So I slipped at home on 5th Feb at 5am which resulted in a dislocated and fractured left wrist. Had surgery the next day to have a plate and screws put in. Then had a half cast put on. 

Went back on Wednesday arvo just gone 21st Feb for a full cast to be put on. It’s a fibreglass one although I still can’t get it wet due to the surgery wound. 

Pain was manageable till I got the full cast on. Last night and today the pain has increased with nothing helping. Pain over the fracture site almost feels like someone has put a set of vice grips on my wrist. 

But the cast isn’t too tight. I actually think it’s too loose. I think I have up to about 10mm of movement where the wrist can move up and down. Pain is horrible. 

Should I go back to the fracture clinic first thing Monday morning and have looked at and possibly redone???

Pain is terrible and although it’s my weak hand due to work I need it to be functioning when it’s healrd with no issues or I will end up being non operational. 

Thoughts????

Thanks in advance. 

Thommo

Id go back and get it looked at. An increaseese i pain like that cant be good.

Maybe because it's looser, and less forgiving as a full fb cast its knocking around a bit?

If say it checked.  Once i had a bad one after an ankle.reco.  it was banging around in the staples on the wound. Easy fix.

When I had a plate and screws in my collarbone 6 weeks ago, the day or two after surgery hurt way way WAY more than initially breaking it.  I'm talking 11 on a scale from 1-10, while breaking it only rated a 2-3. I honestly thought the surgeon had done something drastically wrong.  Endone did nothing. but ice was a huge relief.  Within 2 days, it settled right down.  But you are many days after, maybe a screw or two moved so get it checked?  I was told to do nothing that would risk sudden force on my collarbone for 6 weeks.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

It's certainly not uncommon for a cast to be applied in a less than ideal manner.  A second opinion is always good.

My wife makes a lot of casts for hand and wrist injuries. From overhearing her conversations and comments pain usually comes because the cast needs a small adjustment or the patient has been non compliant - ie not wearing the cast, overuse instead of rest, falling off a table when dancing drunk and landing on the wrist (that last one was only revealed by the patients partner not the patient complaining of the pain when there was none before :huh:)

Hi Thommo, Gundy's wife here!  That is a bit concerning that you had a sudden increase in pain.  We usually use thermoplastic splints, which can be easily adjusted.  Are you seeing a hand therapist in conjunction with your surgeon?  My advice would be to get it checked ASAP.  Hope that helps :) 

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

Mrs Gundy, Got it looked at and they said it was fine. Well a nurse did. Fracture clinic wouldn’t see me and had me go to a walk in centre. Saw my GP the next day who was disgusted with them. 

Im trying to not use it for anything.  I have attached a x Ray pic of the break. Quite sore tonight over the wrist. Mainly across the top. The whole top of the wrist. It swells a fair amount during the day and goes down at night. Sounds silly but I’m craving ice on it! But that won’t do much with a cast on it. 

Mum back to the fracture clinic to have the cast removed on 21st March so just hoping all is good with it as my job sort of depends on it when I tend to have to wrestle shit bags etc. but stressed about it. 

Only good thing is it will be off for my 40th birthday on 23rd March. 

EC74DD37-B060-4CBA-98F0-D4E8D514FB71.jpeg

1 hour ago, thommo said:

Only good thing is it will be off for my 40th birthday on 23rd March. 

You'll be too weak to hold a beer! :(