Jump to content
Flanman

Woolongong Tri - 18 March

Recommended Posts

The Gong Standard is an ITU qualifier this year. The whole festival is on the 17 and 18 March. I will be there after my TdC ride.

I have been told by a local guy that the path along the beach is closed due to council works. Not too sure if will be open or not by race date. It not, it may be a run (twice) up the Novatel hill. Will be an interesting race if this is the case.

FM

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work backing up tour de cure ride with the gong, are you just giving mere mortals like me a chance ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2018 at 11:27 AM, Flanman said:

The Gong Standard is an ITU qualifier this year. The whole festival is on the 17 and 18 March. I will be there after my TdC ride.

I have been told by a local guy that the path along the beach is closed due to council works. Not too sure if will be open or not by race date. It not, it may be a run (twice) up the Novatel hill. Will be an interesting race if this is the case.

FM

 

  

The path between North Beach and the Harbour will be closed for another 12 months. You'll be doing the hill for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The map is up. Looks like we run towards the lighthouse then south - two laps. 

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in for the sprint. Both the standard and the sprint have 3 laps for the bike. Seems odd for the sprint as it could easily be held on two laps - less congested and less times up THAT hill, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a waste of cycling the last 2 months. I did  my back in 2 days ago. Helping someone Out by cleaning their backyard and moved something heavy.  I am out of the Gong. Hopefully Port is still on the horizon.Gutted. 

FM

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Physio today. I may head down on Sunday to pick up my $150 tshirt plus say hello to a few. This includes an old school mate from the Gong is trying to get through cancer treatment. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its going to be farking hot on Sunday by the time the sprint race kicks off ... 😓 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2018 at 3:53 AM, Flanman said:

What a waste of cycling the last 2 months. I did  my back in 2 days ago. Helping someone Out by cleaning their backyard and moved something heavy.  I am out of the Gong. Hopefully Port is still on the horizon.Gutted. 

FM

Shit! So sorry to hear that. 

No good deed goes unpunished! :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm out, spent the day at the hospital. My son had an laparoscopic appendicectomy and he wants me there all night. Ah well there will be other races

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Clappers said:

I'm out, spent the day at the hospital. My son had an laparoscopic appendicectomy and he wants me there all night. Ah well there will be other races

 

It's only sport,,,,,,

Good call, they never forget (nor should they).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clappers said:

I'm out, spent the day at the hospital. My son had an laparoscopic appendicectomy and he wants me there all night. Ah well there will be other races

Tough choice but you've made the right one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Tough choice but you've made the right one

There is not really a choice to be made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

There is not really a choice to be made?

How was Dazzs special birthday cranky...? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

warm down here  wind is starting to pick up.

First wave off. 

FM

40A61FFA-07CF-43B2-9AB0-12F6E0BD236A.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big 50+ men’s field. M shaped course so a bit of biffo  expected. 

FM

FE25B7D4-AA16-4F13-A096-7B63A95137BD.jpeg

Edited by Flanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please help me find my friend.  I hope she's finished in a good time......

Screenshot_2018-03-18-09-03-17.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible story.

I was talking to a bloke this morning at the race. He was wearing a moon boot. He said that he sustained a stress fracture a year ago at Mooloolaba. It was miss diagnosed. Later his bones collapsed. He has had 3 operations and is having another tomorrow. I can’t believe it - they are removing most of his ankle due to the damage. I was dumb struck. I have never heard of this before. I can’t remember exactly but he said something like a 40% chance of not walking again. All this from a stress fracture. 

And I complain. Geez ..

FM 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday sure was a hot run for the Olympic distance. I was fading fast (or should that be slow) on the second lap. The sprint distance starting around 11:30  must have suffered even worse.

And thank you Emo for the fruit salad and ice cream at the end of the event. Much appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Flanman said:

Incredible story.

I was talking to a bloke this morning at the race. He was wearing a moon boot. He said that he sustained a stress fracture a year ago at Mooloolaba. It was miss diagnosed. Later his bones collapsed. He has had 3 operations and is having another tomorrow. I can’t believe it - they are removing most of his ankle due to the damage. I was dumb struck. I have never heard of this before. I can’t remember exactly but he said something like a 40% chance of not walking again. All this from a stress fracture. 

And I complain. Geez ..

FM 

I wont name names, but a while ago I had a mate that did very well in IM (I mean really well as an AG, beat a lot of Pros'). He suffered a Stress Fracture in his shins. As he was attending a training session in preparation for Kona, his coach told him to just push through. At this time another athlete who was coached by the same guy and was at this discussion resulted in her blowing up and tearing strips off the coach for giving such stupid advice, in front of everyone. She was a doctor and quoted the damage could definitely progress to not walking again.

Funny think was the coach shrugged it off and told him to just take it easy and complete the session .... :wallbash:  Lucky he took the doctors advice and went home and rested for while.

 

He recovered well and did ok at Kona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×