Sign in to follow this  
japay1

Mornington/Frankston Cycle

Hey guys. Just moved down to the Frankston/Mornington area and am keen to get out on the bike. I've had a look at the Nepean between Frankston/Mornington but am not too keen on that. Looking for some pretty quiet route recommendations (where I'm from I usually just ride on very, very quiet roads where only people who live on them drive typically). Any recommendations/routes/groups would be appreciated. Cheers!

Try it on a Saturday morning, plenty of other cyclists out and a bit more safety in numbers.  There are rides up around Canadian bay road, two bays road that are a bit quieter and get a bit of hills in.  Alternatively some rides down Red Hill / Arthurs Seat out the back to Flinders might be more your go.

As for groups, MPTC used to do rides, check out their website to see if and when they still do them.  Been almost 10 years for me but Brian Vernon always kept the group in check.  Being a club might need to join though

• Thanks 1

Are you in Frankston or Mornington?  If Morno you would never need to ride on that road because you would always head south 😂 but from Frankston you do have fewer options. I've just moved from Morno to Frankston South and initially I was trying to avoid nepean highway too, but it's actually fine. There's a good bike lane and lots of other cyclists.

Coming back to Frankston from the south I sometimes go Derril Rd and then up Two Bays and down Humphreys for a bit of a change. Or turn at Mt Eliza Way and follow that through until it rejoins the highway, but that has a couple of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings so best in the early morning.

Happy to join you for some rides and show you around if you like :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MPTC schedule this week, FYC is Frankston Yacht Club. I have no idea where they go, how fast etc because I don't ride with them any more. 

Team Barefoot (Steve Foster's) group meet at Mornington Park on Saturday mornings and Tuesday afternoons usually as well. Trispecify guys ride Wednesday mornings and Sunday mornings from Mornington 

Screenshot_2018-02-24-07-20-26.jpg

Edited by -H-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, -H- said:

Are you in Frankston or Mornington?  If Morno you would never need to ride on that road because you would always head south 😂 but from Frankston you do have fewer options. I've just moved from Morno to Frankston South and initially I was trying to avoid nepean highway too, but it's actually fine. There's a good bike lane and lots of other cyclists.

Coming back to Frankston from the south I sometimes go Derril Rd and then up Two Bays and down Humphreys for a bit of a change. Or turn at Mt Eliza Way and follow that through until it rejoins the highway, but that has a couple of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings so best in the early morning.

Happy to join you for some rides and show you around if you like :-)

Thanks for the tips! I'm in Frankston, and yes saw plenty of cyclists out this morning on the Nepean :). I'll have to do a bit of exploring!