Sign in to follow this  
beginnergirl

Who is in the wrong?

Both partly.

Old mate pedestrian ducking between cars doesn't seem to check once he begins his trot from the middle.

Old mate cyclists is probably going a bit quick in a lane splitting situation like that.

Neither really seems to be fully aware of their surroundings and possibilities.

Is lane filtering allowed in Melbourne (it is in Brisbane)? Cyclist was probably going too fast, but the old dude was also running & not looking where he was going. I had a similar incident here a few years ago, but was only going about 10km/h, so neither of us got hurt, but it shocks the hell out of both parties.

Note, the road rules in Qld allow motorbikes to "lane filter" at up to 30km/h. That would have done a lot more damage to the old fart.

Mind you it wouldn't have been as good a headline grabber as having another dig at cyclists is

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is lane filtering allowed in Melbourne (it is in Brisbane)?

Motorbikes are, not sure on cyclists, might be that they need to be on the left of the traffic unless planning on turning right at the lights,  Filtering also has to be at the speed to avoid these sort of issues, heaps of times where I've had to deal with situations where cars were pulling into the traffic, idiots changing lanes without looking etc, but never had to deal with pedestrians who for the most part hear the motorbike before they see it

Agree it's a case of both at fault

Looks like punt road, not exactly a great spot to be commuting by bike on either

pedestrian broke the law by not crossing at lights. cyclist obeyed traffic laws. case closed. 

• Like 2

The pedestrian is clearly at fault for not checking that the road was clear of vehicles.  No further correspondence should be entered into.

Prince - technically you are not correct... the pedestrian was the required distance from the marked crossing.  It is not an offence to cross a road away from a pedestrian crossing.  Depending on the state laws, it could be 30 metres from the crossing for example.

4 minutes ago, BC_J400 said:

Prince - technically you are not correct... the pedestrian was the required distance from the marked crossing.  It is not an offence to cross a road away from a pedestrian crossing.  Depending on the state laws, it could be 30 metres from the crossing for example.

oh darn.  case reopened. 

18 minutes ago, BC_J400 said:

True, but only when safe to do so.  It's common in cases like this that the actions of both parties need to be taken into account.  There was no check for oncoming traffic after each lane

8 hours ago, Prince said:

pedestrian broke the law by not crossing at lights. cyclist obeyed traffic laws. case closed. 

You'll also notice the old guy trips before the cyclist hits him.  Maybe why he didn't look and see him coming on the bike.  He was looking where he was going to fall.

I see this daily on collins street.  Bike in bike lane and people just step out.

Turning left from Spencer street into Flinders lane I could nail someone weekly if I want.  They just step out and don't give a shit. Note: I'd be in the wrong as I am a vehicle turning left and have to give way.  But people still never look. It only takes one car not looking to get killed.

About 2 years ago a girl got run over and killed by a garbage truck.  She never looked.  Stepped out.  Driver couldn't see her as he was so high and her low.  Dead.

8 hours ago, Prince said:

luckily it wasn't a motorcycle. pedestrian would be dead. 

Doesn't need to be a motorbike. I remember one of the St Kilda races back in the early 90s and one of the guns of the era hitting a pedestrian coming out from the Palace ... killed him instantly. From memory, it put the gun into hospital for a long time.

• Sad 1

It upsets me that this is even a thing... the cyclist was obeying the law, the pedestrian walked out in front of them. I would be after them for a new bike and any time off work straight away!