BogFrog

Mooloolaba Start Waves

6 hours ago, pieman said:

76% humidity apparently... 26kph southerly.. (36kph Saturday)

Spoilsportūüėõ

So does anyone think the conditions had any impact on their points accumulations today?  I had one of the latest starts.  It was wet and windy.  From what I can tell the early waves had wet and windy conditions.

Everyone happy?

I really don’t see what the change in  conditions could have been. It was wet then dry the wet again, and windy throughout. But looking at the times I was 9th in 35-39 but would have been 2nd in 40-44 which started an hour later.  

20 minutes ago, SpeedySteve said:

So does anyone think the conditions had any impact on their points accumulations today?  I had one of the latest starts.  It was wet and windy.  From what I can tell the early waves had wet and windy conditions.

Everyone happy?

I dont think RBR is

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpeedySteve said:

Everyone happy?

Yes, I think it had some impact. The age groups should have been racing closer together. I think we all had wind on the return leg. Some waves got pretty dry riding conditions, others soaked. Some got rain on their run, others got a bit of sun. But it wasn't as bad as it could've been. I reckon I lost 2 mins at most, probably less (1 min ?) (no idea re differing swim conditions)

I'm not going to highlight individual performances but yes it had minutes difference from the earlier waves unless a whole heap of people in the earlier waves improved minutes and others in later waves had worse days than their recent results would expect them to have.

I executed as well as I possibly could have yesterday, it was night and day from a week ago at coffs, I managed to get within a minute of a guy who put 3min on me at coffs last week which is about where I thought I was at.  

7th in my age group is definitely what I am taking away from this race.

Well done to everyone who has managed to qualify off their result in this race.  

The 40-44 women were one of the last waves (maybe the last) and quite a few of them had absolute blinders. They had a bit more wind but a dry road, swings and roundabouts 

From what i saw a number of good performances would be due to blatant team time trialling and nothing to do with changed weather or conditions

23 minutes ago, -H- said:

The 40-44 women were one of the last waves (maybe the last) and quite a few of them had absolute blinders. They had a bit more wind but a dry road, swings and roundabouts 

We were the last wave did not have a dry road. It rained for the whole 20km return leg and stopped for the run. 

The age group had blinders as it's a very strong field. If you compare their times yesterday to what they normally get it isn't out of place. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pieman said:

From what i saw a number of good performances would be due to blatant team time trialling and nothing to do with changed weather or conditions

You are right about the cheating on the bike.  It was out of control. TOs seemed to be letting them get away with it more than usual too. 

• Like 1

Film the packs. DQ the packs. Next race, no more packs.

Problem solved. Next.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mhvh said:

You are right about the cheating on the bike.  It was out of control. TOs seemed to be letting them get away with it more than usual too. 

Agree - a pack of 6 or 7 passed me -- and 2 mins later at TO came past and stayed with the group for ages -- the group didn't even try to pretend they weren't drafting - and I thought surely the whole pack should be stopped -- but no -- the TO bike drove on...not one got a penalty --- Didn't even see anyone in any of the penalty boxes

I wonder who they're getting for TO's these days?  I did it a few times, and every event I was at was short of numbers, to the point some motorbikes were going out with no TO on the back.  And if they're getting fresh ones all the time, well they possibly don't feel like they have the experience to do it heavy handed, which it kinda needs.  And while many here will say just pull the whole pack over, and some here have actually done that, it's not what they will be being told to do.  If we want serious TO's who are gonna keep the game as fair as possible, then pay them properly!  We need to demand that of TA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youngy2 said:

Agree - a pack of 6 or 7 passed me -- and 2 mins later at TO came past and stayed with the group for ages -- the group didn't even try to pretend they weren't drafting - and I thought surely the whole pack should be stopped -- but no -- the TO bike drove on...not one got a penalty --- Didn't even see anyone in any of the penalty boxes

Was the worst I've ever seen it. Mainly back into the headwind surprisingly.. seemed to me like plenty of motorbikes going up and down but they're all Harleys which you could hear coming 2km away..

3 hours ago, BogFrog said:

We were the last wave did not have a dry road. It rained for the whole 20km return leg and stopped for the run. 

The age group had blinders as it's a very strong field. If you compare their times yesterday to what they normally get it isn't out of place. 

I had a dry bike leg but wet run. I got wet shoes, slowed me down ‚ėļ

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I had a dry bike leg but wet run. I got wet shoes, slowed me down ‚ėļ

by 4 or 5 seconds?

37 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

by 4 or 5 seconds?

At least 10 seconds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Was the worst I've ever seen it. Mainly back into the headwind surprisingly.. seemed to me like plenty of motorbikes going up and down but they're all Harleys which you could hear coming 2km away..

Agreed. And scanning quickly through the results last night there's some bike splits there that are, well let's just say, almost too good to be true. Same at Luke Harrop a couple of weeks ago. Seems like the offer of double points for Worlds had a lot of people taking the 'whatever it takes' mentality.

• Like 1

Race report I just read on instagram from someone in an earlier wave.  Nothing like what I experienced.

In fact one of the guys from port I stayed with and started in my wave we both commented it was probably the cleanest race we had ever participated in apart from 1 or 2 athletes that I saw when I was riding it was very very open.

Australian Triathlon Championships today in Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast and the weather gods were kind to us Melbournians. Rain and wind was the forecast and it did not disappoint. With around 250 in my age group there were 3x wave starts and the race became a time trial, getting to the finish line with a good time. I had a great swim and exited the water 3rd in my wave. It was non-wetsuit swim due to the water temp which I enjoyed. The bike course was crowded and once again a draft fest. You had to be careful not to be found in a compromising position when a draft buster passed you. Tail wind out and strong head wind back. A little tactical and you had to save a fair bit for the 2nd half. 

Edited by RunBrettRun

I started at 7.08 and rode through most of the field. There were only a handful of people blankly wheel sucking. There were some long lines of people especially on the way back. But most of these had fairly large gaps between riders maybe not 10m in all cases but a good few bike lengths.

I started at 7.48 and hit the motorway at sometime around 8.45ish. I saw what I thought to be a Sunday bunchie coming towards me :whistling:

Edited by MissJess

Hey guys, whats the current ruling on calf sleeves in QLD? I saw heaps of people wearing them for a non-wetsuit swim, and as far as I was aware, TA have them banned when there is no wettie.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Hey guys, whats the current ruling on calf sleeves in QLD? I saw heaps of people wearing them for a non-wetsuit swim, and as far as I was aware, TA have them banned when there is no wettie.

They banned drafting too. :)

I think the TOs up here are still trying to recover from Nipple-gate, and the stuff-ups with the skin-suits the other week. Probably too scared to nail anyone for something like that.

• Haha 1

The morning of the race I saw one of the TOs go up to a guy who was at his bike in transition and wearing calf sleeves, and tell him that he wouldn't be allowed to wear them.  He said he knew, that he was only wearing them to keep his calves warm...

42 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

The morning of the race I saw one of the TOs go up to a guy who was at his bike in transition and wearing calf sleeves, and tell him that he wouldn't be allowed to wear them.  He said he knew, that he was only wearing them to keep his calves warm...

It was a chilly morning.