HR.

He said deal with it.  I was hoping to get on HGH or something to sort it out.  But alas.  Nothing

26 minutes ago, Peter said:

I do have another issue I discussed with the dr.  When I train, the longer I go the more Saliva I produce.  To the point if I run for 90mins It's so think I have trouble spitting it out.

Apparently progesterone works on this. Maybe you should get the doctor to put you on a course?

56 minutes ago, Peter said:

So that's what Bored meant when he said you were a swallower.

• Confused 1

Yeah i get this also, my blood pressure is good, last resting H/R was 53, i just stand still for a few seconds when it happens.  never thought much about it actually, but definitely linked to getting up to quick, ive never noticed it any other time.

Another thing that happens often is when i sneeze, i get these things flying around in front of my vision, the best way to describe it is its like those fireworks that shoot up and then when it explodes little bits go darting every direction all over the place.  after a few seconds its all good again.

Yep, just when you get up too quick after squatting or bending down, very common.

• Like 1

I suppose you wouldn't want to know that there is a growing body of evidence to link dizziness when standing as a result of change in blood pressure and dementia?  Nah, forget I said it.

32 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Another thing that happens often is when i sneeze, i get these things flying around in front of my vision, the best way to describe it is its like those fireworks that shoot up and then when it explodes little bits go darting every direction all over the place.  after a few seconds its all good again.

I get swimming. In a pool 🏊 I don't care. 

In open water it freaks me out. Not sure if it's the usual or a fish 

11 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

I suppose you wouldn't want to know that there is a growing body of evidence to link dizziness when standing as a result of change in blood pressure and dementia?  Nah, forget I said it.

You read too much.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yep, me too. Also sometimes get it walking up stairs - I do think I need to drink more water though, so it could be I’m not hydrated enough.

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

If its true, won't we all forget anyway?

I think I get it but the thread is so long I've forgotten what we are talking about.

I've been light headed since the 1980's. Don't remember much of the 70s and 80s.

Its just a low blood pressure issue......but mostly if it's normal it can be a combination of fitness and food.

I suspect you get it when you stand up quickly!

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Its just a low blood pressure issue......but mostly if it's normal it can be a combination of fitness and food.

I suspect you get it when you stand up quickly!

I know it's not this. Been tested. Blood pressure perfect. 

Mentioned in this thread...blood pressure is 'good', blood pressure is 'perfect', blood pressure is 'fine'

What is good, perfect, fine blood pressure? The last 2 BP tests I've had were 120/80 and then this week 130/80 ( and the Dr said BP was good ). As I was wondering what the numbers meant ( other than the technical side ), I asked Dr Google - he /she told me that 130/80 was Stage 1 Hypertension. I should stop drinking, smoking, do more exercise and eat right!

38 minutes ago, softy said:

I asked Dr Google - he /she told me that 130/80 was Stage 1 Hypertension. I should stop drinking, smoking, do more exercise and eat right!

But last year it wouldn't have been. They changed the criteria recently as to what is referred to as Hypertension/High blood pressure.