BogFrog

Mooloolaba Start Waves

That's me on the front. Pulling a train it seems.

Screenshot_2018-03-13-10-48-13.png

Screenshot_2018-03-13-10-47-58.png

Why do people not put the calf marking on? Is it deliberate so others don’t know what age group you are in. Or is it something else. Should at the very least be a start stop penalty. 

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

That's me on the front. Pulling a train it seems.

Where were you when I needed you?!?   That wind showed up my lack of bike work big time... 

But in all seriousness, I didn't see any blatant cheating out there when I was out.  Saw one guy being spoken to by a TO - for blocking I presume, but he looked like a newbie and probably didn't really know (was wearing shorts and a t-shirt)

25 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

Why do people not put the calf marking on? Is it deliberate so others don’t know what age group you are in. Or is it something else. Should at the very least be a start stop penalty. 

agree, I always wear it.  Though I dont normally care what people have on their calf if they are in front they are a target.  If they are behind i've already passed them.

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

BTW maybe a good thing it was last weekend and not this weekend hey..

Yes, Linda may be on the way.

4 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yes, Linda may be on the way.

They named it after my exes mum! :lol: AWESOME!

Edited by MissJess

I thought calf sleeves were Ok, but SOCKS werent

On 12/03/2018 at 6:27 AM, RunBrettRun said:

I'm not going to highlight individual performances but yes it had minutes difference from the earlier waves unless a whole heap of people in the earlier waves improved minutes and others in later waves had worse days than their recent results would expect them to have.

I executed as well as I possibly could have yesterday, it was night and day from a week ago at coffs, I managed to get within a minute of a guy who put 3min on me at coffs last week which is about where I thought I was at.  

7th in my age group is definitely what I am taking away from this race.

Well done to everyone who has managed to qualify off their result in this race.  

What AG were you Brett?

On 12/03/2018 at 7:45 AM, mhvh said:

You are right about the cheating on the bike.  It was out of control. TOs seemed to be letting them get away with it more than usual too. 

You don't go to races like Mooloolaba expecting a fair race.  Most of the races I pick I expect no cheating but I honestly didn't think twice about the lines of bikes on Sunday.   I paced about 30 meters behind a bloke for the 20k home on Sunday and that was nice.  Normally it's solo the whole way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turts said:

I thought calf sleeves were Ok, but SOCKS werent

For  non wetsuit swim. No coverage below the knee, unless you are subject to an extra rule which allows for modesty for (essentially) female Islamic competitors. 

That rule says that if you are covered below the knee, it needs to be unbroken (so knee is to be covered) and you are also to be covered up top to the wrist. So covered almost completely, apart from hands and feet, the very few Islamic women who do compete tend to wear those Burkinis.

18 hours ago, ashley_s said:

I wondered this too

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

For  non wetsuit swim. No coverage below the knee, unless you are subject to an extra rule which allows for modesty for (essentially) female Islamic competitors. 

That rule says that if you are covered below the knee, it needs to be unbroken (so knee is to be covered) and you are also to be covered up top to the wrist. So covered almost completely, apart from hands and feet, the very few Islamic women who do compete tend to wear those Burkinis.

http://www.triathlon.org.au/State_Associations/NSW/About_Us/Latest_News/NSW_Technical_Officials__Technical_Advice__Calf_Socks_vs__Calf_Sleeves.htm

Calf Sleeves (also known as calf guards)

Calf sleeves are comprised of 100% textile material and provide compression forces on the calves. The fabric does not cover the toes and therefore the calf sleeve does not provide a competitive advantage in the swim leg.

RCR Rule 1.1 (o) allows calf sleeves to be worn at any time during an event, including during a non-wetsuit swim.

Interesting, oh well, lets put it in the same bucket as drafting, as different TOs are applying that rule differently too.

21 hours ago, ashley_s said:

I screwed up my decals  (at 4:30 am) with them adhering to the plastic backing and refusing to transfer to my skin (i had even shaved a strip on my arm for it :( ). So at transition check in I reported to the trouble table and a lady there numbered my right arm and leg cat'ed me the old fashioned way - with a niko pen. And I saw her do a couple of other people as well.

It is the competitor's responsibility to comply with the rues on the day, and yes this was a rule so perhaps it should be added to the long list for the overworked TO's ( eg no admittance to trans area (that is how I did it as an RD) or perhaps swim start....).

But I think drafting is a bigger problem, AA7 should get a time credit for the extra work done :) ( though as I recall having a wheel sucker actually reduces the drag if they are close enough ( hence best spot in a teams TT is 3rd out of the four)....)

I have created a complete copy of the full ind results in excel format with the following columns (splits and places/cat places for each leg - for easy of sorting and analysis):

PM me if you'd like it emailed to you.

place Bib first last oa time category O/A Cat plc swim oa swim cat swim t1 bike oa bike cat bike t2 run oa run cat run gender gender plc dq/dnf flag
Edited by trifun